Third eyelid….

Kittenmom57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We official adopted two kittens after fostering them for a month. Toby is around 6 months (just got his big boy teeth) and Annie is around 4months.
Almost since we brought them home, Toby’s left eye had been showing a bit of the third eyelid. He didn’t seem bothered by it. That eye also has “sleepers” way more than the right eye.
Then last evening we noticed that Annie’s left eye was very watery! Her third eyelid is showing a bit, but it’s more watery/squinty. I don’t want to be that mom who rushes them to the vet at the first slight issue but neither do I want to mess around with their vision.
Is a trip to the vet in order??

We adopted them from the local humane society and both were in very good condition when we brought them home (aside from Toby’s eyelid being a little visible of course). Annie came to them with maggots and a warble (poor baby) but they treated those and by the time we got her she had only a shaved neck to show for it. Both were treated for roundworms at the humane society as well, and Toby had treatment for lungworm only because the litter mate he came in with had tested positive. He tested negative for that.

Any advice about the eyes/vet visit? We have not taken them to our vet yet as they were vaccinated and neutered/spayed by the humane society; but I did register them with our vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would probably be inclined to have a vet take a look, if for no other reason than both cats are having similar issues. That could suggest it is something that is contagious that has spread from Toby to Annie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittenmom57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we just got back from the vet. Toby’s eye is fine, not red at all. Vet said it could just be the way he was born, with that one third eyelid a little more prominent. Annie got drops for her eye, which was very red. I’m glad I took them! Other than Annie’s eye, he said they both look good. He aged Toby at at least six months, maybe seven, given he has his adult teeth and is 7 pounds. Annie is five pounds and about 4.5 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittenmom57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and there’s no scratch on Annie’s eye, which is fantastic news!