Third hand smoking and my cat

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually just threw away my rugs and cleaned my hardwood floors today. I'l keep doing it everyday. As far as the walls i'm not going to paint it or wash it as its not a easy thing to do as I would have to move everything around. I'm moving out to my families basement while i rent out my place. Its a smoke free place. If you think i should go ahead and clean it then I would but its only for 2 month here. My apartment is not as bad as other who smoked for 30 years. Ive been a smoker for only 3 years and I quit 3 months before I got my cat. Either way i heard those particles from third handing smoking lasts a very long time like years. I'm also leaving the my place furnished for the renter so I wont be bringing back any smoked infested furniture. The only thing Il be bringing is my computer chair and my clothes.

As far as daily life goes I have friends who smoke. They wont smoke in my new apartment but they would come in smelling like smoke. I really dont know what to do. I cant shield away from people to much.
You have to do whats best for you and your kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe that I am. But i cant afford to paint if im just going to be here another month or two.
Im doing alot for him. My paranoia is making move then hell out lol

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OP, you say that you have OCD and I suspect your overfear is about that. It's great that you love your kitty and want the best for him but for example in this case, everything you listed cost a serious amount of money. Unless you are very comfortable financially, wouldn't it be better to instead save up that money for possible vet visits in the future?

And as for washing the cat, if the cat doesn't like water and most cats don't, he is more likely to get stressed than any risk about the months-old remainings of your smoking.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OP, you say that you have OCD and I suspect your overfear is about that. It's great that you love your kitty and want the best for him but for example in this case, everything you listed cost a serious amount of money. Unless you are very comfortable financially, wouldn't it be better to instead save up that money for possible vet visits in the future?

And as for washing the cat, if the cat doesn't like water and most cats don't, he is more likely to get stressed than any risk about the months-old remainings of your smoking.
Well as far as the moving goes I did plan to move to Brooklyn from Staten island. This just gave me the push. Id actually be making more money since I'll be renting my own place to someone to cover the mortgage and maintenance fees.I'd be paying my rent to my parents. I rather not live with my parents but for a year or 2 its fine while i save for a more expensive place as Brooklyn place are more expensive. Yes I over fear about a lot of things. I bring my cat to vet a lot during the year. This just hit me hard. Since I was oblivious all year. I just imagine in my head all the chemicals he must rolled around on that old carpet. It is what it is. As far as the washing I know. I never wash my cat. Its not something I plan to do all the time. Just this time and I bought cat specific soap.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well as far as the moving goes I did plan to move to Brooklyn from Staten island. This just gave me the push. Id actually be making more money since I'll be renting my own place to someone to cover the mortgage and maintenance fees.I'd be paying my rent to my parents. I rather not live with my parents but for a year or 2 its fine while i save for a more expensive place as Brooklyn place are more expensive. Yes I over fear about a lot of things. I bring my cat to vet a lot during the year. This just hit me hard. Since I was oblivious all year. I just imagine in my head all the chemicals he must rolled around on that old carpet. It is what it is. As far as the washing I know. I never wash my cat. Its not something I plan to do all the time. Just this time and I bought cat specific soap.
I have anxiety disorder that gets triggered the most over health fear about loved ones, so I relate to overfear. When I panic over something I remind myself there are lots of street cats who live under more challenging conditions and they survive. That calms me down a bit.

Good luck with the move 🍀

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyone who used to smoke but there cat lived for 10 plus years? I'm just soo paranoid and heart broken about this.
I smoked for pretty much all of Cable's life, and she lived to age 15. Pixel also lived to age 15 - smoked pretty much her whole life, as well. Oh, Medley - I stopped smoking near the end of her life, but she was also 15. All 3 died from non-smoke related health issues.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I smoked for pretty much all of Cable's life, and she lived to age 15. Pixel also lived to age 15 - smoked pretty much her whole life, as well. Oh, Medley - I stopped smoking near the end of her life, but she was also 15. All 3 died from non-smoke related health issues.
thanks this makes me feel better. Although my cat does have a bit of asthma. Since the first day I got him. So I fear the chemicals might affect him more due to the weakened immune system. Who knows tho. I do feed him a high quality diet from ziwi peak to improve. I also tried Goats milk but he wont drink. He never makes it easy!! I tried feeding him a freeze dried diet as well but he wont budge. Thanks again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We both used to smoke, in my current house. Poppycat is doing fabulously at nearly 15 years old.

