Thinking about getting a friend for my female cat.

alphonse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a female cat. Alphonse is 1 year three months old. She comes from a house full with four other animals (Two dogs and two cats). I think she has been feeling a tad lonely and wants someone to play with (besides me). I want to get her a friend but don't know if I should get an adult or a kitten. I could use some advice.

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she's still young enough that a kitten would be fine. As long as you do the introductions properly it should be fine. I was always a one cat household and now I would never have less than two. They need a friend around to play with and keep each other company.

She's super cute btw.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Did you adopt Alphonse recently or were her other play mates from  when she was a kitten?  If she has been used to other animals as play mates I'd be pretty sure she'd love company as long as they are introduced carefully. If she's still playful then a kitten may well be fine, but I think the main thing is how they take to each other as the introduction goes on.

She is cute cute cute, and looks like she's got oodles of cattitude! Loving that nosy face with whiskers twice her size, and the fluffy tail all perked up. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alphonse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't adopt her she was my kitten who stayed with my friends family until I moved. I think she does need a play mate because she was raised in a house with two dogs and two cats (One being her brother). She is very playful and i think that since she is having behavioral problems this might help her. Defintely got the cattitude. 
 Shes a little monster sometimes but hopefully it helps if I am capable of convincing my mother to get a second cat. 

Thank you for the help! If I get a kitten I'm thinking about Adopting.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
............. Defintely got the cattitude. 
 Shes a little monster sometimes but hopefully it helps if I am capable of convincing my mother to get a second cat. 

Thank you for the help! If I get a kitten I'm thinking about Adopting.
Oooh, get purrsuading.  I had 2 cats before and they played endlessly with each other and most of their antics involved (play)killing each other. I now have 1 boy and he spent his first year destroying pretty much everything breakable in my flat and seeking me out as playmate. Now he doesn't break as much but I still have to be his playmate.  2 is definitely GOOD.  Mouse was an only kitten and only ever met his mum who was a lovely, gentle and quiet cat so I didn't think a little playmate would work for him. If he had had siblings I swear I'd never have made it home with just him in the carrier.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alphonse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is Alphonse with her Brother. They were from different litters born on the same day at a farm. They had a really good connection and were almost always together. I think when I Moved since her little brother was my friends cat she got separated. She seemed fine at first but a couple months ago she started acting up. So I think she just needs a companion.