This grew over night!!! Scared for my cat!

GrinnyGranny

TCS Member
Thread starter
Kitten
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Messages
1
Purraise
1
This grew literally over night. It's never happened before, I've done nothing different the last 4 years I've fed my cat is been the same routine, but now this happened. I'm scared what's inside my cat. What have they been putting in the food? Can I go after the manufacturing company? I really hope she comes thru this healthy. So far no ill effects but it sure looks scary.I feed her yesterday afternoon(April 15,2024) and my daughter found this today,(April 16,2024).
Messenger_creation_ce18f5ff-c646-4335-a3ce-e2ccf66f17fc.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Joined
May 29, 2023
Messages
8,191
Purraise
15,762
Location
South Florida
Hi ,I'm not sure what I'm even looking at covered in mold-it sure didn't happen overnight

I don't know if it's food ,cat regurgitated food or cat poop but whatever it is my guess is your cat found it somewhere in the house( maybe under a couch or somewhere its been hidden(,played with it and left it wherever your daughter found it-- it did not come from inside your cat
 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
46,977
Purraise
23,818
Location
Australia
It's mould. It can grow very rapidly. That's why it's important to not leave wet food out for long.
 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
46,977
Purraise
23,818
Location
Australia

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Joined
May 29, 2023
Messages
8,191
Purraise
15,762
Location
South Florida
Phycomyces is a genus of fungus in the Zygomycota phylum. They are known for their strong phototropism response and helical growth of the sporangium. The best studied species is Phycomyces blakesleeanus.

Phototropism means these hair like structures grow quite rapidly towards light.
Cats normally don't like eating food that has gone mouldy, but keep an eye on her.
Agree completely but it did not come from inside the cat and it seems G GrinnyGranny believes this grew inside her cat- unless I'm not understanding what she's asking.... am I?
 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
46,977
Purraise
23,818
Location
Australia
Agree completely but it did not come from inside the cat and it seems G GrinnyGranny believes this grew inside her cat- unless I'm not understanding what she's asking.... am I?
GrinnyGranny is concerned that her cat ate the food and with what may now be inside her as a result.
 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
46,977
Purraise
23,818
Location
Australia
And this diagram shows how quickly the mould can grow

mould growth.png


 

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Joined
May 29, 2023
Messages
8,191
Purraise
15,762
Location
South Florida
GrinnyGranny is concerned that her cat ate the food and with what may now be inside her as a result.
Ah,I see---I know how fast mold can develop,I completely misread the OP when she said her daughter " found this" I wasn't even clear on what " this" was (cat food,human food ,feces,vomit)
Thanks

So G GrinnyGranny couldn't hurt to contact the food company
 

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Joined
Apr 29, 2022
Messages
5,683
Purraise
9,776
Location
Canada
Most foods should mold. Like Mani says that's why its important to follow food safety. That's really excessive for overnight.

Where did your daughter find it?
 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
16,486
Purraise
7,302
Location
Arizona
I"m curious as to what food this grew on. Brand name?
 

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Joined
Apr 9, 2023
Messages
124
Purraise
238
I"m curious as to what food this grew on. Brand name?
Would also like to know. That white stuff on the pate looks like it's deep in there. I really doubt that can happen in 24 hours. I also occasionally miss a hunk of pate because a cat pushed it behind something and they rarely mold, let alone look anything like this post.
 

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Joined
Jan 13, 2017
Messages
4,114
Purraise
3,864
Location
Where do you think?
Would also like to know. That white stuff on the pate looks like it's deep in there. I really doubt that can happen in 24 hours. I also occasionally miss a hunk of pate because a cat pushed it behind something and they rarely mold, let alone look anything like this post.
Thats why I'm wondering if DD didn't do something funny with a moss ball. It realy does look like moss.
 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
46,977
Purraise
23,818
Location
Australia
Thats why I'm wondering if DD didn't do something funny with a moss ball. It realy does look like moss.
It is growing on the cat food.
It is Phycomycesa a genus of the Kingdom of fungus, but often referred to as mould as mould is a type of Fungi.
canvas.png

It responds to light and grows very rapidly. (see graph in #8)
The light source is directly above it as it isn't bend over (like the left on in the picture above).
The spores may have been in the air in the house, brought in by the cat .. it's hard to know, but it would be very difficult to prove that there were spores in the food before it was opened.
 

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Joined
May 29, 2023
Messages
8,191
Purraise
15,762
Location
South Florida
Would also like to know. That white stuff on the pate looks like it's deep in there. I really doubt that can happen in 24 hours. I also occasionally miss a hunk of pate because a cat pushed it behind something and they rarely mold, let alone look anything like this post.
Doesn't anyone remember the wonderful at home experiments with fungi (& moulds) back in elemtary school?Mani has identified this correctly,if you think back we should all be very familiar with this little guy - now given it grows very rapidly ( with a little help of the dampened paper underneath ,right temp and right light) it typically grows roughly 1mm per hour to the amazement of all 5th graders- which means around 1 inch in 24hrs......so we see the hand behind the tiny specimen and it seems way beyond an inch......perhaps DD is having some fun with Mum?

I remember my Mom would not allow such experiments to unfold in her kitchen- it was down in the basement or not happening- I remember using a piece of my dogs poop for one such experiment and I'm not sure which smelled worse ,the feces or the Phycomycesa as it has a very distinct foul odor!
 
Top