Thinking about getting one of these action toys.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was looking at these three actions toys trying to decide which one won't fall apart quickly. Most of the reviews on the three, site problems with reliability . Wondering if anyone on this forum has a preference with their personal experience.

Cats meow Toy. Cat's Meow Motorized Chaser Cat Toy - Chewy.com

Mystery Motion by Petslink Petlinks® Mystery Motion™ Concealed Electronic Motion Cat Toy | cat Electronic & Interactive | PetSmart

Smarty Cat Hot Pursuit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP7F8YC/?tag=thecatsite

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like these would be good for a kitten, but my adults cats would get bored pretty quickly.

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats meow was a big hit in our 3 cat family.
Our oldest cat , he was 18 or 19 at the time enjoyed it the most! He was the biggest hunter cat of the 3. It was hysterical to watch him get that mouse.
Our younger two still like it when I bring it out on occasion.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats meow was a big hit in our 3 cat family.
Our oldest cat , he was 18 or 19 at the time enjoyed it the most! He was the biggest hunter cat of the 3. It was hysterical to watch him get that mouse.
Our younger two still like it when I bring it out on occasion.
I think the bringing it out on occasion is a good trick. I find that if I rotate and hide toys for a while it makes them novel again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had the Petlinks Mystery Motion toy. Jamie was very adept at landing on the wand and holding it in place which burned out the battery almost immediately. An engineer neighbor of mine told me that if the animal does that the toy is not designed to stand up to that treatment. However, a friend has one for her adult male cat and it was just fine....but he played with it differently.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Motorized toys freak my cats out. They hiss at them or just run and hide.

I think the motor sounds like another cat hissing and scares them (they also hate my electric toothbrush). Also some of them click and clunk against the floor which further scares them.

The best toys are inexpensive or free. Even a pompom or a candy wrapper makes a fun toy.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if i bought one of these, my cats would pull the thing off, is there a way to keep them from doing so?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our cats LOVE the Petlinks one. I use it in rotation so they don't get bored of it but both of them go nuts for it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried all 3 and like the cats meow the most. It's not as loud. You do need c batteries for it but it lasts long and has replacement parts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried all 3 and like the cats meow the most. It's not as loud. You do need c batteries for it but it lasts long and has replacement parts
After much research I finally ordered the Cat's meow.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Motorized toys freak my cats out. They hiss at them or just run and hide.
Casper doesn't like motorized toys that make noise, either.
He just sits there and stares at it for a minute then runs away.

The best toys are inexpensive or free. Even a pompom or a candy wrapper makes a fun toy.
We've tried all sorts of cat toys for Casper to play with. He prefers the simple things.
Wand toys... Ho-hum!
Anything motorized... Runs away!
He likes a plain, old catnip mouse. Preferably a furry one with spots.
His favorite thing to play with is just a piece of yarn.

If you dangle a piece of yarn or string in front of him, he'll come to play with it. If you pull it along the floor, in between and around hiding places, he'll chase it and pounce on it. Casper's Girl-Human likes to crochet and he'll sit beside her with his eyes glued to the yarn dangling and wiggling in her hands. Occasionally, he'll pounce on it. Luckily, he hasn't created any huge tangles, so far! ;)

BTW: If you use yarn to play with your cat, be sure that you are always holding onto the other end or else the cat might swallow the yarn and choke. The spiky papillae on a cat's tongue point backward, toward the back of the cat's throat. A piece of yarn inside a cat's mouth will get pushed down the cat's throat by the papillae and it won't be able to spit the yarn out.
That happened to Casper once. He got hold of a piece of yarn while we weren't looking and it went down his throat. I saw what was happening and rushed over to get the yarn out. By the time I got there, I pulled more than a foot of yarn out of his throat!

After that, we bought a skein of yarn just for the cat and we braided it into a thick rope that's too big for a cat to accidentally swallow.

If you do use string or yarn to play with your cat just make sure you always keep one end of it in your hand so that the cat can't accidentally swallow any of it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper doesn't like motorized toys that make noise, either.
He just sits there and stares at it for a minute then runs away.

We've tried all sorts of cat toys for Casper to play with. He prefers the simple things.
Wand toys... Ho-hum!
Anything motorized... Runs away!
He likes a plain, old catnip mouse. Preferably a furry one with spots.
His favorite thing to play with is just a piece of yarn.

If you dangle a piece of yarn or string in front of him, he'll come to play with it. If you pull it along the floor, in between and around hiding places, he'll chase it and pounce on it. Casper's Girl-Human likes to crochet and he'll sit beside her with his eyes glued to the yarn dangling and wiggling in her hands. Occasionally, he'll pounce on it. Luckily, he hasn't created any huge tangles, so far! ;)

BTW: If you use yarn to play with your cat, be sure that you are always holding onto the other end or else the cat might swallow the yarn and choke. The spiky papillae on a cat's tongue point backward, toward the back of the cat's throat. A piece of yarn inside a cat's mouth will get pushed down the cat's throat by the papillae and it won't be able to spit the yarn out.
That happened to Casper once. He got hold of a piece of yarn while we weren't looking and it went down his throat. I saw what was happening and rushed over to get the yarn out. By the time I got there, I pulled more than a foot of yarn out of his throat!

After that, we bought a skein of yarn just for the cat and we braided it into a thick rope that's too big for a cat to accidentally swallow.

If you do use string or yarn to play with your cat just make sure you always keep one end of it in your hand so that the cat can't accidentally swallow any of it.
I'm all too aware of the danger of strings and tinsel. My old cat got hold of tinsel the first Christmas I got her and needed surgery to remove it and repair a portion of her gut. The sharp edge had damaged her intestine and she was throwing up blood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got the Cat's Meow today. Set it up, and my cat is going crazy over it. Took her about 5 minutes of staring at it, and now she is jumping around like a maniac chasing the tail.