This is sugar

Freshpuppet3489

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve posted before about another cat, and I wanna clarify that these are my boyfriends cats, so I don’t live in the same house, but I see them all the time. Someone said she looked like she’s partially Manx? She’s probably just a dsh but I’m curious. Her hair is medium length, she has a very stubby body, very short back, and her tail is shorter than his other cats. She is 14lbs and 6 years old. He got her as a stray, the vets kept saying she’s a dwarf cause of her build and he sees it but I don’t mainly cause her legs are an average size, while everything else is non-proportional. But since most cats are not any specific breed, I’m not sure. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freshpuppet3489

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last photo was an accident, so just ignore that one lol

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks normal to me in these pictures, just a bit chubby. Looking at this picture, even though her tail isn't particularly long, it also doesn't appear to be abnormally shortened in any way, because the tail shape is tapered normally. Cats with mutations that shorten the tail tend to have more of a blunt appearance at the end of the tail.

8AEBD772-3B37-4C9E-90F2-C7A09A89F74E.jpeg

Freshpuppet3489

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks normal to me in these pictures, just a bit chubby. Looking at this picture, even though her tail isn't particularly long, it also doesn't appear to be abnormally shortened in any way, because the tail shape is tapered normally. Cats with mutations that shorten the tail tend to have more of a blunt appearance at the end of the tail.

View attachment 350181
[/QUOTE
Lol she is quite chubby, the vets aren’t really that good where I live, they don’t really examine the animals and just say what they think from just glancing. I’ll take your word, you seem to know a lot about cats, unlike myself, regardless I’ll love her no matter what, thank you ❤

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are like people, and so some have longer legs, some have shorter legs, some have bigger ears, some have smaller ears, etc. Just normal body variation, it's only when it's extreme that it's a sign of a disorder like dwarfism.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Lettuce. It's a short tail, but doesn't look abnormal in any way; it's just short.

Evolution tends to shorten the tail of anything that doesn't necessarily need a longer tail, so IMO it's not only possible but likely to see shorter and shorter tails in random-bred cats all the time, and breeders that want the tails long will have to keep an eye on them.

The only long tails I see on random-bred cats are in rural and/or wooded areas where they are ostensibly at least partially arboreal, and this makes a heck of a lot of sense considering what I know about monkeys. (City monkeys have shorter tails than their forest counterparts.)

Also, an ultrashort coat (the super, super short where you can see the grain of the fur reverse on the chest) tends to make tails look even shorter than they are. I can't see if she has the telltale chest-ruff because she's so dark black.

Her eyes are unusually pretty, especially the way they change depending on the light.

Freshpuppet3489

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Lettuce. It's a short tail, but doesn't look abnormal in any way; it's just short.

Evolution tends to shorten the tail of anything that doesn't necessarily need a longer tail, so IMO it's not only possible but likely to see shorter and shorter tails in random-bred cats all the time, and breeders that want the tails long will have to keep an eye on them.

The only long tails I see on random-bred cats are in rural and/or wooded areas where they are ostensibly at least partially arboreal, and this makes a heck of a lot of sense considering what I know about monkeys. (City monkeys have shorter tails than their forest counterparts.)

Also, an ultrashort coat (the super, super short where you can see the grain of the fur reverse on the chest) tends to make tails look even shorter than they are. I can't see if she has the telltale chest-ruff because she's so dark black.

Her eyes are unusually pretty, especially the way they change depending on the light.
It’s cool learning about Feline evolution, I’ll have to tell him. Her eyes are so unique, sometimes depending on the lighting her eyes are light aqua, sometimes pale yellow, or pale green. Surprisingly bright, thank you