Those of you with a Kindle or other e-reader, come on in!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a good case for mine that I got for Christmas. I'm trying to decide if I should save up for a case that has a light on it, or buy the two seperate. I'm getting it from Amazon so I don't get to see them in person - so if someone has one or the other, I would love an opinion

I'm also looking at getting a skin (protective cover) for it too - but I don't know if I need both? Basically I just need help

Thanks!

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the Nook for Christmas and, so far, I'm in love with it! I am not a very techie person, but I love my Nook. I had wanted either the Kindle or Nook, but my brother decided the Nook was the better option for me and I think he was right. It's seriously awesome and I'm sure everyone who has received an e-reader will find theirs to be just as wonderful in the coming days, weeks, and months.

I'm not sure about all of the accessories for the Kindle, but, from what I understand, they are similar to what is available for the Nook. Along with my Nook, my brother purchased me a leather case. And, today, with money from Christmas, I went out and purchased a protective film kit so that my screen and touch screen would not get scratched. I highly recommend the film (the same that is used on touch screen phones and whatnot) as it does help reduce scratches, dings, and other accidents. And, the leather case is wonderful as well. I've seen neoprene cases and other types of cases, but I like mine the best - though it was pricey (per my brother it was $29.99). The protective film was $14.95.

My birthday is in just a couple of days and I know I'll be getting other Nook accessories and so I've made a list of what I want. I'll be getting an LED light as well as some gift cards. I saw the cases with the lights, but I prefer having them separate. But, that's just me. There are just so many accessories and so little time, lol. A lot of everything is not necessary, but I do think the case and the protective film are important. However, it's just up to you and what you like! I hope you love your Kindle as much as I love my Nook -- enjoy it! And, of course, keep us posted on what all you decide!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a Kindle for Christmas too, from my sister. I also got a light but she said she thought it would come with a case (hers did, it's an earlier model) so she is also going to get me a case. She recommended the M Edge cases.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't see any covers with lights when I got my Kindle (in 2009). I have a "standard" leather cover and a separate booklight (which in a pinch doubles as a flashlight). I didn't bother with the protective film since there's no touchscreen and the cover serves as protection, though it's not a bad idea, especially if it's non-reflective.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got the Kobo for Christmas and I'm having a BLAST with it! I really want one of the Fusia cases as well as a light, but everything has been sold out around here. I'm hoping that when I get paid on Friday, they'll have more stock in.

Just so we can help each other out, what are some of the best websites to get ebooks from?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a kindle app on my phone. Haha I wanted a kindle in the worst way ever but when I got my new phone I found the kindle app and its been heaven since then.....but not for bfs wallet haha although I take advantage of the free books all the time.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked e-bay, and you can get two of the protective films for about $6, with free shipping.

We have an older Kindle, and really never use it. I'm thinking the i-pad might be a better buy, so that I can take it on the truck. In my man-purse, of course...

I've been discussing on another forum (and I mentioned it here) that magazine publishers need to start offering their full magazines in kindle or nook form, including all photos and advertisements. The advertisements are important, because that's what really pays for magazines, not subscriptions. And a significant portion of magazine subscription prices actually goes to postage, which would be unneccessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I didn't see any covers with lights when I got my Kindle (in 2009). I have a "standard" leather cover and a separate booklight (which in a pinch doubles as a flashlight). I didn't bother with the protective film since there's no touchscreen and the cover serves as protection, though it's not a bad idea, especially if it's non-reflective.
I didn't know about them either, I thought you had to buy it all seperate. This is the one I was looking at getting:

http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Leathe...3543762&sr=1-2

I wasn't sure if anyone else had it & how they liked the light on it or if it's better to have them seperate. I'm known to lose things easily so I'm thinking the light built in might be good for me

My DH gave me a $25 Amazon gift card to use so I'm thinking of putting that towards it.

As for books and games, I downloaded a few free games "Every Word" is my favorite! Thankfully I'm on Swag Bucks and earn about $25 in Amazon gift cards per month, so I can start buying books and fun accessories in January with my next set of gift cards. Thats one of the reasons I wanted a Kindle over the Nook. With all those free gift cards, I can start buying fun stuff

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a kindle a couple of months ago and love it. Games are half price right now and have been playing Scrabble as I love playing around with letters. I think I have most of their word games. I am on a mission to beat the AI without resorting to using the help feature. Probably impossible the AI has words I never heard of.

As for protective coverings, I just got a Belkin neoprin sleeve for $25. I really haven't been anywhere that I needed to have a light. The screen resolution has been really good even in sunlight or low light. I use mine the most on the Metro commute to work and I don't like bulky things as sometimes I have to stand for awhile. The kindle sans covering is perfect for me, thin and easy to hold. The sleeve though is a necessity as I throw it in my pack after my commute.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I didn't know about them either, I thought you had to buy it all seperate. This is the one I was looking at getting:

I wasn't sure if anyone else had it & how they liked the light on it or if it's better to have them seperate. I'm known to lose things easily so I'm thinking the light built in might be good for me

That looks really nice and practical if you're afraid you'll forget your reading light. The main advantage of a separate light is that you can use it when you're reading hardcover or paperback books or magazines. I've got an LED one with a clip and swivel head that takes two AAA batteries:
LightSource Stylus Booklight

I mainly use it when I want to read in bed.

For free e-books, try here:
ManyBooks
Project Gutenberg
ebook3000
freekindlebooks

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

That is the cover that DH got me to go with my Kindle. I LOVE it!! The light is really powerful and I can read the book in complete darkness. It's an LED and very bright. Plus I like not having to cart around an additional piece...

ENJOY!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Calico76

That is the cover that DH got me to go with my Kindle. I LOVE it!! The light is really powerful and I can read the book in complete darkness. It's an LED and very bright. Plus I like not having to cart around an additional piece...

ENJOY!
Thanks for the great input! I think I'll go with that one. I was just worried on how bright it was. I saw the pictures on the website, but it's good to have another person's opinion. Now to choose a color

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

That looks really nice and practical if you're afraid you'll forget your reading light. The main advantage of a separate light is that you can use it when you're reading hardcover or paperback books or magazines. I've got an LED one with a clip and swivel head that takes two AAA batteries:
LightSource Stylus Booklight

I mainly use it when I want to read in bed.

For free e-books, try here:
ManyBooks
Project Gutenberg
ebook3000
freekindlebooks
Oh thanks for those websites! I'll have to check them out

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found that they also have cookbooks for the Kindle - ahhhh!! I think I'm in love

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a Sony Reader Touch for Christmas and looove it. I ordered a stick on protective cover, and a clear gel cover that comes with a screen protector. Plus, it came with a sleeve holder...thing.

I am considering buying a water protective cover... the only thing I miss about this vs books, is reading in the tub! So, water cover and I should be able to do that again.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Be very careful. Jamie knocked a glass of water over Sunday night and got my Kindle a bit wet. Although I dried it right away, I couldn't "turn pages". I had to use a blow dryer on low around the keyboard, then do a "factory reset". It's working fine again, but it took me almost an hour and a half this morning to download all my books again.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I bought my nook I bought the neoprene case in hot pink so its easily found. I carry mine in at the gym and I thought it would be better protected. Got the hot pink LED light that clips on the top for Christmas for use mainly in the car at night when traveling..

As for site one can join the free library of philadephia for a small annual fee, download a certain application that the site mentions and use the site for downloading books.

If some of us have nooks we can lend certain books of ours for free with the lend me feature. I have a good 50 books downloaded (all for free) but mainly classics not any new ones. If anyone is interested though let me know.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just bought my mum a Kindle, and got the non-light version of that cover - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product.

I got red, because it goes faster
And it's her favourite colour... I figure if she decides she needs a light, she can get one later. She thinks she doesn't want a Kindle, but she spends 45 minutes each way on a train to work, and is an avid reader, so I think it would be perfect for her. I hope she does indeed like it!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am such a moron, I got a sony E-reader months ago and have no clue how to use it.

I just want to get all of Shirley Jackson's books. When I search on sony's site, only one comes up and I have that in hardcover and its not my favorite.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are Swag Bucks?

I wish I could use my Kindle in the car or on the train... I get motion sick if I read in a moving vehicle.
I guess I could use it for audiobooks, but it'd be easier to carry my tiny Sansa Clip mp3 player around in that case.

The Kindle is supposed to also be coming out with a new feature to allow you yo lend books to others, with similar restrictions to the Nook (14 day period, can't lend the same book to the same person more than once.)