This is something I noticed being single,

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i met blaine a long time before we had cats, and blaine never wanted them at all he said he didnt like cats he keeps saying it now i know he doesnt mean it at all especially when i hear saying to Flash how much he loves her and then to Soots i love you to little man

just takes time to find the right man.... and he maybe one that says he doesnt like them because he doesnt yet know the love and attention a cat can give

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

My motto is better alone than in bad company
I am also single, and I live a true single lifestyle... I have been single an happy for the last 8 years, and got so used to it that I am not too sure about changing my life around to accommodate someone's wants... One thing is for sure - Don't like cats, too bad.... Next!
My cats are my family, in my life, they come first; it is me and them. This is their house, my bed is Bugsy's bed, I have shelves on the walls, cats trees, boxes around, window sills... Can't deal with it? I am sure there are people who can...
I truly believe a person will love you for who you are, and when that person comes, your kitties will be just a nice part of the package
Word of wisdom, Carolina.
My motto is "love me--love my cats." I'm been lucky dating guys who have liked cats. They really are out there sweetie. My last relationship (of 13 years) was with a man who saved 2 of my cats from a burning building! So these guys do exists and you will meet yours someday.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by frankthetank

Have you tried online dating??
That is how I met my husband. I didn't want to really advertise that at 24 I was trying to meet people online, but I liked it. It was easier to weed out people who I had no interest in, and gave me a chance to talk to some people that I probably never would have given a chance.
I talked to my (now) husband through messenger for a couple weeks, then we exchanged numbers and talked/texted before finally meeting in public. I didn't really trust people who wanted to meet right away, I didn't want to meet someone in person unless I thought there might be an actual connection. Its worth a shot I think...and you can add in your profile that you are looking for someone who likes cats?
I have been on-line dating since April and have had lots of dates. There is a place for you to put in about pets you have and pets you like. This has worked for me.

So it , toohas Butzie. She appears when she wants to get the guy I am dating to rate him after the first date. She charms them & wants to be petted. If they pet her & like her, the guy is a keeper.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nah, it just takes the right one!! And seriously, I found DH when I stopped looking.

Now my friend is having issues with her BF because she has a cat. I want to slap him twice for it. I've known the guy nearly as long as I have DH and can say that my friend is the girl for him. He has a thing about hair. Not just cat hair, but even human hair, it grosses him out. But I don't see him insisting on dating bald women....what is he doing with girl with long blond hair?

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

You're panicking for no reason love.
The right guy is out there and someday you will find him and he will accept you and the fact that your cat is a part of your life. In the mean time, just focus on making yourself happy and enjoying life. Don't change who you are or what you love for people who want a "fake you". You know what I mean? Maybe you could try some reputable online dating websites- I bet you'd find an easier match that way if you could weed through people you have something in common with.

Originally Posted by farleyv

Bottom line....if a guy loves you, he will do anything to make you happy. And along the way, find out that actually cats aren't so bad after all.
DH is allergic and when we got married my RB girl was very sick and on IVs and several meds. She passed 3 weeks after our wedding so she never came to live with us. I went for almost 2 years with no kitties in my home. Then DH was going to deploy and my mom said something that confirmed what he'd been thinking. I needed a cat. We ended up with 2. (Mooch and Noodles were littermates and the last 2 of the litter left at the shelter.) He liked them right away; but he had to learn to be a cat person. We can't sleep with them in bed because of his allergies, but in all other ways, he's a true cat lover now!
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You will find someone just right for you and will accept you and your kitty as a package deal, and love both of you!!!

As soon as I know that someone doesn't like pets, or just tolerates them, or is allergic etc. etc. etc. I end the relationship. I'm not going anywhere without my kitty, and I refuse to let my kitty take a backseat.

I want someone to dote on me and my kitty! If the guy can't do that, there is no place in my life for him.

I've actually had a guy that I "met" at one of those online dating sites tell me that based on my profile and how we got along on the telephone, that he would like to meet me in person and explore a possible long term relationship if all went well. The catch? I can't remember if he either didn't like, or was allergic to cats, but he told me that I would have to get rid of my cat. I said "See ya!" and never talked to him again outside of one last message which was a reply to his online message to me which said something along the lines of ......

You will pick a cat over a relationship with a great guy?!

My response......

Yep!

Good for you!!!

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband thought he was allergic to cats... he's not. LOL! He loves Lilly, tolerates Pandora and doesn't really like Hurley. In my husband's defence, Hurley is a MAJOR brat and Pandora is extremely needy. My husband likes Lilly because she is affectionate but independent.

My husband understands that my love for animals came before him (we met when we were teenagers). I've had animals my whole life and that is not about to change. I could almost say my animal friends were my teachers and parental figures. My parents were terrible, extremely abusive people. My animals provide unconditional love and were there for me when no human was.

