there should be a forum just for cat litter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
HI.
Im' out of love for my cat litter.
It's world best. Lavender. I bought it because I was toilet training. I gave up. My simese is wouldn't poop there. She wanted the litter, even though she doesn't cover! (Right!).
So I gave in and put a box back in the cabinet.
I'm getting a dog, so I want to keep the cat poo away from the dogs' reach.
If the dog does swipe a bite, I want it to me ok for the dog to swallow as well.
The dog has an affinity for lavender smell to pee and poo on as well.
SO, no more lavender because I don't want dog poo and pee in the house.
When the dog arrives, I'm getting ready.

So this worlds best is TOO dusty. The cats are long hair. It stitcks to them. And when the scratch in the box the dust clouds up in the bathroom.

I also would like flushable.

SO here is the list:
ok for dogs to eat (Just in case)
no dust
flushable

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think any litter should be flushed even if it says you can on the label. IMO that's just inviting disaster. We used to use World's Best too and I did flush it- at first. Then I stopped because I always had a feeling that it just wasn't a good idea. We also no longer use the WB litter because IMO it doesn't handle odor well and it's not good at clumping.

Here's an article about why it's not a good idea. Why you shouldn't flush flushable cat litter

Here is an article listing the 5 best litters that you can flush though if that's what you want to do.

FelineLiving.net

When thinking about litters that might fit your list of needs, the first one I thought of was the Blue Buffalo. I don't think any litter is GOOD for a dog to eat but some would be worse than others. BB is made from walnut shells. I think that keeping a baby gate up blocking off the area where the litter box is to keep the dog out might help. Not all dogs like to snack out of the litter box. Hopefully yours won't. Frequent scooping helps too. Good luck.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We used a covered litter box for our cat(s) with our dog and it really helped. There are many different kinds available. Fingers crossed this might help solve the problem when you get your pup. :crossfingers:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are not covered but the problem with dog eating litter made me think of something. There are litter boxes that open at the top. Doesn't seem sanitary to me, though. I agree, WB is not a good litter. Get unscented

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a basement, utility closet, furnace room or other room that can be kept closed? You can install a cat door or even just cut a cat sized hole in the door.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you looked at tofu litters?
Dust-free, clumps just fine, and non-toxic. It's literally tofu (soy bean curd)
I haven't used it myself, but it is very popular here in Korea.
You'll have to do your own research on what brands are available in the states, but after a quick Google search I found these you might take a look at:
Tofu Cat Litter
TofuKitty Club

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you looked at tofu litters?
Dust-free, clumps just fine, and non-toxic. It's literally tofu (soy bean curd)
I haven't used it myself, but it is very popular here in Korea.
You'll have to do your own research on what brands are available in the states, but after a quick Google search I found these you might take a look at:
Tofu Cat Litter
TofuKitty Club
Expensive is an understatement.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the US, yes. In other countries it's a lot more mainstream. The US has a lot of landfill space and doesn't have much motivation to encourage biodegradable cat litter, but most other countries can't be so casual about it. Honestly, developing something from waste products from corn or soybeans would be ideal, and really should be cheaper than mining and trucking clay around, but it'll probably take something catastrophic to cause the US market to change.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I didn't know. Here you can buy it at the dollar store. Then again, soy products are staples of every day life here.
And, if the OP is concerned about toxicity to the dog, spending extra on tofu litter might be worth it? It ticks all of OP's boxes, so it could be worth a test run anyway~

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently switched to a litter made of recycled paper pellets, and am pretty impressed with it. It is not dusty at all, doesnt smell, its biodegradable (wouldnt recommend flushing litter though, even if it says its flushable), and its pretty non toxic, although I dont have a dog and probably wouldnt want them eating large quantities of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a basement, utility closet, furnace room or other room that can be kept closed? You can install a cat door or even just cut a cat sized hole in the door.
I just bought a cat door last night for the basement

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree there should be a litter forum.

Personally, I don't like the idea of food-based litters because of bugs and rodents. If I did switch to something biodegradable, it would probably be paper-based.