Thinking of going to wood pellet litter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With a multi-cat household, I'm getting sick of the expense and mess of bentonite clay litter. Clumping clay litter seems to be getting more expensive all the time -- and dustier, not to mention how heavy it is. Also, I have a compost pile, and the idea of composting that nitrogen rather than throwing it in the trash appeals to me.

I've watched a few youtube videos and checked out a few web pages. Any tips here on making the best sifter for wood pellets? Are there any commercially available sifters that work with wood pellets?

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also use pine pellets and love both the price and how well they work. Tractor supply sells them $5.99 for a 40 lb bag. Even cheaper if you buy 2 bags at a time. The only commercial made box (that I could find) that’s made for use with the pellets is the All Pine litter box All Pine Litter Box
Trying to use a sifting box made for regular litter does not work well. These are good quality.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~ I use pine wood pellets with clumping litter. Makes a big difference in odor. 👌
Same here. I find there is also less tracking of sand and the pellets really helps to absorb the odor rather than clay litter alone. The clumps will be bigger than usual because it also clumps up the used pellets.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used pine cobble for a while because my kitten was eating litter and I wouldn’t use it again unless I had to. The biggest thing is that the cat pee smell lingers a bit compared to clumping litter, because it’s hard to get every single wet piece of litter when it doesn’t clump together. You have to change out the whole box more often so we went through it quickly. It also gets EVERYWHERE since it’s so lightweight, but this was only an issue with the pine cobble not the pellets.