They trust me a little less

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In two different threads I told you about my new kitten Freya, recently adopted, and her absurd behavior with the food. She's so obsessed with food that she keeps searching the house for it nearly all day. She tends to get in trouble, and very often she bites and chews on things that are unsafe or dangerous for her.
I'm telling you, she is driving me nuts!
So, yesterday I overreacted and yelled at her and grabbed her during one of her moments, and now she's lost her trust in me. She's staying away from me, she's looking scared and has stopped purring since yesterday, while before then she was a purring machine.

The other cat, Giada, a year older, has the same tendency, and she looks for food right after having eaten her meal, though she doesn't tend to eat dangerous things.

This morning I had just served their breakfast and the food cans were still in the kitchen sink waiting to be washed and disposed of, when I had to answer the phone. Giada seized the moment to jump in the sink and lick the cans and lids. I was afraid she could cut her tongue so, while I was on the phone, I shouted at her too, and she ran and hid away for a while.

Both cats are lovely, but this behavior of them is going to ruin our relationship, and I noticed they trust me a little less than before.

How can I fix this problem?
I discussed this thing with the vets in the last months, but they just look at me and nearly chuckle, like they don't believe me.

Like l said in some my previous posts, I had cats for two decades, but this obsessive behavior is new to me.
I need to find a solution to this neverending hunger and also regain their trust.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I feel you. I have a new rescue cat Casper who does not seem to get enough of food, and even tries to steal my other cats' food after he is done with his (because he eats really fast, like a vacuum cleaner!). I just leave out kibbles for him to eat in between regular meals.

Not an expert here, but for them to "regain" your trust - can you try feeding them while talking to them in a low, sweet voice? You may also try handfeeding Freya on her first few bites, or try giving them frequent treats until their fear of you are "forgotten". In between, you may also try if play time with the cats can make them "forgive" you.

Otherwise, time usually heals. You just have to be patient, patient and patient.

Others here may have more ideas.

Goodluck.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Until you can resolve the underlying issue with the food obsession, you are going to have to tamp down your obsession with their obsession. That means training yourself not to get out of control when they act on their abnormal food instincts. If one of them annoys you - before you do anything, take a deep breath and count to 5. That 5 seconds should serve as a reminder that lashing out at them is only going to have an overall negative effect. Obviously, if there is potential danger involved you will need to act faster - but, still count to 5 while you are acting. And, should that happen, you intervene to remove the danger but avoid reacting directly at them.

You also need to find ways to relax about this issue, even when they are behaving. Your demeanor is likely changing because you're frustrated, and they can sense that even when you are not yelling at them or lashing out. They can tell you've changed and that puts them on edge all the time, probably exacerbating their behavior with wanting to eat, and certainly making them much more leery of you all the time. Add to that an incident when you yell or lash out at them, and boom - they think you've gone nuts.

You may not be able to solve their behavioral issues - at least not yet - but, you are capable of solving the secondary issue it is causing in you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Freya, and how often are you feeding her? I'm sorry, I may have missed previous threads, and am asking you to repeat information. Kittens are little balls of energy, and need feeding far more often than adults up until they are about 8 months old, at least. Your little girl may just be hungry!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This may sound off the wall, but maybe one of those "licking" treats might help keep the cat occupied. I've seen them online. They look almost like cat lollipops that are stuck onto a wall and the cat can lick it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Freya, and how often are you feeding her? I'm sorry, I may have missed previous threads, and am asking you to repeat information. Kittens are little balls of energy, and need feeding far more often than adults up until they are about 8 months old, at least. Your little girl may just be hungry!
HI Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , no problem at all.
Freya is one week short of 4 months old. I'm feeding her about 8 times a day with premium quality kitten food, wet and dry.
As from yesterday I'm transitioning from baby kitten to young kitten food. This will take the whole week.
Yes, she might be hungry, but it seems to me she's more likely glutton, she just eats everything. She's sleeping now.
I had introduced her in this thread
Time to meet Freya
:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound off the wall, but maybe one of those "licking" treats might help keep the cat occupied. I've seen them online. They look almost like cat lollipops that are stuck onto a wall and the cat can lick it.
Yes ladytimedramon ladytimedramon , I remember that suggestion in my other thread for the other cat with the same issue :)
They are both eating more than I think they should. The vet that saw them said they are fine.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, the good thing is that it is impossible to OVER feed a kitten that age!