This Female Stray Might Be Feline Jesus...

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(Sorry for the length of this)

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my 4 indoor cats becoming quite excited at something in the back yard. I take a look, and find (yet another) stray/feral cat wandering in my yard. But unlike most neighborhood cats, she is coming right up to the door, and interacting with my crew. The nipped ear tells me she has been TNR'd (THANK YOU NEIGHBORS!)

So I put out some water, and leftover food for her. And low-and-behold, after about a week, she is letting me pet her a bit with an arm put outside the the door. But only at feeding times....other times, she will hiss at me and run away. So she isn't exactly sure of humans!

Here is the interesting part, she elicits some incredibly docile and confident behavior in all of my cats!! One of my crew (12-13yo male) normally *hates* other cats, especially outdoor cats. He barely tolerates his house mates!! He usually charges the door and hits it loudly when he sees a cat outside. But for her...he just sits, patiently...or paws at the glass door, or lays on his back in front of the door, or walks over to me and paws at me to get my attention.

And for my other 3 cats: Dory (momma of the other 2) is never interested in anything outside. She was born in my back yard, and is just happy to have a warm place to lay and regular feedings!. Violet is basically an indoor-feral: if I am awake and up, she wants nothing to do with me, and is nervous to be in the main room....but will beg for attention when I'm in bed. And Blue is hyper-active playful, almost never content, and drives all of us crazy.

But *everybody* will crowd the glass back door to watch the newcomer, to say "hello", to vie for her attention, and sit there for 30+ minutes if she is present. And there is no hissing, no growling, no agitation....nothing...... 4 cats within 5ft of each other with no drama has happened before, but is soo rare!

I'm really conflicted about her now. Her interactions with me tell me she isn't ready to be a pet, or to be adopted. But her interactions with my crew say she brings out the best in other cats - she is exactly the "den mother" you'd want in an open shelter or foster home. I'm really tempted to try to bring her inside, if only to see if she can get Violet to convert from "indoor-feral" to "skittish but loving". But I just *cannot* do 5 cats.

What do you think? Should I bother reaching out to various foster/animal rescue groups in Phoenix, to see if there can be some interest in her?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:loveeyes: She sounds like an incredible personality, cat or otherwise - a real gift from Heaven :heartshape: If she cannot be brought inside or live in safety in your yard, then yes, I would reach out to rescue groups and try to get her rehomed. She seems to have so much to give and, odd as it seems, sometimes adding that one certain cat creates balance and harmony in a group just like adding ballast steadies a boat.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definey reach out to find her help. You are in a very “cat friendly” place and she may even be more a dumped stray than a feral. She is at your door for a reason. I have definitely had times where other cats were the reason I was able to socialize another. They are often just the bridge we need. If having her there serves to help you and her, nothing could be better. I understand drawing the line at the number of cats. I have found here though that sometimes an extra can actually change the balance for the better. If expense is not the issue then I can say that one more does not really put much extra work into things. I’m some ways, it may even lessen the work of keeping the household peaceful between kitties. Please do help her and allow her to help you. Your kitties are reaching out to her so.... hoping you can too.
BTW No worries about the length of the post, you haven’t seen some of mine!:blush::lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FYI, I'm still working on capturing a video of this girl, and my cats, to explain what exactly I'm on about.

In the mean time, I have named her Kitty Theresa.

Jcatbird Jcatbird - expense isn't so much an issue, it's just time and energy. A few years ago, I had *one* cat. I was very, very happy with my *one* cat. Then Dory and her two kittens appeared at my back door, looking soooo thin, mangy, and sad.......and now I have 4 cats. The main problem is the 2 or 3 times each year that I have to travel for work. To get my crew to the vet for boarding is traumatic....and Shrinking Violet (my least-socialized, "indoor-feral" girl) is basically unmanageable at my vet. Last time I went to pick her up, the poor technician came out and said "damn she's fast!!" She was in a corner of the food storage area, and it took all my "Jackson Galaxy"-esq talent to coax her into walking into a towel-covered carrier.

I have another trip coming up in about a month, and Violet won't be boarded again - I will have my brother come by to feed and clean litter boxes.