Thinking About Fostering A Litter Of Kittens For The First Time

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My local animal shelter is PACKED full of kittens and is going to start euthanizing kittens if they are unable to find foster homes for the kittens... and I was thinking about fostering some of them.

I have never fostered kittens, and I have a new kitten who is 15 weeks old and been with me for 5 weeks.

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever fostered a litter before, and was wondering if you have any advice or if you think it might be too stressful on my Kaylee if I did.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you!! Do you have a spare room that you could keep the kittens in? If so, you wouldn’t really need to introduce them to your resident cat at all.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
As Talkingpeanut said, if there’s a special room you can keep the kittens in, Kaylee doesn’t need to meet them. Do you know how old the kittens will be? Thanks for caring!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kaylee is young enough to enjoy some rough housing playmates, it wouldn't take long for her to accept them! But research fostering, there is a quarantine period to avoid bringing diseases into your house, and make sure Kaylee is up to date on all her vaccinations. Distemper is unforgiving and relentless, but vaccinations would avoid it and teh heartbreak it brings. Also check closely for fleas and make sure everyone is dewormed when appropriate. Have a telephone number handy to call if you need help. But really, you have what it takes already, the desire to help, bless you for that!