This is silly, cats that don't spray?

Kitten Kaboodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to breed but my partner is hesitant and his reasoning is fair, he's worried if we have an intact male in the house it will spray. I know with cats personalities can be a bit more defined and have certain expectations depending on the breed. Though I think it's unlikely and I have never heard anything of it I wonder if there are any cat breeds that are less likely to spray even when intact. My first choices that I was considering for breeding would be Laperm or Devon Rex. But if there is no such magical breed that is less likely to have spraying issues what can I do to help insure my spouse that there are ways of dealing with this problem? Thanks for reading!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no magical breed that will never spray. Males of calmer, less hormonal breeds tend to be less terrible about spraying... but you need to be prepared to deal with some spraying / marking, if you are going to keep a whole male.

Also, many whole females pee on things too, when they are in heat.

Most small breeders deal with this by having dedicated rooms for housing males. A good room for housing a male would be a spare bedroom or other room that is easily cleaned and doesn't have a lot of desirable spray / marking targets (such as pillows, laundry or other "soft things"). Even with a male that is not much of a sprayer, you need to have a designated separate space for him, because in most cases you can't have him running the house and freely breeding with all your other cats any time he wants... you need to be able to control who he can mate with, and when they mate.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have only ever had females who sprayed. They were spayed too :sigh:
Same. Rocket sprays bushes all over the place and it's a constant battle to catch her in the house to clean it. The boys sometimes do outside, but rarely.