Theres a POSSUM in my house! Help!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! LOL There is a baby possum...about medium sized under my kitchen sink!!!
What do I do? How do I get it out? Any ideas?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh....i have no idea sweetie
I'm really trying not to laugh, but it's kinda funny. First thing to do is make sure all of your furbabies are in one room seperate from them. Secondly- you do not need to touch the possum or try to handle it- it could be rabid or have something else going on with it and could potentially hurt you. You never want to handle a wild animal. Do you have a door that goes outside from your kitchen? I would try and make a loud noise in the kichen (without getting too close ) and leave the door open- maybe it will run out? If not- umm...maybe you could put some sort of smelly food right outside of the door- and when it runs out to get it- shut it outside? If all else fails- keep yourself seperated from it tonight and call animal control in the morning (soemtimes they make night calls- might be something to look into
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't blame you for wanting to laugh because I am laughing to...I swear stuff like this could only happen to me. LOL I was thinking about putting some canned cat food in my bird carrier (its a large dog carrier) and maybe seeing if it would go in there....but if it didn't I would be screwed LOL. Maybe I should wait til morning and have my dad bring his live trap over.

I hope momma isn't close by LOL

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I scared it off for now....I took 2 pics of it (can't get them on the computer though need to get a cord for my camera first) and it ran through where it came from...made a nice big hole...gonna have to fix that up. I'm still going to get a live trap from my dad and put it under there in case it comes back before we can fix it...I don't want it around here. And it doesn't look so small in the pics so I don't think its too young.

The only thing I am worried about is it getting to Charlie. His cage is by the kitchen and its way too big to move it to another room. Looks like I won't be getting much sleep tonight.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh YUK!
Possums are not cute!
I had one in the horse pasture that I thought was dead so I went to scoop him up and he was playing dead, and he HISSED at me. Scared the crap out of me! I got all the animals away from it and waited IN THE HOUSE for BF to get home from work. By the time he got there it had dissapppeared.

personally, I would find someone else to get rid of it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one a few years ago in the garage sleeping on a chair!! I first thought it was one of the cats then realized it wasn't!! I poked it with a stick and opened the garage door and it finally ran out. I know you can trap them with dry cat food but I would keep all your other animals away as possums can be quite vicious. I think they might be a rabies carrier too.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am too afraid to mess with it too much LOL. I called my dad and he said not to mess with it and that he will call my uncle to try to get the trap from him.

It got in because there was a small hole..that we have been meaning to fix under there and he made it a big one.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they're not exactly cute, but they make terrific garbage disposals! (warning: my redneck roots are showing
) We had one as a pet when I was young. Our dog had killed a mama opossum and all the babies on her back had been scattered and died, too. but when my dad went to pick up the mama's body, he noticed a tiny set of legs wiggling in Mama's pouch! We couldn't just let the poor lil orphan die, so we kept him in my (late) hamster's cage and bottle-fed him. Pogo lived with us (out back in his own pen) for about three years until he died.

Now as much of a soft-spot as he had for Pogo, my dad will defend his outdoor cats from any males that wander into his property - they can play havoc w/a colony of cats! Dad usually has to dispose of one each winter, because they're drawn in by the cat food.

I agree I would try your dad's live trap or animal control, and get that hole sealed up ASAP!! Good luck!!

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would avoid the kitchen for now...
then when your dad brings the trap over...place a cracker with peanut butter on it...leave it over night under the sink...and BAM! you got yourself a possum trap!
I'm pretty sure it should work...thats what we used to do when they got in our garage.
good luck. maybe you can tame it..and call it a kitty.
Kinda like ice age II...only reverse!
btw
thats pretty funny

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you'll catch it with the live trap. In the meantime, be sure the cabinet is locked or blocked so it can't come out into the house. Those little toes/fingers might be able to work a latch.

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THE CHRISTMAS POSSUM!

My folks live next to some woods. My dad is retired and last year took up this peculiar hobby of trapping and re-locating raccoons that were eating the corn he put out for the deer. (Don't try and figure it out, I gave up months ago!) Anyway, on Christmas Eve last year he trapped a possum. My neices and nephews were so excited and now everytime they visit they want to try and catch the Christmas Possum.

I'm sure your Dad and/or Uncle will be able to trap him. Do get your hole fixed, though. Unless, of course, you'd like to share your digs with a whole family of possums!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

maybe the possum is holding her captive...I wonder what it's demands are lol
oh wow! now that would be quite a sight to see

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay call animal control and find out where it is coming in at. I am a farmer and you should be very careful that it doesn't find your bird since birds are a favorite snack of their's, do not get too close they are VERY dangerous animals. And whatever you do don't make it feel cornered. Call animal control and have them find it and relocate it and find out where it is coming in at.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little PITA is still there because my dad didn't call back about the trap today but I will call him tomorrow and hopefully he will bring it over. I have the cabinet doors all blocked off and taped up so it can't get out. If the trap doesn't work or if it gets out I will call animal control (or the possum will go to possum heaven
because I am not going to let it get to my cats or birds....I am a big softie and a big animal lover but my babies safety comes first.).

I have been told to get some steel wool and my dad said to get some type of foam (I have no idea what he meant lol) to cover the hole..and it will be boarded up. I don't want any more visitors. LOL