Thinking about adopting a 4th..

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats, two are brothers and 2 years old, the other is a one year old girl. Jetty loves other kitties and loves to play with them. He seems to have endless kitten energy lol. His brother Fynn is the boss cat, he's a big boy (in frame/stature not weight) and takes the longest to get used to new fosters. He's quite dominant sometimes and no one really likes to play with him lol. Ceriah is great with boys and was fine with the temp foster. Only thing is though sometimes she likes to play with Jetty but she doesn't like it when he plays rough. She will hiss and growl and gets mad when Fynn stalks her to. She mainly likes to play by herself. I really adopted Ceriah to be a playmate for Jetty lol. So that kind of backfired as Ceriah isn't his ideal playmate. They all don't hate each other and actually do cuddle and groom each other so they still are on good terms. It's just the boys are too uh boyey lol. Fynn is pretty chill and doesn't play too much unless he sees Ceriah and Jetty going crazy or a wand toy. I just wondered if maybe a kitty that had the right personality would fit in and help burn off the energy of the boys which seems to cause the most tension between Ceriah and the boys. Or if adopting a 4th would be cray cray and could cause issues. I love cats and they get spoiled lol. I've only had one cat prior to these 3 (she hated all other cats lol) so learning the new dynamics between cats is pretty interesting. There's a kitten i've fallen in love with but I really worry if it would just make things worse.

20201023_150055.jpg
20201021_143007.jpg
20201014_142651.jpg
20201011_230306.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately, this is one of those things that you just don't know until you try it. You'll need to try to match personalities as well as you can, of course, but even doing that, sometimes you reach a "one cat too many" point, and everything falls apart. If YOU want another cat, it is certainly worth trying, given that you can, of course, afford the extra expenses that come along with that. Do remember that everyone is going to grow up and settle down with time. Your 2-year-olds have JUST reached full maturity, and Ceriah is only half-way there. Although they are pretty much "grown" at a year, they aren't mature until sometime in the second year.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not cray, cray. Lol If you can provide all that another kitty needs, it’s always a possibility. I have a multi cat household myself. Each one is a rescue and had to blend all cats with the others. I have a few with some Bengal genes and they can play too rough for the others which requires a “time out!” Each time I have added a kitten, things have gone well since the older cats tend to educate the younger ones about house rules. However, that does not mean that every cat will blend. You will be the one doing the introductions and they must be handled with diplomacy. Lol I actually find that any more than two, except for cost, doesn’t add that much more work in some ways because they entertain each other a lot. Litter boxes, different issue! Cost is a factor though and a kitten does need more attention. Four sounds easy to me but then, I have a Clowder so this is a very personal decision for anyone. Consider your expense, time, space and trying to blend personalities. If that kitten has already captured your heart, rescuers are always grateful to adopting homes but be very sure that you will not be returning the kitten. Be committed to your decision. You could try fostering kittens until you do find that perfect match. Can you foster the one you fell for? That’s a win, win situation since you are helping , no matter whether it works out in your home or not.
Your cats are beautiful and the photo is precious! Keep us posted!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My dominant is my little 7 pd cat peaches. Maggie is larger than my other 2, longer and taller. She loves to play but other 2 smaller cats do not like her chasing them around. Since your cats are not fully grown it is hard to tell. When I had my old cat Josie she was referee. She would stop a fight. Unlike when my cats were 2 they are more territorial,especially Maggie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah the kitten is only 5 weeks old so not sure of the personality yet since he's still growing into it. I'm not worried about money as I do have pet insurance and money in the bank. But my parents and brother as well as the cats have to be on board. Looking at their personality of my cats a laid back kitten who is respectful of boundaries and who loves to play with other cats but will back off if too rough sounds like it might fit. My boys just wanna play but for some reason won't play with each other. Fynn sometimes will referee like if Jetty and Ceriah are playing and its getting out of hand, Fynn will go and bite Ceriah (not hard but just a hey back off type of thing). And I mean.. his face <3. But I will wait to see how his personality unfolds and see about fostering him. That would probably be my best bet, I just wondered how adding another changed the dynamics for others.

crumble.jpg

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"I've only had one cat prior to these 3 (she hated all other cats lol) "
same exact thing for me. Too funny.
I almost had 5- my avatar Calico had two off the chart adorable sisters I fostered but need to afford vet bills sooooo I will stick with 3.
My 3 year old TACKLES my poor sick 19 year old so having them at similar ages would have been smart for me ...but you know the I HAVE TO SAVE THIS kitten feeling...
In hind site I should have had a buddy for my first cat as she was lonely, and I worked a lot away from home and cats are very social creatures. Maybe its just the picture but this little one doesn't look very healthy? I was a foster for 4 kittens and just fell for, and HAD to keep the runt who was low energy and had a loud murmur. he passed at age six and broke our hearts. Next one from same shelter I had them take him to a kitty cardiologist and hes been super healthy since-now 15.
my two hobbies.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes them being close in age is pretty important to help with play aggression my cats being young and cat friendly does really help. But at 2-4 there can be some fights as they are now more mature and wanting to establish themselves and decide on territory in the house. So there is that to think about to. We do plan on moving this year or next year and I will be either getting a screened in porch or a catio for them. I also plan on getting another cat tree cause I mean 4 just isn't enough haha. I adopted my first cat from the ehs at 9 months old, didnt try to get her a buddy until I bought one from the pet store *face palm I was young and didn't know ok lol* and did a horrible face to face meet and it didn't go well. She never really liked other cats and only liked one foster. My current cats do seem to get along pretty well, no spraying and only play aggression if the boys aren't played out enough. The size difference might not be helping either, Fynn and Jetty are massive, Ceriah is itty bitty compared to them lol. As you can see she's long and fluffy but quite itty bitty, Jetty is the smaller of the two boys. When Fynn get's playful he plays rough, it's like a semi hitting you he's so solid and strong lol.

20201014_133525.jpg

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous cats absolutely gorgeous and healthy looking. My first cat who lived to 18 with Fe Leuk. looked like the one on left. Bobcat-ish
Snooky was a polydactl with thumbs and I raised her like a dog (cause cats are too stand offish) sooooo she would let me put her on my head, hold her in my palm with one hand, hang her upside down carefully holding her just right. Total trust! It took about 3 yrs time.
She loved everyone she met-and they her) as long as they weren't felines! or too loud.

Attachments