Thin 9 week old kitten..

Morticia_89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my family recently added a new kitty to our family. Elvis is a 9 week old Himalayan lynx point. He was the runt of the litter. However I'm a little worried about his weight and he has a vet appt in the next 2 weeks. I need some tips on how to help him gain, best food, supplements and is he too old to continue to get Kitten milk replacement? He was so small he could not latch to his Mom so was fully bottle fed. He currently is getting free fed Blue Buffalo Healthy growth dry and Blue buffalo high protein kitten wet 3-4 times a day in small servings. Also he is pot bellied as well which concerns me a bit. Thank you in advance for any advice! :)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also he is pot bellied as well which concerns me a bit.
Hi! Is there any way you can get the vet to move up your appointment? Give them a call and mention what you've posted here, and see if they can work you in sooner.

He's not too old to get KMR :)

kitten wet 3-4 times a day in small servings.
Is he cleaning up his plate? Try adding an additional meal, and also see if he'll eat more at each meal. Royal Canin Babycat is suggested by The KittenLady :) (the 3 oz can is on sale on Amazon and Petsmart has a 12 count case that is less of an outlay if this helps)

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's not a lynx point :). Lynx means tabby and he doesn't have any stripes. He looks like a very cute seal point!

You can add kitten milk replacer to his canned food, for as long as necessary. You can also add another feeding or two---his tummy is so small that he can't fit much at once, so an extra feeding may get more into him. Otherwise, as long as he's eating enthusiastically and growing steadily, you don't want him to gain too fast so don't get carried away with supplements. Slow and steady is better.

I agree you should try to get in to see the vet sooner, they can give a professional opinion.

Do you know how much he weighs right now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morticia_89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what I meant lol Seal point! my brain is not functioning today 😂 I was able to bump his appt to Monday. I have never seen a kitten this tiny at 9 weeks to be honest. He IS energetic he IS eating. But I swear I think I see nipples when I pick him up idk. Her daughters kept saying SHE which was weird I'm seriously wondering if Elvis is a she? Everything is so tiny I can't tell 😳

Morticia_89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Is there any way you can get the vet to move up your appointment? Give them a call and mention what you've posted here, and see if they can work you in sooner.

He's not too old to get KMR :)

Is he cleaning up his plate? Try adding an additional meal, and also see if he'll eat more at each meal. Royal Canin Babycat is suggested by The KittenLady :) (the 3 oz can is on sale on Amazon and Petsmart has a 12 count case that is less of an outlay if this helps)
Yes he is cleaning his plate! He is getting 3-4 small servings of wet and I'm leaving dry out during the day.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is getting 3-4 small servings of wet
Try this from willowy :)
You can add kitten milk replacer to his canned food, for as long as necessary. You can also add another feeding or two---his tummy is so small that he can't fit much at once, so an extra feeding may get more into him. Otherwise, as long as he's eating enthusiastically and growing steadily, you don't want him to gain too fast so don't get carried away with supplements. Slow and steady is better.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, my family recently added a new kitty to our family. Elvis is a 9 week old Himalayan lynx point. He was the runt of the litter. However I'm a little worried about his weight and he has a vet appt in the next 2 weeks. I need some tips on how to help him gain, best food, supplements and is he too old to continue to get Kitten milk replacement? He was so small he could not latch to his Mom so was fully bottle fed. He currently is getting free fed Blue Buffalo Healthy growth dry and Blue buffalo high protein kitten wet 3-4 times a day in small servings. Also he is pot bellied as well which concerns me a bit. Thank you in advance for any advice! :)
Kmr is OK for him, but I would suggest goats milk. Or even raw goats milk, if you can find it. Some nice vitamine paste wont hurt either.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things are okay but still worried he has a big pot belly now :(Elvis ha a appt tommorrow. And he was 15.5 oz at 8 weeks old.
A good rule of thumb is that kittens should gain a pound a month. That should be helpful to make sure he is staying on track and growing normal.

Morticia_89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give you a update on Elvis! He gad really bad worms and was dehydrated due to not feeling well. He will always be a runt and is much smaller than typical but he's happy healthy and finally growing 💗 he gas a follow up appointment with the vet next week for. Another vaccination and nueter consult.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww, what a terrific update, thank you!! Let us know how things go next week 😊