Third hand smoking and my cat

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to mention if it hasn't been upthread already, there are a lot of fumes associated with cleaning solutions, carpet glue etc, and carpet and new furniture fire resistant chemicals, paint et al.
Yes, I understand that.
I chose my recommendations pretty carefully, with that in mind.

Pine Sol contains surfactants (soap), petroleum solvent, alcohol and pine oil.

Dr. Bronner's contains soap and pine oil.
I prefer Dr. Bronner's because it's more versatile. You can use it for many different things. Pine Sol is a mono-tasker.
But, when it comes down to it, Dr. Bronner's wins, in my book, because it's a more natural product and it does the jobs I need it to do.

The Kilz stain blocker is basically an oil based paint with a lot of extra titanium dioxide (pigment) mixed in.
As with any oil based paint, you should use it with adequate ventilation. However, the company that makes Kilz also produces a low-odor version. It's good but the original formula works better in difficult situations. If you are talking about an indoor area where there was only one or two smokers, the low-odor version will probably work. In my old house, we had to use the regular version because of the amount of smoke. You could literally scrape it off the walls with your fingernails!
We needed a heavy, stain-blocking primer to cover all that smoke residue!

New furniture, carpet and drapes are going to have some odor when they are new. There's nothing we can do about that. It's the demands of manufacturing. There are dyes and sizings that are needed to make carpets and upholstery. Without them we won't have the kinds of furniture, carpets and draperies that we want to have.

However, you could buy second-hand furniture if that is an issue for you. You can also get carpet remnants that would have less chance of odors.

Since you would be doing a clean-out, you're probably going to have windows and doors open for ventilation.
If you are going to be cleaning, you'll be kicking up a lot of dust. If you're cleaning, even with Dr. Bronner's, you're going to want to get some fresh air inside. If you're painting, you open the windows, too. That's just the way things are done.

With normal, everyday, care and common sense, you really shouldn't have any problems with odors in the house that will affect you or your cat. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most of the components of cigarette smoke are water soluble. You should only need good old fashioned hot water, soap and a scrub brush to remove cigarette smoke residue from hard, washable surfaces.

Pine Sol or whatever your favorite cleaner should do the job well.
I use Dr. Bronner's "Sal Suds" for general household cleaning.
You don't need anything fancy.

[/URL]

If you've got a lot of smoke on the painted walls it will probably be difficult or impossible to wash them. You'll probably need to repaint them. Repainting over smoke residue can be difficult to do in one coat. You'll probably have to use two coats. It would be best if you used a coat of primer or stain killer such as "Kilz".

[/URL]

You'll probably need to shampoo the carpets. If the smoke is heavy you'll probably need to do it twice.
If you don't want to have it done professionally, rent a carpet machine from Home Depot, etc.
Whatever the shampoo solution(s) they recommend to use with the machines will do the job.

Upholstery is more difficult. Shampooing with a machine might or might not do the trick.
Drapery and bedding is even more difficult. Consider replacing. The trouble and expense of cleaning might be worth more than the cost of new drapes.

Since you are doing a "total clean out," you are coming into the range of redecorating, cost and labor wise. It might be worth considering to just do a basic once-over cleaning then just redecorating with new drapes, carpets and a fresh coat of paint. It'll be the same amount of work and you'll probably get better results.

I used to live in a place where my house was attached to a saloon. The walls and everything were covered in a thick layer of cigarette smoke residue. When we were kids, we used to do a spring cleaning of the entire house to remove the brownish patina that was all over everything. This is how we used to clean house.

As long as you do a reasonably good cleaning, you shouldn't have to worry about your cat living around cigarette smoke residue. It is pretty gross but, with normal cleaning techniques, you can clean it up. It just takes a lot of work.

Like I say... If you clean the house really well, you shouldn't have to worry about your cat getting sick.
Hey thanks for the reply. I posted a reply to someone else what I will do which mentions what you have said

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to mention if it hasn't been upthread already, there are a lot of fumes associated with cleaning solutions, carpet glue etc, and carpet and new furniture fire resistant chemicals, paint et al.
WHile they paint I will have my air purifier running aswell

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just read that Pine Sol was reformulated and doesn't contain pine oil (which is toxic) as an ingredient.

