This may be off topic but what about preserving freshness?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I imagine I’m like a lot of multi cat owners and buy the bigger 6 lb bags of cat kibble. Yes, about 1/2 way through the bag the cat kids start the “ I’m not sure I wanna eat this” it’s stale “ etc. while I always force the air out of the sack, roll the top down tight and close pin the top nothing seems to really prevent this reaction. No, it’s not the food…if I open a new fresh sack it’s “game on!” Any suggestions for preserving that freshness…I.e. container or?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
you’re best off freezing it on airtight containers :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, even if you don't freeze it, taking and splitting portions into airtight containers might suffice. That means the only one repeatedly getting air exposure is the one you are currently using. Mark the containers with the date opened and keep the original bag for reference.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
you’re best off freezing it on airtight containers :)
:yeah:
I use kibble for treats only so it lasts a long time. I divide it into ziplocks and put it in the freezer, pulling out one bag at a time which I keep in the fridge. The added benefit is that freezing for at least three days kills food mites (according to my vet).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe try those vacuum sealers for food? Short of that expense, try a food storage container. Transfer the food out of the bag into the container. There are various types to fit in your kitchen space: