Thoughts And Prayers For Tangent

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No major alarm...a "minor alarm" perhaps. If you'll please send prayers and/or good vibes Tangent's way, I'd appreciate it.

A couple of weeks ago, Misfit the feral kitty, scratched Tangent's eye. It didn't look too severe, but it ran a little "goop" for a few days, then appeared to clear up, then ran clear tears or a bit, then would get a bit goopy again, then appear to clear up for a bit.

I was trying to give his immune system a chance to heal his eye. Then he stopped eating and drinking last Sunday. I called the vet Monday morning for the first available appointment, which happened this morning. I have been syringe feeding him food and water all week (...not letting him starve, of course.)

Anyway, things are looking up. We got antibiotics for his eye, a B-12/steroid mix injection for appetite, and sub-Q fluids or mild dehydration. I also had them run a "Chem 10" blood test, as I have suspected that his kidneys are deteriorating for a while (he's almost 14 years old).

We've been home from the vet appointment about 6 hours, and he still isn't terribly interested in food. He just ate a couple teeny-tiny bites in the last few minutes. A good sign. That was the first he has eaten without a syringe since Sunday morning.

Requesting good thoughts and prayers from the community here to push him back over the edge to good health and happiness. He's a wonderful kitty. I need him to stick around on this side of the ground a while longer. :lovecat:

By the way, his blood tests indicated no kidney or liver problems and no diabetes. :yess:

Like I said this is not a "major alarm", just a request for positive vibes until we get Tangent back to eating and feeling better. Thank you in advance. :grouphug2:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Sending much :heartshape: to Tangent! Deep calming breaths. In through the nose...out through the mouth...in through the nose...out through the mouth...in through the nose...out through the mouse. No no no! Mouth, not mouse! Unless Tangent would prefer a mouse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouth, not mouse! Unless Tangent would prefer a mouse.
Thank you for the laugh. Perhaps I should have tried the "mouse" instead of the syringe. :)

And thank everyone else too! Power of positive thinking works wonders. :heartshape:

Tangent has finished a few more small bites of food, so I keep adding a few more small bites to his saucer at a time. He has voluntarily eaten about 25-30% of a normal sized meal over the last couple of hours....first time since Sunday morning.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tangent has finished a few more small bites of food, so I keep adding a few more small bites to his saucer at a time. He has voluntarily eaten about 25-30% of a normal sized meal over the last couple of hours....first time since Sunday morning.
Hallelujah! That is most wondrous news! Yay, Tangent! Keep up the good work! :cheerleader:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the support again everyone. :rock:

Morning update.

This morning, I gave Tangent his antibiotic and needed to wait one hour before food, which we did.

Then I offered Tangent 1 ounce of food. He usually devours 1.5 - 1.7 ounces per meal when he feels well. He only ate 6/10ths of the ounce...but at least he did eat and not try to bury it like cat poop.

I'm leaving the rest down while I go get ready for work. If he doesn't finish that, I'll syringe a bit more food into him before I leave the house, and leave out some soupy canned food.

I'll leave him some food either way, but I have to shut all the pets in separate rooms to leave food out for one pet.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I called in late to work, as we just got hit with a strong line of thunderstorms and pummeling rain and my job is 25 miles away.

Tangent has eaten 1.3 ounces of food so far this morning, so things are definitely looking up! :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tangent ate every bite of his food yesterday evening and was meowing at me this morning to get out of bed and get his breakfast! He inhaled that meal as well, so it looks like he is feeling much better. :party3:

His infected eye still looks a little bloodshot, but we have a few more days on the course of antibiotics, so I expect it will heal up fine.

A big thank you to everyone who offered thoughts, prayers and general support for Tangent! :heartshape:
Looks like we are well on our way back to normal. :sunshine: