Thoracic Duct Ligation

trickyspark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 year old cat Muffin has been suffering from idiopathic chyloyhorax for about 6 weeks. Once a week she has around 100 to 150cc of fluid drawn.

Her blood results, liver values, etc., are all good. They cannot find a reason. Heart, kidneys are good. She eats, drinks, plays, grooms, all like a healthy cat. About 7 days later she will start becoming winded, fluid is drawn, repeat.

Has anyone had any experiences with this disease, or the surgery on the thoracic duct? What is the typical cost? Is it a high risk surgery? Any information is so much appreciated.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you changed Muffin's diet to a low fat diet?  How about Rutin?  Are your giving her that supplement?  We have had  a few cats here with this issue, and they use Rutin.

As far as the surgery, I have not heard of anyone doing that, but did mnage to find this site that discusses more than one surgery.  It appears that THORACIC DUCT LIGATION WITH PERICARDECTOMY is the best option for cats, although it is very difficult and invasive.  Here's the website:  http://www.marvistavet.com/html/chylothorax.html

Here's a thread that has several links about chylothorax in it:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/228559/rutin-therapy-for-ideopathic-chylothorax

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trickyspark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea, she has been on Rutin, antibiotics, and lasix with no improvement. Ultrasound showed a solid tissue mass between one lung and the ribcage and some "scarrin/roughness" on top of her liver. They said it could be anything from an injury, cancer, bacteria. They said the liver could have been pinched at the top by the fluid buildup.

They suggested a chest tube. Has anyone had a cat with a chest tube before? Is it extremely painful?

She plays, eats, acts great for about 6 days. The fluid is usually back by the 7th day.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 don't recall of anyone having a chest tube put in...would this be permanent?  I honestly don't know much about this health issues.  It just came up very recently with someone, so I investigated a little and that's how I knew we'd had other posters with the same issue.  But, sadly, the most recent cat didn't make it.