This Morning I Saw

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are such beatiful animals. My neighbor told me that she saw two foxes mating in my back yard last week. That worries me because I've heard that they have been known to kill cats.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a family of red foxes living in my backyard. Beautiful and they don't bother the cats at all. Foxes pose no threat to cats. It's the coyotes you need to look out for and even then, here in the suburbs where I live the coyotes would rather just eat the pet food sitting out instead of chasing after a cat they may not catch. Most wildlife I found are opportunistic eaters (including us). They'd rather not exert the energy to hunt and may not catch prey when there is food there already and no having to run and chase it down.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. I have had foxes come and go for years to eat a snack and they have never bothered the cats, even just feet away. They don't even snarl at them as the raccoons do. Coyotes are a different story though, they will even kill foxes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foxes are smaller than they look, only 12-15 pounds under all the fluff. So they'd rather not start anything with a cat their own size. That would be like a human starting something with a mountain lion, lol.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently saw a photo on you tube where a fox was getting ready to kill a cat. For some reason the fox did not kill the cat. I did not open it to see why.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure likes to play tag with the foxes and groundhogs. They all get along very well. Coyotes are terrified of Treasure because he almost killed a coyote when spotted in my yard last year. And the coyotes here in my area have been spotted with severe mange last summer. Not sure how that's progressing or if they're well now but someone on Next Door said he had his dog playing frisbee at a park. Dog ran after the frisbee right by a coyote that just looked at him and walked off. But we have never had a problem with the foxes here at all. I think I shared a video of the red fox playing with Treasure last spring.

Last edited: