Third hand smoking and my cat

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today i realized the danger of third hand smoking. I quit smoking about 2 years ago. I got my cat about 3 month after I quit. Today I feel sick thinking about the chemical residues that has stayed on my carpet and my cat rolls around in them. I'm afraid of damage I caused to my loved one. I'm in the process of selling my condo to a smoke free one because of this. Already listed it since yesterday with my real estate agent. I know no one can tell me what will happen in the future. Is there anyone who used to smoke but there cat lived for 10 plus years? I'm just soo paranoid and heart broken about this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You mean chemical residue in the carpet from smoking? I am not sure how intense that really is at this point. If you really think it is an issue, you could have had your carpeting cleaned instead of moving. I previously smoked around a cat that lived over 15 years, and another that lived over 12 years. And, my current cat, who is 15+yo lived with that same carpeting for nearly 10 years before I replaced it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My mother, who was a huge smoker, always owned poodles, miniature size which means smaller than a cocker spaniel for example. The first lived to 15 and the second lived to 19, in fact outliving my mother....and we are talking about definite first hand smoke.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smoker rate in Turkey is unfortunately too high and it's not a taboo to smoke inside the house. I know many cats who get exposed to smoking daily, including my brother's and cousins' and at least one neighbor I know of.

Not to say it is good but I think that you exaggrate the likelihood of risks you read about. :)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to say it is good but I think that you exaggrate the likelihood of risks you read about. :)
My cat Lola had a carcinoma inside one of her nostrils, she was treated with the radiation therapy at a facility where, in the waiting room, there was a poster like this

Il fumo uccide anche loro.JPG

A series of pet noses and the writing "Smoke kills them too"

This is part of a larger poster

Il-fumo-uccide-anche-loro-600.jpg

In the left column:
What about the cat?
In cats, beside chronical and neoplastic respiratory issues, an increased frequency of oral cancers has been proved, probably due to the continuous grooming that puts the oral mucous in contact with residual chemicals on the cat's coat.
A correlation between second hand smoke and the onset of lymphoma has been detected.

In the central column:
Which advice for smokers who have pets?
The same advice that is usually given to parents with kids, do not smoke in presence of the pet, empty the ashtray as soon as possible, wash your hands before touching your pet, smoke outside... But, above all, you should think that if the second hand smoke can produce such severe damages within the short life of a pet, what damages can it give us as active smokers over a longer span of time?
The best advice is stop smoking

Nobody ever smoke in our home or in presence of my cats, yet the issue arose. I think that we must be very careful. Not only with cigarette smoke, but with all chemicals around.

OT: Upon accepting Lola at the facillity I was asked if in the household we would have accessible chemicals, if we were close to heavy industrial plants, if we would use candles or incense sticks, if we were close to radio masts, an so on.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Lola had a carcinoma inside one of her nostrils, she was treated with the radiation therapy at a facility where, in the waiting room, there was a poster like this

View attachment 323140
A series of pet noses and the writing "Smoke kills them too"

This is part of a larger poster

View attachment 323142
In the left column:
What about the cat?
In cats, beside chronical and neoplastic respiratory issues, an increased frequency of oral cancers has been proved, probably due to the continuous grooming that puts the oral mucous in contact with residual chemicals on the cat's coat.
A correlation between second hand smoke and the onset of lymphoma has been detected.

In the central column:
Which advice for smokers who have pets?
The same advice that is usually given to parents with kids, do not smoke in presence of the pet, empty the ashtray as soon as possible, wash your hands before touching your pet, smoke outside... But, above all, you should think that if the second hand smoke can produce such severe damages within the short life of a pet, what damages can it give us as active smokers over a longer span of time?
The best advice is stop smoking

Nobody ever smoke in our home or in presence of my cats, yet the issue arose. I think that we must be very careful. Not only with cigarette smoke, but with all chemicals around.

OT: Upon accepting Lola at the facillity I was asked if in the household we would have accessible chemicals, if we were close to heavy industrial plants, if we would use candles or incense sticks, if we were close to radio masts, an so on.
Of course. And I wouldn’t recommend smoking near a cat. But the OP is worried about minimum 3 months old remainings on the carpet and from his tone he thinks the risk is high through the carpet. It’s not.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad was a huge smoker inside the house and after he died and my mom was redecorating the house, the smoke even stuck really bad on the walls and it was expensive to repaint because of the residue it left on the walls.

It's great to hear you care about your cat and want to ensure their safety. you're cat is lucky you care so much! Just know that it can stick to a lot of other things in the house besides carpet, too. Congrats on quitting!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course. And I wouldn’t recommend smoking near a cat. But the OP is worried about minimum 3 months old remainings on the carpet and from his tone he thinks the risk is high through the carpet. It’s not.
I guess that some chemicals can stick to certain surfaces for long times. Carpets can be one of them. Anyway a good cleaner should be able to remove most of the dangerous remainings.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it helps a little, the owner of our last house lived there a long time and was a chain smoker. The walls near the ceiling had a border of discoloration from the smoke or so I was told. I've never smoked but we did repaint everything partly due to the discoloration and partly because we wanted to change the color. If you like your condo but are worried about the carpet it might be easier to replace it with hardwood flooring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad was a huge smoker inside the house and after he died and my mom was redecorating the house, the smoke even stuck really bad on the walls and it was expensive to repaint because of the residue it left on the walls.

It's great to hear you care about your cat and want to ensure their safety. you're cat is lucky you care so much! Just know that it can stick to a lot of other things in the house besides carpet, too. Congrats on quitting!
Yeah I know. The first thing i can do tho is remove the carpets where he lays on all the time. Especially the kitchen by the window. the carpet is disgusting. I ordered a new one. Thankfully there not permanent and I have hardwood floors. What a stupid habit smoking is. As far as the walls go I don't know. I had a plan to move to brooklyn from staten island. More of a reason to do so! have OCD and google everything. By now I could be a vet how much I read about my baby. I just hope this one year didn't damage him for the future.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to add after i remove the carpets I plan to wash him with dawn. I never do and for peace of mind I will. Who knows what chemical lurk around but at least im doing everything that I can for him.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have an air purifier? That would help with any air particles that may be lingering and future items too.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have an air purifier? That would help with any air particles that may be lingering and future items too.
Yup I have a really good one. Alen Breathsmart. I got it when my vet said he may have asthma. Its my fear actually that he got asthma because of third hand smoking. Although he had it the first day I got him. I brought him to the vet the day after. So i dont think its my apartments fault.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to add after i remove the carpets I plan to wash him with dawn. I never do and for peace of mind I will. Who knows what chemical lurk around but at least im doing everything that I can for him.
I wouldnt wash with dawn... buy a soap designed for animals if you really want to. I doubt by washing it is going to do much. Cats groom themselves and don't think of smoke like dirt on skin..... its great you are quitting and want better for your pet; but don't do the Dawn...

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on quitting smoking, that is no easy feat. My Dad died of lung cancer so I know it's a hard addiction to quit. I think as others have suggested you can have the carpets professionally cleaned, and if possible rip them up and go with hardwood or some other surface. I would scrub the walls down, the drapes, the blinds and get a really good sealing paint. Kilz makes an excellent one. My fiance rented his house out and the guy smoked and when we went to sell the place we had to get rid of the smell. A friend suggested Kilz and it really worked, it sealed it all right up.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt wash with dawn... buy a soap designed for animals if you really want to. I doubt by washing it is going to do much. Cats groom themselves and don't think of smoke like dirt on skin..... its great you are quitting and want better for your pet; but don't do the Dawn...
We wash our cats sometimes after they come back from the vet to stop the smell aggression, and we just use water in the tub. I think it's fine though here to just wipe them down with a towel. Our cats don't like it but they tolerate baths, because my fiance started bathing them when they were kittens, they are used to it.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
So today i realized the danger of third hand smoking. I quit smoking about 2 years ago. I got my cat about 3 month after I quit. Today I feel sick thinking about the chemical residues that has stayed on my carpet and my cat rolls around in them. I'm afraid of damage I caused to my loved one. I'm in the process of selling my condo to a smoke free one because of this. Already listed it since yesterday with my real estate agent. I know no one can tell me what will happen in the future. Is there anyone who used to smoke but there cat lived for 10 plus years? I'm just soo paranoid and heart broken about this.
I used to smoke yrs ago ..and I had my boy Snowball then...Ive since quit some yrs ago...And my boy is 11yrs ...be 12 in July....But if I knew then about how it affects kitties...I WOULD HAVE quit the day I got him as a kitten

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to smoke yrs ago ..and I had my boy Snowball then...Ive since quit some yrs ago...And my boy is 11yrs ...be 12 in July....But if I knew then about how it affects kitties...I WOULD HAVE quit the day I got him as a kitten
Yeah its terrible how when u smoke u dont realize how bad it is. Did you live in the same household after you quit with the cats?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah its terrible how when u smoke u dont realize how bad it is. Did you live in the same household after you quit with the cats?
Yes...But ive gotten new living room sofa n love seat since then n new curtains cause they all were cloth

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on quitting smoking, that is no easy feat. My Dad died of lung cancer so I know it's a hard addiction to quit. I think as others have suggested you can have the carpets professionally cleaned, and if possible rip them up and go with hardwood or some other surface. I would scrub the walls down, the drapes, the blinds and get a really good sealing paint. Kilz makes an excellent one. My fiance rented his house out and the guy smoked and when we went to sell the place we had to get rid of the smell. A friend suggested Kilz and it really worked, it sealed it all right up.
I actually just threw away my rugs and cleaned my hardwood floors today. I'l keep doing it everyday. As far as the walls i'm not going to paint it or wash it as its not a easy thing to do as I would have to move everything around. I'm moving out to my families basement while i rent out my place. Its a smoke free place. If you think i should go ahead and clean it then I would but its only for 2 month here. My apartment is not as bad as other who smoked for 30 years. Ive been a smoker for only 3 years and I quit 3 months before I got my cat. Either way i heard those particles from third handing smoking lasts a very long time like years. I'm also leaving the my place furnished for the renter so I wont be bringing back any smoked infested furniture. The only thing Il be bringing is my computer chair and my clothes.

As far as daily life goes I have friends who smoke. They wont smoke in my new apartment but they would come in smelling like smoke. I really dont know what to do. I cant shield away from people to much.