This Fun Quiz Might Identify Your Cat!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know what the rules are on posting links to other sites. If this link is inappropriate, please accept my apologies and remove it.

This is a link to a short quiz that may help identify the type of breed of of you have. It worked for me!

What cat breed(s) does your cat look like?

Back in the spring of 2017 I asked on this forum for help identifying my boys, Greg and Arnold. The experts here said that my boys were mainly norwegian forest cats.

This morning, with Arnold on my lap, I took the above quiz and guess what............ even without me showing any images of my boys, they were identified as norwegian forest cats!

Try the quiz, it is fun and might be helpful to you.

And to those on the site who helped me identify my boys.....thank you and I'm impressed with your skills.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
A very thorough quiz! Those questions are a lot of the things I look at in the breed identification forums. I think it would definitely work better for a cat who is closer to purebred, like Greg and Arnold. Charlie is very clearly Domestic Shorthair, with a mix of a lot of different traits, which probably confused the quiz. He was identified as a Burmese...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very thorough quiz! Those questions are a lot of the things I look at in the breed identification forums. I think it would definitely work better for a cat who is closer to purebred, like Greg and Arnold. Charlie is very clearly Domestic Shorthair, with a mix of a lot of different traits, which probably confused the quiz. He was identified as a Burmese...
I like that the findings also rate in order the similarities your cat may have to other breeds.

I have informed greg and arnold that it seems a virtual certainty they have significant norwegian forest cat breeding. However they seem uninterested in this information. And unlike stereo typical NFCs, are quite happy to watch the falling snow from a heated venue, indoors.

Got to go.....arnold just climbed back into my lap.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried that quiz a couple months ago, but it's harder with a kitten. At this point I have an idea what her adult weight should be, but I wasn't sure then and I remember there's another question about if they're active as an adult.

And I also didn't know if Lelia was going to grow into her ears and big paws at that point. :p

But it's very detailed and if you can get your cat to sit still long enough to see their features it's great - just probably best for adult cats.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried this and it threw up 7 or 8 different breeds in percentages. I think it's because of the behavioral aspect. I think because of his past he just doesn't fit the normal behavior patterns. For example: Most cats like to get into boxes and he wants nothing to do with it. They say not to stare at a cat but he will stare you down without a blink. Most cats are curious when you are doing something in the floor. Like putting something together. He keeps his distance and is more cautious. I've had to be creative dealing with him as he just doesn't act in a lot of ways the way any other cat I've had has acted.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried this and it threw up 7 or 8 different breeds in percentages. I think it's because of the behavioral aspect. I think because of his past he just doesn't fit the normal behavior patterns. For example: Most cats like to get into boxes and he wants nothing to do with it. They say not to stare at a cat but he will stare you down without a blink. Most cats are curious when you are doing something in the floor. Like putting something together. He keeps his distance and is more cautious. I've had to be creative dealing with him as he just doesn't act in a lot of ways the way any other cat I've had has acted.
regarding the stare thing. most of my cats don't mind it. I look them in the eyes all the time. one of my past cats erlking who was part NFC was really offended by it though. he'd claw your eyes if you dared look at him too long. (I never understood that it was a cat thing because no other cats had been offended by it.) now we have another norwegian and he too seems to be offended by it. in my experience more cats are not offended by direct eye contact than those who are.. but those who are offended by it are very offended by it lol. it's funny how cat language can vary.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
regarding the stare thing. most of my cats don't mind it. I look them in the eyes all the time. one of my past cats erlking who was part NFC was really offended by it though. he'd claw your eyes if you dared look at him too long. (I never understood that it was a cat thing because no other cats had been offended by it.) now we have another norwegian and he too seems to be offended by it. in my experience more cats are not offended by direct eye contact than those who are.. but those who are offended by it are very offended by it lol. it's funny how cat language can vary.
I've never had a cat that got upset by looking in their eyes. Most would just look away and maybe get a coy look and lay their ears back. I had a deaf cat and all communication was through eye contact. Manny will lock eyes as long as you will. If he's across the room he will walk over to me. If he's beside me he'll meow at me. It is funny how some "typical" cat behaviors just don't apply to some cats and some cats follow it to the T.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thefiresidecat thefiresidecat - That's strange - I've had a large number of cats over sixty or so years, and the only one (out of roughly 100 cats, including rescues and TNRs) who's ever gotten annoyed by being "looked straight at," is Bob, my Norwegian Forest Cat. Get close enough to him, and look him right in the face, and he'll swat at you.

bobclose.jpg

"What are you lookin' at?"

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thefiresidecat thefiresidecat - That's strange - I've had a large number of cats over sixty or so years, and the only one (out of roughly 100 cats, including rescues and TNRs) who's ever gotten annoyed by being "looked straight at," is Bob, my Norwegian Forest Cat. Get close enough to him, and look him right in the face, and he'll swat at you.

View attachment 211299

"What are you lookin' at?"
Bob always seems to have that look on his face like "why are you bothering me silly human!" :lol: He may be channeling Morris the cat. Remember that guy?

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really do think its a nfc thing
Being cousins to the Maine Coon, I thought both were the closest that a cat could be similar to dog in personality? I read too that cats see double up close. lol Probably why my youngest tries to pick up kibble as though her paws where hands...to feed herself.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never heard that about cats seeing double up close. nfcs do have a lot of dog like traits. erlking liked to play fetch and definitely knew his name and had a pretty decent sized vocabulary. he definitely understood a lot of what I said. but they do seem to be the only cat that takes offense to being looked at straight in the eyes. I have scars from erl. he did get me straight on in the eye once. other times he just got me right under the eye. they're still cats. I've often actually wondered if nfcs weren't just a little closer to wild cats than other domestic cats. lol. my new nfc (his name is d'argo today) DEFINITELY takes serious offense to being looked at in the eyes too. my game is to try and get him to wink at me while I'm looking at him for a second then look away then close my eyes at him. look at him thru partially opened eyes shut em again do some various stages of winking and I won't leave until he winks back. lol. but if I stare at him he gets wild catty.