I would never give any of my animals up for a human. Animals are better.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If someone is not willing to give a relationship a chance because they 'don't like' cats then they're probably not worth the effort. If their heart isn't big enough to accept how important your cat is to you then in my opinion they won't be very committed to your relationship.
Relationships take a lot of work, if a cat is such an obstacle would you really trust them to stick around and work things out if the going really got tough?
I met my husband before I had any cats. He thought he wasn't a cat person and was reluctant to get one but saw how much it meant to me and relented. We now have two cats and he is utterly converted.
Most people who claim not to like cats actually have no experience of them, if the men you meet are to selfish to see how important a part of your life your cat is then you are better off on your own.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M had three cats when I met him but all of the guys I know love my cats, our friends usually get upset if Quincy doesn't come bouncing in to jump on them and feel like he is somehow upset with them (when is reality something better like a bowl of water has caught his attention)

That being said, I would only date a real cat lover, between the rescue work, feral caretaking etc I don't think someone who just tolerates cats would understand. I am sure they would be fine with mine but not all the extras and the fosters etc

But there are cat loving guys out there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are some out there and I do know part of it is that I am 30 and kind of feeling like that song by LeAnne Rhimes "Somethings Gotta Give". And now I am watching Coyote Ugly and here I am single with a cat and in eight hours no messages on my phone. Blah. So I am kind of in a funk right now. But I do love my kitty she is the best medicine for anything and better company than any man I have ever known.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I'm Keith, I live by the beach and I'm single and almost 42. I love cats much more than dogs and tend to think of myself as a kind of cat whisperer. I "get" cats....

Now, don't flood my mailbox with offers to move out here with me, but take a number and I'll get to you...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

I'm Keith, I live by the beach and I'm single and almost 42. I love cats much more than dogs and tend to think of myself as a kind of cat whisperer. I "get" cats....

Now, don't flood my mailbox with offers to move out here with me, but take a number and I'll get to you...
and why should I take a number when you are already waving.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's them, not you. When I was on the dating scene (I've been married 6 years now), not too long ago, I really had no trouble finding men who at least tolerated, if not loved, cats. I met most through an online dating service, though, so I could state, "Must love pets" up front, in my profile, and also mentioned I had cats. This probably helped. Of course, one doesn't get this option when dating the "traditional" way!

When I met DH online, he sent me pics of 2 of the most important things in his life--a pic of his Jeep, and one of his cat, Jasmine. You can bet THAT melted this hard, kitty-lovin' old heart! When we had to get Jasmine put down last June, I saw DH cry for the very first time in our relationship. He ADORED that cat.

I have always suspected that a lot of people sort of enjoy saying, "I don't care for cats." It seems to be a kind of fashionable, cool attitude to have. I have never heard people say the same thing about dogs in the same way/tone of voice. Also, many women I know who don't like cats won't admit to being terrified of them, but other things they say indicate they are scared of cats, it;s not just a dislike. Or, "I don't like adult cats, but I like kittens." Huh??? If you like cats, you'd like both, perhaps preferring one age over another, but you'd still 'fess up to liking the feline race in general, IMHO.

My advice: hold out for the guy who not only loves cats, but also loves yours. Our cats are such an important part of our marriage. I always enjoy telling DH about their daily antics when he comes home from work. Our lives revolve around 9 ungrateful, arrogant, shedding, litter-scattering, demanding, 10lb balls of fur! And despite that, we love 'em all!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

and why should I take a number when you are already waving.
True, but I was just putting myself out there...letting you know we are on here also...

Actually, my living situation has me in a room in big house while I look after my aunt, who has slight frontal lobe dementia.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are out there. DH adores the cats and they love him. Well OK Spooky glares at DH like he wants to kill him, but I think he's just possessive of his Mommy. DH is great with the cats. He always does food/litter/treat inventory to make sure they don't need anything. He gives them special goodies that I don't usually, loves on them every chance he gets. The other day he found a cat hair on his desk at work and brought it home and told Mulder "Look Buddy - Daddy took you to work with him today!" He has a picture of Mulder up on his desk (Mulder is his kitty out of the three) next to the picture of me so he can look at what he has to look forward to when he gets home...

When I was dating I met a nice guy online (incidentally where I met DH). I had put in my ad that I had two cats and whoever replied needed to like cats also or I wasn't interested. I even included a portrait of Spooky and I to show I was really serious about the cat thing... Well this guy replies and says he loves cats. But then he always wanted to do things at his house not mine. When he did come over he ignored the cats, put them down when they would jump up on his lap, complained about cat hair, etc. Turns out he disliked cats and lied about it! I ignored that and figured that he knew I had cats and they were important to me and therefore he must have made up his mind already that we were a package deal and was OK with tolerating them anyway if not liking them. Well, then the time came in the relationship where it was time to start talking commitments and his comment was "Well, if we are ever going to live together you are going to have to get rid of the cats. I don't believe in pets in the house. Maybe we can get you a dog for the back yard." I was floored. We had been dating seriously for well over a year. I left immediately. He told me I was being ridiculous and couldn't believe I would walk away from a serious relationship over such a "small silly thing as a cat". I told him that my cat would never ask me to choose them over him, and if he truly thought I would give up my cats for him he didn't know me at all, and me walking away was preventing both of us from making a huge mistake.

Hang in there! The right guy will come along. I can say that having someone who adores my kitties as much as I do is so much more pleasant than when I was dating the person who just tolerated them. They bring so much joy to my life, and in turn into DH and I's life together!