Third eyelid showing, no scratch visible

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 year old (one of 5 shelter cats of various ages) has had his third eyelid showing across half of his left eye since Tuesday of this week. He had a vet appointment for it yesterday since it wasn't getting better. The vet said no scratch was visible. He noted that the eye was not dialting correctly was in constant contraction but did not see any injury. A scratch from another cat that healed is a definite possibility. He gave us some opthalmic ointment for twice a day use and said that if not better by Monday, to start some (very expensive!) drops to force the eye to dilate. The vet said the constant contraction of the eye might be painful. The cat is not acting any differently than usual, eats, drinks, plays, naps as normal. Climbs and jumps as typical for him.
The ointment doesn't seem to be making a difference and I was wondering if anyone had experienced this with their cat and if they found a treatment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did the vet say anything about Horner's Syndrome? An injury can be the cause of this, as well as a middle ear infection, actually. I am sure there are other causes as well. I only thought of this because of the small pupil, which is often a symptom along with the third eyelid showing. You might just ask to see what the vet says. Generally, if thought to be from an injury, the treatment your vet has recommended is pretty standard from what I know.

Hope other members with first hand knowledge will come along soon and offer their input!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, he looks exactly like Horner Syndrome pictures. Thank you!

cat mom 8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been setting traps at our local dump for 2 years, taking the cats to be spayed or neutered, which is paid for through
donations to the Humane Society. Two years ago, when I was picking up the traps, 2 kittens were laying on their side,
gasping for air. I scooped them up and took them to the vet, too. They were so sick, the vet only gave them a 50/50
chance of survival. I took them home with a bag full of medication, isolated them and they both pulled through. I had
a hard time thinking I should try to find homes for them, so they became mine. The male had a problem with his eye
becoming smaller and the 3rd eye lid not closing. When I took him to the vet, she found a huge polyp in his ear. I've
been putting medication into it twice a day and his eye has almost returned to normal and the 3rd eyelid had retracted.
I'm sure your vet checked the kitty's ears, but just in case....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been setting traps at our local dump for 2 years, taking the cats to be spayed or neutered, which is paid for through
donations to the Humane Society. Two years ago, when I was picking up the traps, 2 kittens were laying on their side,
gasping for air. I scooped them up and took them to the vet, too. They were so sick, the vet only gave them a 50/50
chance of survival. I took them home with a bag full of medication, isolated them and they both pulled through. I had
a hard time thinking I should try to find homes for them, so they became mine. The male had a problem with his eye
becoming smaller and the 3rd eye lid not closing. When I took him to the vet, she found a huge polyp in his ear. I've
been putting medication into it twice a day and his eye has almost returned to normal and the 3rd eyelid had retracted.
I'm sure your vet checked the kitty's ears, but just in case....
Thank you!