You might try and keep in mind, if this hasn't been mentioned already, that cats are sponges for our emotions. The calmer you are, the better it will be for your furbaby :).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well as far as the moving goes I did plan to move to Brooklyn from Staten island. This just gave me the push.
A little bit off subject but I second your plan to move from Staten Island to Brooklyn. 👍 Brooklyn is not only a vibrant borough but has so many wonderful shops, cafes and restaurants. Back on topic, I think your heart is in the right place and, therefore, you will go the extra mile to do what is best for your cat. Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress and possible move.🤗

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ve done a great job purifying your environment. You’re a great kitty guardian! We all learn more each day but we are not born with that knowledge. You are taking what you have learned and are acting upon it. You are also bringing an important point to the attention of others so you are also helping other kitties. Bravo to all you have accomplished. Your kitty is in competent hands. Enjoy your life together. :goldstar:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the components of cigarette smoke are water soluble. You should only need good old fashioned hot water, soap and a scrub brush to remove cigarette smoke residue from hard, washable surfaces.

Pine Sol or whatever your favorite cleaner should do the job well.
I use Dr. Bronner's "Sal Suds" for general household cleaning.
You don't need anything fancy.

If you've got a lot of smoke on the painted walls it will probably be difficult or impossible to wash them. You'll probably need to repaint them. Repainting over smoke residue can be difficult to do in one coat. You'll probably have to use two coats. It would be best if you used a coat of primer or stain killer such as "Kilz".

You'll probably need to shampoo the carpets. If the smoke is heavy you'll probably need to do it twice.
If you don't want to have it done professionally, rent a carpet machine from Home Depot, etc.
Whatever the shampoo solution(s) they recommend to use with the machines will do the job.

Upholstery is more difficult. Shampooing with a machine might or might not do the trick.
Drapery and bedding is even more difficult. Consider replacing. The trouble and expense of cleaning might be worth more than the cost of new drapes.

Since you are doing a "total clean out," you are coming into the range of redecorating, cost and labor wise. It might be worth considering to just do a basic once-over cleaning then just redecorating with new drapes, carpets and a fresh coat of paint. It'll be the same amount of work and you'll probably get better results.

I used to live in a place where my house was attached to a saloon. The walls and everything were covered in a thick layer of cigarette smoke residue. When we were kids, we used to do a spring cleaning of the entire house to remove the brownish patina that was all over everything. This is how we used to clean house.

As long as you do a reasonably good cleaning, you shouldn't have to worry about your cat living around cigarette smoke residue. It is pretty gross but, with normal cleaning techniques, you can clean it up. It just takes a lot of work.

Like I say... If you clean the house really well, you shouldn't have to worry about your cat getting sick.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little bit off subject but I second your plan to move from Staten Island to Brooklyn. 👍 Brooklyn is not only a vibrant borough but has so many wonderful shops, cafes and restaurants. Back on topic, I think your heart is in the right place and, therefore, you will go the extra mile to do what is best for your cat. Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress and possible move.🤗
Ahhhhh now i feel bad lol. I actually decided to stay in Staten Island. I was speaking to my mother and father and I don't think its possible. Il be moving into a basement and there are other health factors associated with that as well. Bugs mold etc... Plus the disadvantage is sleeping under my parents. I dont want that lol.

That doesn't mean I wont be taking extra precautions in my current apartment. Im going to do a overhaul. I will be buying a new sofa, furniture, carpet and painting. Were going to use a sealant to cover the walls before we paint. Im going to be spending alot of monety. Hopefully that diminishes the third hand smoke. I did quite a bit of research. I'm realizing everyday that we cant shield ourselves from everything in this world. I have a neighbor who smokes but I cant do anything about that. Perhaps I move to a different condo. Who is to say the person before me didn't smoke for 30 years in his apartment. I only smoked for 3. Yes I grew up in brooklyn so I'am aware of the advantages but luckily I'am two minutes away from the bridge. The only furniture im not changing is my wood dining room table. I will wash it. Its not cloth so it will be easier to clean. I feel like im doing more than the average person to protect my cat. For that I am proud. Most people say to me its just a cat. It bothers me to so much when they say that. He is my love and best friend and I would do anything for him. I hope you guys still consider me as a good cat parent even though im not moving.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to mention if it hasn't been upthread already, there are a lot of fumes associated with cleaning solutions, carpet glue etc, and carpet and new furniture fire resistant chemicals, paint et al.
absolutely but ever since i have gotten him I've been using natural cleaners. Since he has a bit of allergies and asthma. before I paint I will be using vinegar to clean the walls