Things Are Looking Up...

uhmkyrstin

Mama to a Purrfect Kitten
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, me again.

I know a lot of you offered so much amazing advice to me on my Dippers health and on my current situation and I am so abundantly greatful. He is growing his hair back where the ring worm was located so I am assuming it is finally dying out. I bought some antifungal shampoo today to try finally knocking the parasite out and rid us of this nightmare.

As for keeping him and our housing situation, I plan to build him a nice, safe, outdoor home where he can sleep and eat. During the day I plan to get a very large play pen for him and I to play in and get him some exercise and let him explore. I'm going to give him a fan for hot weather and some heating pads for when it's chilly (I live in southern Louisiana so it's never freezing really). I found some clear vinyl to use instead of wire to keep the buggies out, and I'll clean it every day to keep my little one from getting sick again. We have an vet appointment coming up soon for shots, and things are looking up. :crossfingers: Does anyone have any advice on keeping cats in outdoor enclosures? I've found blueprints for some really nice, roomy ones with covered homes inside and levels and ramps for jumping and climbing.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just worried that keeping him outside puts him at risk for so many bugs and diseases :/ but wish you all the luck ! I can see you have a good heart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

uhmkyrstin

Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just worried that keeping him outside puts him at risk for so many bugs and diseases :/ but wish you all the luck ! I can see you have a good heart
I know, that's my exact concerns too. I'm going to build a custom cage for him using recycled windows instead of wire, so that it keeps bugs out. And for air flow and cooling, I plan to put tight screen that won't allow bugs to pass through. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to build it but I'm definitely keeping it at the top of my list to set things up to keep bugs out, and to keep his shots up to date and the area as clean as possible to ward of disease. (:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to get the pet-safe screen. It isn't much more expensive at all, and lasts forEVER! You'll replace it less than half as often and save money in the long term.

uhmkyrstin

Young Cat
Purraise
Be sure to get the pet-safe screen. It isn't much more expensive at all, and lasts forEVER! You'll replace it less than half as often and save money in the long term.
Oh thank you!! That sounds great, I'll definitely be using that. (:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, kittens mom kittens mom was talking about it on her thread not long ago, and I happened to remember it. Looks like all three of my brain cells were firing at the same time for once!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet safe screen is the best but it's no better than how you frame it in. I bought replacement screen kits and used spline and then covered the spline with a layer of liquid nail. By the time I must replace the screen I'll just get a new frame kit. Like any enclosure or something used to secure an animal regular inspection and taking care of minor repairs keeps them safe.

uhmkyrstin

Young Cat
Purraise
Pet safe screen is the best but it's no better than how you frame it in. I bought replacement screen kits and used spline and then covered the spline with a layer of liquid nail. By the time I must replace the screen I'll just get a new frame kit. Like any enclosure or something used to secure an animal regular inspection and taking care of minor repairs keeps them safe.
In your opinion, where can I find the very best screen and kits? I searched them on google and a ton came up, but I’m not sure what’s the best.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
In your opinion, where can I find the very best screen and kits? I searched them on google and a ton came up, but I’m not sure what’s the best.
I bought mine at the local hardware store. I'm sure you could find them at home depot. You can also buy little kits that have tabs so you can secure you screen in the frame on the house. We have a hardware cloth frame over the petsafe screen in our cat windows. It allows us to leave windows open when we're both at work without worry.
Think outside the box and scavenge ideas on the internet without shame. Repurpose materials for you needs. My best cat tree is a set of heavy duty shop shelves.