Thick, Gel-like patches of urine found from rescued stray

Bruce_who_is_ownd_by_pets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I looked around for articles with a similar situation but as of yet i have not, so here is some background.

Late November, I was working outside and I heard a cat calling-meowing loudly. Then I saw this small, thin stray black intact male cat trotting all the way down our long court and just started circling my legs and acting like I was his long lost best friend. I petted him for a long time and just thought he was a real nice neighborhood cat and he would move on. I went back to yard work. A couple of hours later, I cleaned up and closed the garage door and discovered the cat laying on a patio chair we moved in there to store over winter. I gave the cat some food and water and he ate/drank like he's been starving. I kept our side door open so he could leave when he thought it was time. We thought that this didn't seem like a true outdoor cat, but it could be someone's pet. The cat had no interest in leaving and setup home in our garage.

we put contacted the Humane Society in our area and our lost and found facebook group. Nothing until we found out that this cat used to belong to someone who moved some time ago and didn't take the cat with them. We thought we could take this cat into our family. The cat had fleas and we treated him with OTC frontline, but that didn't work right away. We took him to our vet for vaccinations and additional flea treatment. Vet thought he is about two years old and seemed healthy.

We slowly introduced him our pets, three cats and one dog over several weeks, (few minutes to start and added additional time etc.) Things went well at first. We found that he peed our bed. Then on a rug in my daughter's room and then on a rug in our family room. We bought a few of the plug in Feliway at our vet's recommendation. We thought that was working and then i saw him pee in an Amazon shipping box that was full of the air-bag shipping stuffing. After cleaning up the urine, we thought we smelled other spots too but at first we thought we were smelling the original spots. We then went on a urine hunt and started smelling everything. Turns out our curtains were sprayed and carpet areas along the walls. Worst area was in our room, where we keep our dog's crate for sleeping. Then while cleaning up a patch, we walked up to my wife and just pee'd right in front of her.

We put the cat back in the garage. Maybe he's not going to be the right fit for our house since he's two, used to living outdoors and still intact. He could be a loner since he didn't have any litter box issues in the garage. Could hate our dog etc. Please keep in mind, we have five litter boxes in our two-story house, so it's not a case of too many cats and not enough boxes.

So here is real issue. He had only been in the garage one night and in the morning I found two, quarter size patches of what looked like thick, brown gunky honey and it smelled like super concentrated urine. There was no signs of it ever being liquid, no run-off etc. I cleaned it up and then I found another one. This one was much smaller and I took a photo of it, that i have attached here. This one was much smaller, dime size and the honey like in color and thickness.

Anyone knows what this could be? Normal for an angry male intact cat? Thoughts? He's still using his litter box, acting normal and visible signs of redness/irritation.

In the house the cat never yowled using the litter box, but I notice him peeing for short bursts and then go to another box. I didn't think of anything of it and just thought it had to do with him being an outdoor cat.

I am concerned about his health, but I'm also concerned about cost. We just paid over $1,500 for an ER trip for our kitten who almost died due to a horrible respiratory infection.

Attachments

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if this cat needs 3 things...

First of all a Vet Visit... That is most important thing to do..

While at the Vet, they can check to see if he has a urinary infection.. it sounds as if he does...

Lastly, He DESPERATELY needs to be neutered! He really does..
He will spray constantly to mark his territory until the hormones are out of his body.. The fact that there are other cats in the home, are making his hormones go wild..

If he was, originally a house cat, then he deserves the attention and the Vet Care~~ even if he was a lifelong feral, outside cat; he needs Veterinary treatment.. If you cannot afford it, please contact a Rescue Group, who will provide the appropriate care and adoption.

Please help him.. It seems as if he is crying out for help and a home...
He deserves a loving warm home.. He had it once, and he was dumped.. poor thing...

Keep us informed... ((hugs)) Thanks for taking care of him..

Hopefully, I am not coming on strong.. I do not mean to be, but the status of the urine is bothering me.. I honestly feel as if he has an infection, and needs antibiotics....
You do not want this to worsen and become a life endangering situation... ((hugs)))

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like older dried up urine to me, is it possible you missed them before when he was in the garage earlier? I would clean them up and then see if any more show up. Intact cats will spray and pee all over the house especially when they are stressed or new, They want to mark their territory. Getting him neutered may stop him. Get a blacklight flashlight for finding cat urine in your house, They are invaluable for finding and then eliminating urine. Use them at night or shut all shades etc., and turn off lights. They also show any organic stains, so your kitchen, especially around your stove will look horrible. Get a good ENZYME cat urine cleaner, it actually eats up the urine so it completely disappears. He may have to be an outside cat, they have heated pads to install in a small house for cats in the winter, I have several, and they only use as much electricity as a 40watt bulb. Bless you, for helping him, he would most likely die without your help or at least be miserable.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also chiming in for a vet trip with check for UTI. Also, neutering ASAP. I realize that funds are tight now, but...first, UTI, then neutering. That might, within a very few weeks end your spraying issues. Be sure to check for spots with a black light, and clean thoroughly with a good enzymatic cleaner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks everyone.
1. yes, he needs to be neutered and he has an appointment and due to covid it's more than 10 days out, been scheduled for about a month now.
2. Not old urine. The item in the picture is a Christmas decoration that was on a wall and were kept overnight in our garage. Same with other object that i found the larger spots on. He had no access to it before hand.
3. not concerned about the urine. I have many cats over the years.
4. I have already been in contact with a vet, but i'm waiting to hear back
5. I'm really just interested if anyone has seen anything like this in case it's something other than a UTI, which is terrible I know.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we adopted one of our cats years ago, we found out he had bladder worms. The only reason the vet found them was due to the fact he peed on the fecal sample we brought in (checking for other worms). Maybe there's a way you could collect a urine sample and have it checked? Just a thought.

Here's some info on it....
Capillaria in Cats

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I actually have heard of such a thing - not for a cat, but for a human, so not sure if it would apply. But, for the human, it was semen in the urine, due to some sort of an anatomical abnormality. However, infection was ruled out first, so that is what you need to do first in order to start the investigative process. The human's experience was not related to any kind of cancer, and I don't believe anything was done to attempt to resolve the issue. That may be a question for the vet, if neutering this cat (unlike the human) might resolve the issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps, it is. But, the two times that Feeby had to have her anal glands expressed it looked nothing like your picture. It was dark brown in color and smelled pretty bad, but nothing like urine. If it is that, I hope the vet thinks it is normal and there is nothing wrong. Keeping Feeby's 'fingers' crossed for your buddy and a good outcome with the vet visit! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it looked nothing like your picture. It was dark brown in color and smelled pretty bad, but nothing like urine.
two, quarter size patches of what looked like thick, brown gunky honey and it smelled like super concentrated urine. There was no signs of it ever being liquid, no run-off etc. I cleaned it up and then I found another one. This one was much smaller and I took a photo of it, that i have attached here This one was much smaller, dime size and the honey like in color and thickness
The picture was the third item of concern that I found. The first two were much different from the third one I found. These two did look like brown sludge that could have come from his anal glands. I didn't think of taking a picture of the first two small mounds to goo. I didn't mention this before, but since we took him in, he will let out some really really smelly what we thought were farts all the time. Reading more, this is another symptom of an anal gland problem. Some cats will have an scent discharge when stressed/scared similar to how a skunk will spray. Though he would do this just sitting relaxing and then... air biscuit.

I actually hope it's this and an UTI because that is treatable unlike trying to stop a two year old male from stop spraying. We are keeping him separated from our other animals, but I don't know if it's doable to keep doing that for possibly six months after getting him neutered.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, i got the call from the Vet. There is nothing wrong with him. Glands seem normal. No UTI. Just marking his territory. Sigh. Now I have big decision time.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet offer any suggestions? Did the vet do a urinalysis? Is it possible it could be crystals or even Pyuria? (Could I possibly ask any more question? lol)

I found this in an article …."Urethral plugs may also cause FLUTD, Forrester says. A plug is composed of a gelatinous material that gets stuck in a cat's urethra, she says. "And in cats, they are almost always composed of struvite, but they are distinctly different from struvite stones," she says. "The plug can get stuck in the urethra in a male, and that can lead to urethral obstruction, which is life-threatening."
Interpret The Signs Of FLUTD In Feline Patients.

And then there's this.... "Pyuria is characterized by evidence of increased white and red blood cells and protein in the urine. Large numbers of white blood cells in voided urine samples can indicate an active inflammation somewhere along the urogenital tract. "
Pus in the Urine in Cats | PetMD

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is treatable unlike trying to stop a two year old male from stop spraying.
Most toms, no matter how old when neutered, will stop spraying after being neutered---sometimes immediately, sometimes after a few weeks. And at age 2 he's barely at full tomcat age. I think there's an excellent chance he'll stop spraying after being neutered :).

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are keeping him separated from our other animals, but I don't know if it's doable to keep doing that for possibly six months after getting him neutered.
I don't know how feasible this is for you but something we did was put a small dog kennel in our basement. One that is completely enclosed otherwise he'll climb out of the top of it (we found out the hard way, ours had a tarp on top). That way the other cats and dog can get used to him and vice versa. We trapped two kittens in our backyard and this worked well until we could find a suitable home for them.