1. Do you have a cat-related question?

Please create an account (it's free!) and post your question in one of our cat care forums. Click here for a tutorial on how to start a new thread in the forums.

No cat question? You're still welcome to join us to talk about cats, share pictures and much more!

Thoughts on a Trump government

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by winchester, Nov 16, 2016.

1. kittens mom

kittens mom TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 27, 2015
    Moriarty, New Mexico
    That is my understanding. Although take care of NK is a subjective. At the very least it might rein him in a bit

2. xlpooper

xlpooper TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    Honeymoon from Hell: The Liberal Media vs. President Trump

IMO the liberal media doesn't care about this country much, if at all.

kittens mom purraised this.
  3. kittens mom

Aug 27, 2015
    Moriarty, New Mexico
    The only thing the liberals care about is stopping Trump from doing anything even if it benefits the country. Its all about them losing power at the federal level. There are several members of congress that appear to have become totally unhinged.

xlpooper purraised this.
  4. jamescalifornia

jamescalifornia TCS Member Adult Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ And people wonder why President Trump gets perturbed at the media . American news has pretty much gone the way of entertainment and flash. They want ratings and revenue - not so much ethical journalism. It it filtered and selective reporting and most likely is tainted to the liberal side. I watch it mostly for the local news . A better source of international politics and business are : Katty Kay World News , BBC News, DW News ( European ) French 24, NHK Newsline ( Japan ) Nightly Business Report ( MSNBC ). All of these are in English and are similar to what US news broadcasting used to be . No hipe, little crosstalk , "just the facts" style reporting.

xlpooper and kittens mom purraised this.
  5. kittens mom

Aug 27, 2015
    Moriarty, New Mexico
    I can remember when news anchors didn't roll their eyes and make snide comments.

6. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    You have to go go back a very long way. The shift started with the Vietnam War.

7. kittens mom

Aug 27, 2015
    Moriarty, New Mexico
    Oh there were annoying moments but for the most part , especially the evening world news was pretty straight forward.

8. kskatt

kskatt TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jul 31, 2015
  9. jamescalifornia

jamescalifornia TCS Member Adult Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ A very short candid interview with President Trump concerning N. Korea & employment :

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 9:15 PM
    xlpooper and kittens mom purraised this.
  10. kittens mom

Aug 27, 2015
    Moriarty, New Mexico
    Well I see the usual boycott anything to do with President Trump but one if your own likes says there had been no tangible change in bookings or cancellations. If bookings go down there will be lots of deals out there for citizens here and abroad who will simply make sure they're papers are in order before getting on the plane.

1CatOverTheLine purraised this.
  11. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Yes the boycott anything and everything. It gets a lot of publicity and people talking to each other in their bubbles. I heard that Ivanka Trumps line had their best year ever last year and sales are still way up. Of course someone is trying to make a big deal out of her merchandise being sold in China. That is common for merchandise going into the Chinese market. There was a thread in the Lounge that went into fewer and fewer cosmetics and hair product lines being cruelty free. The reason is that they have went into the Chinese market. The Chinese require animal testing on all imported products so they can no longer make the cruelty free claim. The Chinese market is huge and more people there now have disposable income so it makes sense.

12. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Alpha Cat

13. donutte

donutte TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 22, 2015
    Chicago area
    I'll admit, I laugh when folks say to boycott anything Trump related. He has his hands in so many things, I'd probably have to quit my day job if I had to boycott everything.

I think the only thing I truly boycott is Walmart. I wouldn't even get Sara's anemia meds there (which were cheaper by far there than anywhere else, even cheaper than my own company with my employee discount).

I'm a bit disgusted with the "guests" at the White House today. Crude bunch of people.

margd purraised this.
  14. kittens mom

Aug 27, 2015
    Moriarty, New Mexico
    Walmart bad, Walmart evil but in this rural community it provides a lot of job and despite all the groaning most are a fair pace ahead of minimum wage. Those cheap prices mean a lot of people have full plates that they wouldn't have if they shopped at our local grocer whose prices can be almost double. Our pharmacy has 8 dollar scripts instead of 4 dollar. I don't have issues with economic reality. I have issues when someone like ( bad word ) Bill Richardson gets on TV and proclaims we need illegals to do the jobs Americans won't do...Like construction. I don't have issues with the H-1B visas when they are competing for extraordinary talent but I have a big problem when our own graduates can't find a job because a company if filling the ranks with foreign workers just to save money. I think it's also fair to point out that part of the issue is education in the US.

jamescalifornia purraised this.
  15. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I hadn't heard of Bill Richardson in a long time. I remember he used to be on TV all the time and acting like he was some kind of expert on every international situation. He is from your state so I guess you still get regular doses of his useless banter, I haven't seen him on any national news shows in a long time. He was one that annoyed me more than most.

16. kittens mom

Aug 27, 2015
    Moriarty, New Mexico
    Someday someone who hasn't been run over by a drunk driver is going to spill the beans on Billy. The internet had been scrubbed shiny clean. Thankfully he is a mostly washed up wanna be trying to find a coattail to ride.

