those darn cats!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I am at a loss. I have tried many fish oils on the market, salmon, sardine, mackerel & my cats refuse to eat their food when I add it in. Same thing with probiotics. I want my babies to have the benefits from these goodies.

What I've been doing is putting pumpkin down on the plate, adding in 1 pump of fish oil & 1 scoop of probiotics & mixing it all up. Then I add the gravy from the canned food & mix it all in & then dump the cat food which is shredded chicken & then mix it all up.

I am almost to the point of making the medicine & then syringing it to them!

Any ideas/suggestions?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pumpkin could actually be their issue. Many cats simply don't like it. Additionally, with a lot of additive, you need to start small and work your way up to the typical "serving". I know with probiotics, I had to start with a tiny, tiny amount, then gradually increase to the correct dosage, and I actually split their daily dosage into two, morning and night. My cats actually refuse anything with any type of fish oils too, and I think the problem may be because those things become rancid so quickly. Not sure, but since they do, it's possible once I may have given it to them when it was turning bad, and they've never forgotten. But I figure as long as I am feeding them a very good diet and feed them treads of things like the minnows mentioned above, we're good.