Good on you regarding the air cleaner :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The petroleum solvents in Pine Sol are much more toxic than any pine oil.
If you read the label of the Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds, it explains everything.

When it comes to air purifiers, don't bother.
Most of the things that come from the cleaning products that are likely to be used on this project are vapors and gasses.
Air filters DO NOT work on gasses and vapors.

When I worked in the chemical plant, we had to wear specialized SCBA (Self-contained Breathing Apparatus) to protect against things like cyanide gas. Cyanide gas will go right through a filter as if there wasn't anything there at all.

You don't need SCBA to clean and paint your house. You don't need air purifiers. Just open the doors and windows to get plenty of fresh air. If you have asthma or other problems, wear a dust mask and be sure to get plenty of fresh air.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was a fairly heavy smoker for years, and my girl lived through her first eight years with me smoking. She is now 12 years old, and her vet is VERY happy with her heart, lungs and all blood work. Now, I don't know what may happen in the future, but if she remains in good health for the next...OH MY! Just 2 months now, and it will be FIVE years, little while, then the chances of any problems being smoke-related are pretty much nothing.

I do have to tell you, she is much happier with me not smoking (well...2-3 cigs a WEEK, and always outside in the open with good ventillation...we progress). EVERY time I lit up, she headed for another room. Wise cat, although I know that didn't help much. I should have listened to her a LONG time ago!

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I understand that.
I chose my recommendations pretty carefully, with that in mind.

Pine Sol contains surfactants (soap), petroleum solvent, alcohol and pine oil.

Dr. Bronner's contains soap and pine oil.
I prefer Dr. Bronner's because it's more versatile. You can use it for many different things. Pine Sol is a mono-tasker.
But, when it comes down to it, Dr. Bronner's wins, in my book, because it's a more natural product and it does the jobs I need it to do.

The Kilz stain blocker is basically an oil based paint with a lot of extra titanium dioxide (pigment) mixed in.
As with any oil based paint, you should use it with adequate ventilation. However, the company that makes Kilz also produces a low-odor version. It's good but the original formula works better in difficult situations. If you are talking about an indoor area where there was only one or two smokers, the low-odor version will probably work. In my old house, we had to use the regular version because of the amount of smoke. You could literally scrape it off the walls with your fingernails!
We needed a heavy, stain-blocking primer to cover all that smoke residue!

New furniture, carpet and drapes are going to have some odor when they are new. There's nothing we can do about that. It's the demands of manufacturing. There are dyes and sizings that are needed to make carpets and upholstery. Without them we won't have the kinds of furniture, carpets and draperies that we want to have.

However, you could buy second-hand furniture if that is an issue for you. You can also get carpet remnants that would have less chance of odors.

Since you would be doing a clean-out, you're probably going to have windows and doors open for ventilation.
If you are going to be cleaning, you'll be kicking up a lot of dust. If you're cleaning, even with Dr. Bronner's, you're going to want to get some fresh air inside. If you're painting, you open the windows, too. That's just the way things are done.

With normal, everyday, care and common sense, you really shouldn't have any problems with odors in the house that will affect you or your cat. :)
During all of this process I should mention Il be bringing my cat to my parents in my old room. So he wont be exposed to it while its wet. Im sure the apartment will smell for a bit tho

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During all of this process I should mention Il be bringing my cat to my parents in my old room. So he wont be exposed to it while its wet. Im sure the apartment will smell for a bit tho
That's smart, simply on the grounds of keeping the cat from getting under foot.

You wouldn't want the cat to scamper out the door when you are moving things in or out.

