things I wish pet people understood

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me say first I was a breeder of silver and golden Persians for a time, I was (and am) also a pet owner. I encourage the member breeders to add to this list,
1. I did not breed to get rich. In fact, I never made a profit (it wasn't important to me since it was a hobby not a business). I was breeding to have a cat of my own to show - which in itself is an extremely expensive activity.
1a. Don't grumble about the price of a kitten. Pedigree kittens are expensive because our expenses are high. None of us are made of money and we have to try to cover some of the basic expenses.
2. The cats and their happiness come first.
3. I do have a life besides the cats so if contacted it may take a little time to respond. I had a full time job when I was breeding, had kids, husband and house to take care of as well as the cats and a dog. I tried to answer within a day.
4 I spent countless hours raising your kitten so it is precious to me and I want to make certain it gets the best home possible. So if the questions I ask seem nosey, it is to determine if you are a good fit. I am responsible for this baby being here and want the absolute best for it.
5. Please don't ask to take the kitten before I feel like it is ready - there are reasons I keep them 12 to16 weeks. They need that time to learn social manners to avoid behavior issues.
6. Please remember to stay in touch. Your new baby was my baby for awhile and just because he belongs to you now doesn't mean I stop loving him. I enjoy the photos and emails about how things are going and will help with problems anyway I can.
7. Breeders work hard learning everything they can about their chosen breed from genetics, health issues, grooming and even behaviors.
I enjoyed breeding but it was very stressful, I had many sleepless nights. I worked my vacation time around breeding so I could be home with the mamas when it was time for delivery. I can't say how heart breaking it is when you lose an entire litter!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs I have several friends that are breeders and your words are exactly their words too.
You are among good company that have the same trails and tribulations with the hobby they chose.
With what you have expressed I would have a cat from you any day..

design1314

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great post. Although I have 20 years of experience taking care of cats, I still got a lot to learn. Posie has been a great help!