Those Yearly Blood Check

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anybody do this yearly?
I started doing this last year since one of my cat had cancer.
So far my cat is a healthy 12 year old cat.
Her seizures went back too once every 3 months
And no more UTI like she did I think 4 years ago.
I hope this is a good year for her! Of course she did something new patting my head in middle of night

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have gotten annual bloodwork done on my cats since we adopted them as kittens. Now that they are seniors (10 years old) we get their bloodwork done every six months. I guess I'm probably paranoid since our last three cats all got chronic kidney disease :frown:. (I have learned a LOT about nutrition since then though, hoping to avoid that with my remaining cats :crossfingers: )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no sorry about those kidney disease.
I just hope the can fancy food is good for her because I can't get her to eat better brands.
Hopefully my cat will live the fullest

I have gotten annual bloodwork done on my cats since we adopted them as kittens. Now that they are seniors (10 years old) we get their bloodwork done every six months. I guess I'm probably paranoid since our last three cats all got chronic kidney disease :frown:. (I have learned a LOT about nutrition since then though, hoping to avoid that with my remaining cats :crossfingers: )

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet can't draw blood on Mingo unless he's sedated, and last time the vet showed me the estimate, it was $200 for the blood test alone. I turned it down. The vet has never asked for one on Lily. I really can't afford the additional cost for two kitties.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (15+ yo) gets a geriatric check up, including blood tests (CBC, Chemistry Profile, T4) twice a year now. Given her age, it is worth it to make sure if anything is brewing we will know it at the onset and can react to it with the appropriate treatment/care. I realize that it is easier for me to afford it since I only have one cat.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! New cat owner here...I’m just wondering what does the bloodwork check for??
I'm not sure how good a job I will do explaining, but, I'll try.

Bloodwork, just like people's bloodwork, can show things like the size of a red blood cell. Big red blood cells, for example, can be an indication of B vit deficiencies.

Another example is that It measures all sorts of chemical compounds for the liver and kidney functions (and other areas). If they are off, or at a dangerous level, it can indicate a pre-cursor for something serious to follow and would allow time to be aware and make changes / preventative measures. At least where we could.

This is very light reading, but an easy read that says it a bit better than I can I think:

What Laboratory Tests Tell You About Your Cat's Health | petMD

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! New cat owner here...I’m just wondering what does the bloodwork check for??
As mentioned above, it can show things same as for humans. Things like diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid issues, anemia, infections, sometimes even cancer. Here is yet another article about it: Cat Blood Test Results Explained

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no sorry about those kidney disease.
I just hope the can fancy food is good for her because I can't get her to eat better brands.
Hopefully my cat will live the fullest
Depending on which Fancy Feast you are feeding, a lot of folks have it in their rotation. The pates are best, because they don't typically contain wheat, corn, soy, etc., but now some of their pates do have some of those ingredients since they started coming up with some new ones. But their CLASSIC line (also called GOURMET, depending on where you live) is pretty healthy. BUT, in my humble opinion, any wet food is better than an all dry diet. As a matter of fact, since I've had so many kidney cats in the past, not only do I no longer feed dry food, I also add in filtered water to my guys' wet food, just to make sure they are well hydrated.

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how good a job I will do explaining, but, I'll try.

Bloodwork, just like people's bloodwork, can show things like the size of a red blood cell. Big red blood cells, for example, can be an indication of B vit deficiencies.

Another example is that It measures all sorts of chemical compounds for the liver and kidney functions (and other areas). If they are off, or at a dangerous level, it can indicate a pre-cursor for something serious to follow and would allow time to be aware and make changes / preventative measures. At least where we could.

This is very light reading, but an easy read that says it a bit better than I can I think:

What Laboratory Tests Tell You About Your Cat's Health | petMD
Thanks for the explanation! Doing regular bloodwork for cat never crossed my mind before! I will make sure to discuss it with my vet next time.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my boy Snowball..done yearly...especially since hes gotten older..11yrs...if necessary would do every six months..If the VET was trying to keep an eye on something in particular..Older cats REALLY need the senior profile..n Snowball gets THAT NOW....Its like us humans..it helps to stay on top of things with yrly blood work..

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet can't draw blood on Mingo unless he's sedated, and last time the vet showed me the estimate, it was $200 for the blood test alone. I turned it down. The vet has never asked for one on Lily. I really can't afford the additional cost for two kitties.
I have one that I think will end up needing a relaxation pill as well. We'll find out soon enough, but I understand what you mean, vet costs are high where I live as well. We do what we can. You are taking them to the Doctor so that's really important! :-) :-)

Thanks for the explanation! Doing regular bloodwork for cat never crossed my mind before! I will make sure to discuss it with my vet next time.
Glad that the information helps! You are not alone in not knowing.

I had one cat (before this bunch-o-crazy) my first, and no one ever told me he needed anything. He never had shots and only went to the Doctor if I thought something was off. I knew he needed food, freshwater, litter box and cleaning it often, and playing with him. That was it.

The doctor never even mentioned annual visits or bloodwork or anything when I brought him in the odd time he looked a bit off. Kitty lived a nice long life ... luckily.

Boy what I know now in comparison to then.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shudder in horror when I think about how my mother treated our cats back in the '50s. She only took them to the vet to put them to sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Seeing how most do 6 months wow. I hope my cat won't run into problems. I wish I had thought of it sooner but no idea how blood checks for cancer since it showed white blood cells off on my cat who I had to let go cause of cancer

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, of course. I've been taking my dog for a check-up at least once a year too since he was a small puppy. Hima the cat was hospitalized in January 2019, I took her again for a small check-up in March(no blood test) and again in June (blood test), will do again around December.

Normally though my rule is if there is no issue it's once a year for an adult pet, twice a year for a senior or chronic disease pet. Actually with my dog we go more often but it's also because he's fine at the vet. Hima gets way too nervous so in addition to financial concern, I always have to make a pros-cons calculation, if it's riskier to take her to the vet and put her through all that stress. :ohwell:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is 4 and my vet has never suggested it at a well cat visit. She just had one because she had her teeth cleaned and needed it for the anesthesia. She is healthy so far. I would probably do whatever my vet suggested. They aren't exactly bargain basement vets, but I don't think they gouge (well, that gabapentin capsule was out of line, but...) so I kind of trust them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My geriatric cat got yearly blood checks and her CKD was caught very early in January of 2018. It is well controlled still with just the prescription wet food and I think that is because it was caught so early. After a month on the food only one number was just a little out of range and her last blood work was still the same. Because of the CKD she gets checked every 6 months. She was 11 when she started getting yearly blood work.