They say there are no stupid questions....but...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all get those moments when we ask something, then realize how dumb we must sound. Either because it didn't come out right or we just didn't think it thru before saying anything. Then there have been those moments when we were on the receiving end of one of those moments, where someone asks you something...and you're just...."wait...what?" Sometimes, it's because it's coming from someone who is a few bricks short...but for the most part I think it's just not thinking before speaking...we've all done it.

I know I'm smart, but just this morning, I was watering my potted flowers out on the deck. Then a random thought popped into my head.
We have "indoor" plants and "outdoor" plants. Some indoor plants would die if planted outside. So my brain went off track and I thought.
Before people and houses....how did these so called "indoor plants" survive? :doh: :drool: :rolleyes3:
I live in Northern Ontario Canada...so of course many plants are indoor only, at least for most of the year around here.........totally not thinking about the tropical or year round hot/warm climates around the rest of the world. Thankfully, I only thought this and didn't actually say it to anyone. And realized immediately after I ask that question to myself...how stupid that question was....

How about you?

Do you have a stupid question moment you would like to share?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my eldest was young his teacher told the kid's for homework to look at old photos, and ask their grandparents about when they were young. After looking at some pictures with his grandad he turned to me and asked "was it black and white when you was little too mum" so I told him yes it was and we had dinosaurs as pet's.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my eldest was young his teacher told the kid's for homework to look at old photos, and ask their grandparents about when they were young. After looking at some pictures with his grandad he turned to me and asked "was it black and white when you was little too mum" so I told him yes it was and we had dinosaurs as pet's.
I think I asked my parents when the world changed from black and white into color when I was a kid.

I can't consider any question a small child asks stupid. They're still figuring out the world.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that kids get a free pass when asking questions that otherwise would seem "obvious", and I don't think there is such thing as a "stupid" question if you are trying to inform yourself about a subject matter you don't know.
It's the "duh" moments that make me giggle.
I think back to a comedian who's comedy was based a lot on his personal life. He started on a joke about when he called his wife to tell her that his plane was delayed because it (or perhaps another plane on the run way...can't remember exactly) had hit a deer. The wife's response to that was. "Oh my! Was the plane on the ground?"....... :doh: :lol:
Uh....no...Santa decided to get a head start on Christmas that year! LOL!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that kids get a pass, but one of my friends asked a question when she was little that nobody in her family will let her forget. She saw a pickup truck topper in someone's yard (you know how people take them off the truck and put them aside for later use). And she asked "how did they bury the rest of the truck?" Really it was fine deductive reasoning for a young brain, but her brothers love to tease her about it. . .

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I asked my parents when the world changed from black and white into color when I was a kid.

I can't consider any question a small child asks stupid. They're still figuring out the world.
I know kid's are figuring out the world maybe I shouldn't of put this under stupid question's but silly the laughter that that question brought was one of my fondest memories of my son, and still makes me and him giggle now. I did eventually tell him I didn't have a dinosaur as a pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a child "comment" moment from when I was a kid, I was about 3-4 years old.
My grandmother was babysitting me while my parents went out. My room was a mess, and I was told to make sure I cleaned up before they got home. My Mom also told my Grandmother, so was aware of this...
So anyway, it was nearing the end of the evening, and my Grandmother who had already told me earlier to clean up, came to me and said. "Now if you don't get that mess cleaned up I'm going to put your lights out!" ---This was not a real threat of course---
I assume at the time I didn't completely understand what that meant....I thought for a moment, and responded. "...well I'll just turn them back on again!"
My Grandmother couldn't hold it in and just burst out laughing. Needless to say, she helped me put my stuff away and we then played a board game.

I also remember when I was a kid and DVDs first came out. I was spending the night at a friends house. Her parents were always one the first of my friends to get with the new technology...even if they didn't understand all of it.
So we had rented a movie and we were getting all settled in the living room with our sleeping bags and snacks and her Dad yells out to us....Now don't forget to rewind it! (Both she and her brothers never rewound video cassettes, which annoyed her Dad) We both looked at each other, laughed and she said "Don't worry Dad...I will"

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was a funny moment (to us) when my sister was very young. She, my mother, my aunt, and me were out at the airport watching planes take off and land. One went by and my mother said, there goes a mail plane. A short time later, a little prop plane took off, and my sister asked, in all seriousness, "Is that one a female plane?"

I still remember that after all these years. And still find it funny.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I know that I have asked a lot of stupid questions because I have no interest in cars or sports, so I am sure that anything I have asked has been beyond obvious and basic. Once when I looked at a car by myself, my husband asked me how many cylinders it had and I thought that was a dumb question and told him I was sure it had some.

My nephew, who was not as young as you might hope he would have been to ask this question, wanted to know what kind of animal Smokey the Bear is. He is also the kid who sang, "give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and the canteloupe play."

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked my dental hygienist a silly question. I told her that when I floss my teeth, I have a hard time getting the floss out of the teeth that are tightly spaced. I said, " I didn't think I was ever going to get it out one time. ".

She must have been laughing to herself but she matter-of-factly told me, " Just pull it through from the end.".

I felt so dumb with my ' why didn't I think of that ' moment.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this falls under "dumb" category but when I was in my teens a relative from the province came to visit us in Manila. It was his first visit so we wanted to give him a memorable vacation. We then brought him along in shopping malls. One day we then planned to watch a movie which was located at the 4th floor of this huge mall so we opted to ride the elevator. Before the doors opened, that relative asked,

"Shall I leave my shoes outside the door?"

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise