There is a BAT in my apartment!!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww... look at the little bat
I would be freaking out if I were you too. I hope Trout doesn't get to Dori.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents had a bat in their house on Tuesday night- they just opened the door & it flew out.

Can I ask why you haven't gotten it out of there yet?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I am a complete wuss when it comes to things like that and I wouldn't be even in the apartment until it was gone.
Me too! You are a very brave lady to stay in your apartment with a bat that close! I'm sorry but I'm terrified of bats, I would be a complete basket case. There was one time at my apartment 7 years ago I thought there was a bat flying around when I got up in the middle of the night, I didn't have my contacts in so I couldn't see too well so I'm really not sure, but I did call the police to come out and he checked everything out and didn't see a way it could of gotten in and we never did find anything. So we're thinking maybe it was a moth since I could not see well and could not be sure, gosh I always hoped so. But, I slept with the lights on and didn't sleep well at all for I would say a month.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done so much research on bats after this scare happened and how to keep them out of your house/apartment. I didn't realize what small openings they can actually fit through. I use door guards, seal up any cracks and holes, never leave windows open at night even with screens in and I have those pest repellent devices plugged in. Someone had also told me if you hang wind chimes outside your windows/doors or where ever they may enter, that will also keep them away, since they don't like the sound.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I like how it's called Natterer's Bat.

BTW, those are British bats. As far as I know, Trouts Mom lives in Ontario. Either way those bats are very cute.

Here's a bat control site based in London. I don't know what they do with the critters when they evict them, though.
Ah, that London.

If you ever heard of Gainesville, FL, there's a giant bat house that's pretty popular there. They built it because the bats were roosting under their college stadium and causing a stench. The story goes that an old professor brought up the idea of a bat house but no one believed that it would work so the bats faced extermination. The professor convinced the dean to build it at an empty part of the college gardening grounds and within a few nights, all the bats moved to the bat house! I went to it a few nights and it's so cool to watch them all come out in the evening!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Awww! She's cute!

I hope you are leaving food out for her because she will starve

The poor little thing must be terrified.
What the heck would I leave out for her?
Any ideas? I have no bugs on hand

Originally Posted by babyharley

My parents had a bat in their house on Tuesday night- they just opened the door & it flew out.

Can I ask why you haven't gotten it out of there yet?
It won't fly out if its cold, it will die in this weather..plus, its not flying around when I see it..just creeping around my bedroom clinging to things

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

What the heck would I leave out for her?
Any ideas? I have no bugs on hand
Try calling a wildlife agency and ask them. There probably isn't all that many types of bats in London, ON, and you can provide them with a picture of yours. They'll know.

Also, it would be in your best interests to keep it alive and catch it to take to a rescue place, otherwise it will die and decay. And decaying flesh is a very disgusting smell. It smells like really, really used kitty litter with a sickly sweet smell to it. I mean a really sickly sweet smell and it's very difficult to get rid of.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely you have a pair of winter gloves?

Prepare a box with an old towel in the bottom, tape up the bottom flaps, poke holes, and be keep the roll of tape near the box.
Keep the gloves close and when you see the bat again calmly walker over and carefully cup your hands around it -be gentle so you don't hurt the wings but don't be surprised if the bat tries to cling to whatever it's on.
Put it in box, carefully tape shut, and take it to someone who can take care of it like a wild life rehabber.

Don't let it scare you.
If anything the little bat is terrified of you, a huge loud giant.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about bats but will light keep them away? Like sleeping with your lights on in the bedroom.

It's sounding like you have a new pet.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It won't fly out if its cold, it will die in this weather..plus, its not flying around when I see it..just creeping around my bedroom clinging to things
Hmm... theirs flew out okay and it was like 10*

At any rate, I don't know much about bats, but what about its droppings?
I don't think thats something I'd want around my place, especially with little Trout around

If you aren't going to get rid of it, I'd at least keep an eye on it in case it dies somewhere. Make sure Trout cant' get at it, in case it does have a disease of some sort!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat, just in case of rabies, get Trout out to somewher safe until the bat is gone. Trout has got to be your priority! Fingers crossed nothing happens to her! Can she stay at your sisters until the bat is safely removed?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Nat, just in case of rabies, get Trout out to somewher safe until the bat is gone. Trout has got to be your priority! Fingers crossed nothing happens to her! Can she stay at your sisters until the bat is safely removed?
Trout has her rabies shots though...I don't think this bat has rabies..it seems normal to me..

I am going to tell my landlord tonight to get someone in and SOON. I don't want this bat in my place..I just am too much of a chicken to grab it myself

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, all jokes aside, I am panicking.

I read that if you find one in your bedroom, you should get rabies vaccines because you can't tell if you have been bitten or not.

I want to cry, how am I supposed to sleep tonight? Should I get rabies vaccines!?!?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Guys, all jokes aside, I am panicking.

I read that if you find one in your bedroom, you should get rabies vaccines because you can't tell if you have been bitten or not.

I want to cry, how am I supposed to sleep tonight? Should I get rabies vaccines!?!?

Thats exactly why I was wondering why you had not gotten rid of it yet. I read that too & was wondering if it applies to animals. If Trout has gotten bitten, you wouldn't know either

I would contact your Dr. & also someone to get that thing out of your apartment TONIGHT! Better to be safe than sorry!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

"I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy!" -Dory, Finding Nemo-

Er, how about Squeaker?
"And I shall hug him and squeeze him and name him George" (Abominable - Bugs Bunny cartoon)

Originally Posted by clixpix

I'll bet you had to fumigate...ah, but what are you guano do?

So, so sorry, but I had to!
That one really stinks, Kelly.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thats exactly why I was wondering why you had not gotten rid of it yet. I read that too & was wondering if it applies to animals. If Trout has gotten bitten, you wouldn't know either

I would contact your Dr. & also someone to get that thing out of your apartment TONIGHT! Better to be safe than sorry!
I didn't realize that humans died from rabies..I figured it was curable. But once you show symptoms it is 100% fatal so I am losing it.

Trout has been vaccinated so she will be okay..I am telling my landlord to get it out TONIGHT.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't realize that humans died from rabies..I figured it was curable. But once you show symptoms it is 100% fatal so I am losing it.

Trout has been vaccinated so she will be okay..I am telling my landlord to get it out TONIGHT.
If you can't get ahold of your landlord - confine it to a room with an open door or window - put Trout in the bathroom & try & shoo the thing out!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Nat rabies is fatal once you show symptoms. You must get the bat out for yor safety and trouts. And to be on the safe side side get the vaccine yourself.