17. winchester

winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    Well, if you don't want to buy products that are not made in America, you cannot buy anything with the Trump name on it....nothing is made in the US.

I don't buy anything from WalMart either; I just don't. Haven't for several years....it's long story, but has little to do with WM's policies toward its employees, although they do play a part.

As for the "guests" (and I use that term loosely), Palin made it into the WH on shirt tails; she certainly wouldn't get there on her own. I saw on the news last night that she made it a point to pose for a picture in front of HRC's portrait. How very refined of her and her co-horts.

And it looks like Donnie needs a history lesson on Korea: Donald Trump said Korea was once part of China. It wasn’t.
    As does Sessions on the "island in the Pacific": https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/us/politics/jeff-sessions-judge-hawaii-pacific-island.html?_r=0

Just when you think we can't sink any lower, we do.

LotsOfFur purraised this.
  18. donutte

donutte TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 22, 2015
    Chicago area
    What you said reminds me of a documentary I watched once about fast food or eating in general (or something like that, forget the focus of it). The parents basically justified feeding their kids fast food every day because it was all they could afford. Vegetables were so much more expensive, which is pretty dang sad. Basically, Walmart is the poster child for a lot of things I see wrong here. I'm glad they help some people, but I think they are gonna hurt us more down the line.

Problem these days is a lot of graduates have very grandiose expectations. I have a Masters degree, and no, that's not an automatic raise and promotion these days either. I think college graduates are better off looking for jobs with smaller start-up companies rather than Big Corp, personally. Big Corp cares about $$$$$$. At least with start-ups, there's a pretty decent chance they care about what they are actually doing, care about the local economy, etc.

I would love to see Trump come down on Big Corp in general, but he is Big Corp so I doubt that will happen. Watching these monopolies form before my own eyes makes me so sad. Did you know Chewy was "acquired" by Petsmart?

Trump needs to stop talking about things he doesn't know about. Problem is, he has no idea that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Can't they work out some sort of hand signal to tell Trump to stop talking? He complains about fake news so much, but he is a major source of fake news himself. How freaking ironic.

Then he lets these excuses for human beings come into the WH for a photo shoot with him and to make fools of themselves - yep, quite classy indeed.

artiemom purraised this.
  19. kittens mom

Aug 27, 2015
    Moriarty, New Mexico

The fast food vs. vegetable is a joke. Produce at Walmart is really cheap. A bag of burgers and fries will set you back. A canister of oatmeal is less per serving than sugary cereal. Rice and beans are a complete protein and what we choose over meat quite often. The local grocery here pays their employees squat is insanely expensive. There are some small businesses here that pay close to a living wage.
    Everyone expects their dream job out of college.
    There is nothing wrong with big corporations they usually support a network of smaller businesses Corporation are becoming an issue again because of mergers. That is what Trump needs to revisit.
    Banfield acquired VCA hospitals and Banfield is in PetSmart and now PetSmart has bought Chewy. You can see the possibility for a market cornered and prices being ' fixed'.

All news is fake now because all news is biased therefore no one is telling you what is happening or going on without a slant on it. It's no longer the evening news it's the evening propaganda and talking points review.
    The SatNight skit with Spicer played by McCarthy ? would be dead on 100% accurate if they had the reporters dressed as WWE and Mucha Luchas and a few PowerPuff Girls. Maybe some Streefighter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    xlpooper purraised this.
  20. winchester

winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    What Trump has done in his first 100 days:
    • Signed executive orders reviving both the Keystone XL and the Dakota Access pipelines
    • Appointed Rick Perry as the head of the Department of Energy (and Perry has recently ordered a study to see whether solar and wind development is making the electricity grid less stable....seriously)
    • Appointed Scott Pruitt to head the Environmental Protection Agency (remember, he's the guy who sued the EPA at least 14 times and he's the guy who has close ties with the fossil fuel industry. Does it surprise anyone that Dow Chemical is now pushing the Trump administration to throw out the findings of federal scientists who "point to a family of widely used pesticides as harmful to about 1,800 critically threatened or endangered species"? Why? Because according to Dow, the studies are "fundamentally flawed". Pruitt has already said that he was "reversing an Obama-era effort to bar the use of Dow's chlorpyrifos pesticide on food after recent peer-reviewed studies found that even tiny levels of exposure could hinder the development of children's brains". So....children don't even matter.)
    • EPA threw out a regulation requiring oil and gas companies to provide more detailed information about their drilling facilities
    • Repealed Stream Protection (that protected our water from coal-mining activities)
    • Signed an executive order to dismantle the Clean Water Rule
    I can go on and on, but you get the idea. Money, money, money. At what cost to the environment? At what cost to people? At what cost to wildlife? When we have no water to drink and no air to breathe, then what?

Trump and his cronies need to go. Enough is enough.

LotsOfFur, kskatt, muffy and 2 others purraised this.