Third Eyelid concern

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 20 year old kitty that is allergic to everything according to her allergy test. Between Jan and May the allergy shots she’s on do not work well. I’m giving her nose drops per vet advice to help. This year is the first time her third eyelid refuses to retract in one eye. It’s kind of blood shot and the vet did not seem to concerned about it but it’s covering 1/2 of the eye and bothers me. Does anyone have any advice on trying to get it to retract? It bothers me probably more that it bothers her. I’ve been putting liquid tears in to keep it moist but it’s not retracting.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
third eyelid isnt usually an eye problem. Its most often a sign of some inflammation in the body. It may be worms, it may be something else.
So that is why your vet isnt much concerned; she isnt sick in the eye, she has some inflammation somewhere. Which we know, as she is an oldie with several problems typical for oldies...

You are of course wise to moisten up her eyes with suitable drops. If in doubt, better to do it than not to do it. Even if there is a risk she will get used to get moisture from outside and no longer produces her own...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the post. I have allergy problems as well and my eyes get swollen up too so I know this is part of allergies but it’s still hard to look at on a kitty!!