There is a BAT in my apartment!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Yes Nat rabies is fatal once you show symptoms. You must get the bat out for yor safety and trouts. And to be on the safe side side get the vaccine yourself.
I am going to make an appointment to get vaccines for myself. But first I might get them to test the bat for rabies so I don't have to worry about Trout and I anymore. I am a nervous wreck.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll have to kill the bat to test is....

You know, it's rather funny - I don't see anyone going into a panic over mice in their homes, and they can carry bubonic plague (there are still occasional outbreaks of this) and hanta. So why all the irrational fear because of bats?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You know, it's rather funny - I don't see anyone going into a panic over mice in their homes, and they can carry bubonic plague (there are still occasional outbreaks of this) and hanta. So why all the irrational fear because of bats?
Maybe b/c having a mouse in the house is more common than a bat?!

I hope they get it out tonight Nat.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If there was a mouse in my house I would be freaking out!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

If there was a mouse in my house I would be freaking out!
Um, yeah I did when our rental house in college did! We had an exterminator come out that same day & get rid of them! Rabies & other diseases? No thanks!

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I live in northwest Montana, and to the east, only about 5 hours away, we DO have the bubonic plague. The prairie dogs carry it. My brother and hubby and all their buddies go over there and shoot prairie dogs. You aren't supossed to touch them AT ALL after you kill them. They are a huge problem there, they breed like crazy, so when the guys go hunting they all get to shoot a lot so everybodys happy. Well almost everyone. Certainly NOT the prairie dogs.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I have read you cannot get rabies unless you get bitten???
I found a couple of dead bats in the driveway this summer and I put a plastic grocery bag over my hand and scouped it into another plastic bag.

BTW there is a girl from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin that was bitten by a bat a couple of years ago helping clean her church. She did not tell anyone for a few weeks. The docs that treated here-well she is one of the only rabies survivors in the world.

You should have a college in London?? Try to get a phone number in their biology dept -a professor or aide should be able to give you info.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well you see, the point is..if you wake up with a bat in your bedroom you are supposed to get rabies vaccines because you can't tell whether they have bitten you or not. The bites are small and you don't feel them.

This is why I'm panicking. It was not only in my bedroom, but inches away from my face. I have no idea if it bit me or not.

A mouse, you would know if it bit you because it hurts alot!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you know when we where kids one got in the house.
Dad used my sisters bra to catch it, and kill it.

hmm but for some reason, sister would never wear that bra again.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OKAY, Trout has located the bat, and the bat catcher is on his way..

PLEASE SEND BATCATCHING VIBES!

omg, I hope this works.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Try calling a wildlife agency and ask them. There probably isn't all that many types of bats in London, ON, and you can provide them with a picture of yours. They'll know.

Also, it would be in your best interests to keep it alive and catch it to take to a rescue place, otherwise it will die and decay. And decaying flesh is a very disgusting smell. It smells like really, really used kitty litter with a sickly sweet smell to it. I mean a really sickly sweet smell and it's very difficult to get rid of.
you know WAY too much about decaying flesh

Nat - I hope you get your bat tested and yourself vaccinated - good vibes for you!

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Bubonic plague!! OMG!! Don't get me started about that!! I could NEVER live in a house where rodents could get in!!!

Good luck Nat!! I hope they get that bat outta there!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The BAT IS GONE!

Finally..the bat guy came and scooped up the little Dori in one slow motion. He made it look so easy too

Thank goodness, here's to a good sleep tonight!

He said they HAVE to test it for rabies since it has been in my house for a few days..or weeks

He will let me know if its positive or negative..then if its positive, I will have to get rabies vaccine
Trout just got hers a month ago, thank god.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

The BAT IS GONE!

He will let me know if its positive or negative..then if its positive, I will have to get rabies vaccine
Trout just got hers a month ago, thank god.
Glad to hear that it's gone but I'm crossing my fingers that it didn't have rabies. I've heard that those shots particularly hurt!