There's a DOG in my house

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet says that the most stressful thing for a cat is introducing a dog to the house, and moving house. We did that to our cats (poor babies) by moving house and then getting two puppies three months apart!

We have a Feliway diffuser in the cats' room, and with slow introductions they are coming around, but its taking a lot of work.

I think it's fair if you feel that you can't keep this pup, and I think it's lovely of you to be looking after him anyway. Dori will settle eventually and especially if you find a new home for the pup, or it's existing home, then she should be back to normal soon.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're stressing about it, Dori will too. As long as the dog isn't going to hurt her, relax and let them sort themselves out.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like this dog is used to being the dominant one, considering that he humps your leg & chases/stares at/ harrasses the cat. He needs to be taught his place in the pack, which for the safety of your cat, is beneath both you and Dori. A good way to enforce this is to make sure that he "sits" or obeys another command before you feed him, pet him, give him treats - dogs like to earn their treats. A dog, unlike a cat, thrives on discipline more than on affection - I'm not saying dont' love on him, but if he knows his place, he will feel more happy & secure and you will have a well-behaved dog that is a pleasure for all to be around.
Here is a the tip-page from Cesar Millan, the star of National Geographic's Dog Whisperer: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...erer/tips.html
Bless you for taking him in - dogs are high maintenance, but the rewards are worth it! Think how well protected you will sleep! He can warn you with barking in case of intruders & fire. I hope things are going well!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Bless you for taking him in - dogs are high maintenance, but the rewards are worth it! Think how well protected you will sleep! He can warn you with barking in case of intruders & fire. I hope things are going well!
I agree about the high maintenance as compared to cats. But with my Jello, he is no guard dog.
The kitties accepted him from day one.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My parents adopted an older (c. 10-year-old) cat with no experience of dogs. At first she was terribly afraid of their cat-loving Lab, and went out of her way to avoid him. They made sure she had several elevated places to withdraw to in each room, and didn't interfere. Within a few weeks she'd decided he was harmless (and very warm), and started sleeping with him. When he took a stroke six years later, she only outlasted him by a few days - we think she died of a broken heart. Those two were extremely close.
Jamie loves dogs. His "buddy" is a greyhound that lives next door, and now he's making friends (through the fence) with a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for all the great advice. It has been very helpful!
This morning I brought him to be scanned for a microchip and he did not have one. So I brought him over to my mom and dads because they had decided to keep him. They have 1 inside dog and she is fairly large and kept jumping all over him. We all thought it may not be a good idea for him to stay there so I brought him back home where the decision was made to keep him.

I purchased a baby gate and put it in the doorway that leads to the hallway. Before bringing the doggy inside I made sure Dori knew she was able to jump from one side to the other. This gives her 1/2 of the house for her very own, which includes the 3 bedrooms and this is where her litter box is, her favorite window, and where she sleeps. I have also moved her food to my bedroom and her toy basket so the toys don't get doggy germs
I then brought the dog inside and things have actually been going very well. There has only been one incident of Dori hissing and running off. After the calmness of this afternoon compared to last night I feel confident this will work out. I feel even better that Dori has just decided to come sit with me while I type

I did leave my information with Animal Control's lost and found and have hung several fliers around the neighborhood, convienence stores, and vets office. There's still hope someone will claim him, but I am not sure. It's very odd no one has seen my fliers and called
I need to get him in for a vet exam though. I am curious as to how old the vet thinks he is. He appears to have a cataract (sp?) in one eye which made me think he was old, but he doesn't act old at all. He is extremely playful, is not leash trained (not one bit, it has been a challenge), and is not completely housebroken either. He does not want to walk in the grass. It's all so strange to me.

So, here's a few pics of our new addition. We are still working on a name.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This pics a little bigger, (please remove if too big mods). I was just wondering if anyone has an idea on what type of dog he is? He has a long tail, not a short stubby one, very short legs as well.

ravyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a french bulldog. You can almost bet someone somewhere is looking for him. They cost a LOT of money from a good breeder.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what kind of doggie he is but he sure is cute.
:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Aren't French bulldogs usually black, with "bat ears", and shorter-snouted? I'd say "mixed breed", and adorable!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Aren't French bulldogs usually black, with "bat ears", and shorter-snouted? I'd say "mixed breed", and adorable!
His snout is very short. The picture doesn't really show it well. As my Dad describes him, he looks likes he's walked into a door over and over and smashed his face in

I looked at some pics of the frech bulldogs online and he does look a lot like them, the lighter colored ones, but there's part of him that doesn't. It's hard to tell. We have looked at so many pictures online trying to figure it out but that is what he most looks like. Yesterday I thought he looked like a pug-mix but now I am not so sure.

We had another hissing incident earlier this evening. We were walking him around the backyard and while we were out Dori walked over to the sliding glass door to look out. I kept him on a leash while we came in so he wouldn't attack her and she would stay son the floor. It worked for a few minutes but as soon as we took the leash off he ran after her, she hissed and jumped over the baby gate and has been hiding under the bed since.

I don't like her hiding under the bed
Should I just leave her alone while she is there? I hope she doesn't decide to stay there permanently. I feel guilty that she doesn't feel she can roam free in her home, but I am doing everything I can to give her adequate room away from the dog.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he's gorgeous! And that you should call him `Lucky'.!

And Dori will come round - I know you've got the baby gate but a Feliway diffuser might help, too. It's tough for her right now, but she loves you, she knows you love her, and she'll be a good resiliant kitty kat and come round eventually!

ravyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frenchies come in many other colors than black. I still say frenchie. There is some variation in the breed between show and pet quality, like with any other breed. He may be a bad pet quality frenchie, or a poorly bred speciman from someone who wanted to make money off the frenchie breed, but I still claim frenchie

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's cute, Tanya!
Poor little Dori. You guys are definitely on the right track, I'm sure it will just take some time. I agree with your feelings to let Dori be when she feels like taking refuge under the bed. You may just want to sit down on the floor and talk gently to her, read softly, perhaps catch up some of your studies, even!

I know it's breaking your heart to see her upset, but you're doing the best you know to do right now. Snuggles to Dori from us, and big hugs to her Mommy during this time of transition

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he is a French Bulldog as well. We have had dogs & cats together for 2 years. To this day Twitch still gets a running start & attacks the dogs every once in a while. I have heard that it takes a month or more for some dogs & cats to like each other. They may never live in perfect harmony, but most of them get along. Its when the dogs get too close to the litter pan that the cat goes crazy...

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I think he is a French Bulldog as well. We have had dogs & cats together for 2 years. To this day Twitch still gets a running start & attacks the dogs every once in a while. I have heard that it takes a month or more for some dogs & cats to like each other. They may never live in perfect harmony, but most of them get along. Its when the dogs get too close to the litter pan that the cat goes crazy...
Jeesh! A month? I WISH it had only taken a month - been nearly five months in my place and they still can't stand the dogs.... and Sashka has taken to pooping on the bed the last few days (I think out of outraged protest...
)