I don't even want to think about what would happen if the cat knocked over a bucket of paint or something like that!
(Even if it would be "YouTube Gold" if something like that happened! :lol::eek::doh:)

Best to keep the cat out of harm's way. :petcat:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Most people say to me its just a cat. It bothers me to so much when they say that. He is my love and best friend and I would do anything for him. I hope you guys still consider me as a good cat parent even though im not moving.
I've heard the same quote from outsiders too, i.e. it's just a cat, but I either ignore their ignorance or explain that until you've shared your life with a feline friend you can't possibly understand/appreciate their personality or unconditional love. :hearthrob:

I'm sorry if I made you regret not moving back to Brooklyn as that was not my intention. But I'm glad you live only two minutes from the Bridge and can enjoy the sights anytime. It's the best of both! :thumbsup:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what if people think it's "just a cat?"

It's YOUR cat.

The last time I checked, we still lived in a free country. It's YOUR right to treat YOUR cat whatever way you want.
(As long as you don't abuse animals... it goes without saying.)

I hate when people say things like "It's just a cat" because, to me, it sounds like code for "You have to do what other people think you should."

If you love your cat like a member of your family, that's good enough for me!

Nobody should have to justify the fact that they love their pets to anybody!

:soapbox:

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So what if people think it's "just a cat?"

It's YOUR cat.

The last time I checked, we still lived in a free country. It's YOUR right to treat YOUR cat whatever way you want.
(As long as you don't abuse animals... it goes without saying.)

I hate when people say things like "It's just a cat" because, to me, it sounds like code for "You have to do what other people think you should."

If you love your cat like a member of your family, that's good enough for me!

Nobody should have to justify the fact that they love their pets to anybody!

:soapbox:
Ohh absolutely. I'm not saying I value they're opinion. In matter of fact I yell at them. I cant stand it when they tell me that. They just don't understand because they don't have animals.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want a nice indoor plant that looks nice, is safe for cats and is hard to kill, try a "Ponytail Palm."

We have one and it works out well.

It's very slow growing. We've had it for three years but it's still only about two feet tall. It's still in the same pot we put it in when we got it.

You "never" have to water it.
It's a semi-arid species so it actually doesn't like to be watered too much. It's best if you let the soil dry out before watering it.

It likes to be in moderate to bright sun. Just put it in a sunny window.
We put ours on the patio in the summer then bring it inside in the fall.

It's got long, leathery leaves that will stand up to a cat.
Casper likes to chew on the leaves. In all this time he hasn't hurt it, one bit.
In fact, we joke around and say that Casper is flossing his teeth with the plant. ;)

We bought ours at Home Depot. The tag on the plant said, "Plants of Steel."
It certainly has lived up to its billing. ;)

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want a nice indoor plant that looks nice, is safe for cats and is hard to kill, try a "Ponytail Palm."

[/URL]

[/URL]

We have one and it works out well.

It's very slow growing. We've had it for three years but it's still only about two feet tall. It's still in the same pot we put it in when we got it.

You "never" have to water it.
It's a semi-arid species so it actually doesn't like to be watered too much. It's best if you let the soil dry out before watering it.

It likes to be in moderate to bright sun. Just put it in a sunny window.
We put ours on the patio in the summer then bring it inside in the fall.

It's got long, leathery leaves that will stand up to a cat.
Casper likes to chew on the leaves. In all this time he hasn't hurt it, one bit.
In fact, we joke around and say that Casper is flossing his teeth with the plant. ;)

We bought ours at Home Depot. The tag on the plant said, "Plants of Steel."
It certainly has lived up to its billing. ;)
Awesine thanks for the info. I am actually going to home depot to get it myself

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update for you guys. I cleaned all my walls with vinegar. I will clean the ceiling tomorrow. Threw away all my furniture. Going to buy all new furniture tomorrow. All rugs are gone lol
Painter is coming Monday. If anyone is interested in painting one day I found the perfect paint. Its Benjamin Moore Natura paint line. It has 0 VOCS which is awesome.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey I knows it's an old Post now but I want to say I'm finally done. Painted and got all new furniture. With my luck tho I got a new air purifier and the filter was broken and spilled Potassium Permanganate pellets all over my floor. Read it's toxic to cats like rock salt would. If he ingests it it could burn his throat. Luckly he wasn't there and I cleaned it as much as I can. With water it turned pink and becomes soluble. Almost ruined my new furniture! I'm just worried there's one lying around somewhere that he may ingestss. I swear my OCD never rests and im learning everyday I can't shield my cat from everything. I did everything I could.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweep up as much of the potassium permanganate while it is dry, using a dust pan and broom or similar.
Do your best not to kick up too much dust which will cause the fine powder to spread and make the mess worse.
Scoop it into a plastic bag, tie it up then put the bag into another sturdy container and seal it with a tight lid until you can dispose of it.

Clean up the remainder of the potassium permanganate with lots and lots of water then finish with hydrogen peroxide.

Peroxide will react with the permanganate and make the purple color disappear.

Potassium permanganate is not poisonous in small amounts. It is often used to disinfect drinking water. You might find packets of potassium permangante in emergency water purification kits used for camping or survival. If you dilute the permanganate enough it won't be harmful. This is why I said to use lots of water to clean it up.

Unfortunately, if you spill the stuff it's like opening Pandora's box! Even a small amount, when spilled, can make a big purple stain. Diluting with water only gets you so far. The purple stains can remain even after dilution.

Hydrogen peroxide chemically reacts with potassium permanganate. Technically, the peroxide will REDUCE the manganese ions from oxidation state VII to oxidation state II. When it is at oxidation state VII, permanganate looks purple but, at oxidation state II, it is colorless. This reaction happens faster when the solution has a lower, acidic, pH value. If you use a moderate amount of white vinegar it should create the acidic conditions necessary to make the reaction work.

The toxicity level of potassium permanganate is something along 1,000 mg. / 1 kg. of body weight.
That's moderately low. It works out to something on the order of 1/4 of a teaspoon full for every pound of weight.
If you have a ten pound cat it would take two teaspoons full of the stuff.

That, having been said, potassium permanganate IS A STRONG CHEMICAL!
It has similar properties to chlorine bleach. When you use it or, as in your case, when you have to clean it up, take the same precautions you would take if you were handling bleach.

• WEAR PROTECTIVE GLOVES!
• WEAR PROTECTIVE GOGGLES!
• WEAR A PROTECTIVE APRON!
• If you get the stuff on you, wash with LOTS of COOL WATER for at least ten minutes.
• If it gets on your clothes, IMMEDIATELY take them off and wash in LOTS of WATER then launder before wearing again.
• If the stuff causes a reaction on your skin (itching, burning, rash, etc.) go to a doctor IMMEDIATELY!
• If it gets into your eyes, nose, mouth or other sensitive areas of your body, IMMEDIATELY wash with with LOTS of COOL WATER for at least ten minutes then go to a doctor IMMEDIATELY!

The best way to dispose of potassium permanganate (at the household level) is to dilute with lots of water then put it down the drain to a municipal sewer system. (Not a septic tank.) Small amounts that you might encounter in a household situation can simply be flushed down the toilet. Potassium permanganate is used in municipal water and sewage treatment, anyhow. Technically, you'd be doing the city Sewer Department a favor. ;)

DO NOT allow potassium permanganate to mix with other chemicals, except water.
The things I mentioned above (peroxide and vinegar) are okay because they tend to deactivate potassium permanganate when used in small amounts, although you should be aware that even this reaction might cause the release of heat and oxygen gas. However, when we're dealing with small amounts of these substances, diluted with a large amount of water, you should not have to worry. Especially, do not allow potassium permanganate to mix with things like antifreze (glycol/glycerine) solutions or any kind of petroleum product. There is a small chance that a problem could occur if this happens. Even though that chance is small the amount of damage that can occur could be large. Extra precaution is warranted. Better safe than sorry. Right? ;)

Botton line:
Wear personal protection.
Clean up with lots of water.
Remove any stains with hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar.
Dispose small amounts down the sewer (not the septic tank) using lots of water to dilute.
Clean yourself and your clothes with lots of water and soap.
If you have any symptoms, go to a doctor.

FYI: I am an industrial chemical technician and I use potassium permangante as part of my job on a regular basis.
This is a summary of the things I do when I have to work with potassium permanganate.

Last edited: