There is a BAT in my apartment!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rachelh1018

Bubonic plague!! OMG!! Don't get me started about that!! I could NEVER live in a house where rodents could get in!!!
It's very hard to keep rodents out completely, especially when the weather starts to turn cold.
Also, as it has already been pointed out, rodents are not the only animals that can carry the fleas and get/die from bubonic plague. Rabbits, squirrels, cats, and apparently even cougars (Nov. 2nd incident) can too.

Glad the bat has been caught. If there's any concern about having to get the rabies vacs, there could be a thread started as there are a few people on here that have had to get them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Glad to hear that it's gone but I'm crossing my fingers that it didn't have rabies. I've heard that those shots particularly hurt!
They actually don't anymore I guess. I asked the bat guy about them, and he said they don't do them in the stomache anymore. They just give you like 3-7 shots in your arm over a couple weeks depending on your size. And he said they are no different then regular flu shots or whatever.

I am so happy this morning..even though I went to bed at 1am, I feel SO rested

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

They actually don't anymore I guess. I asked the bat guy about them, and he said they don't do them in the stomache anymore. They just give you like 3-7 shots in your arm over a couple weeks depending on your size. And he said they are no different then regular flu shots or whatever.

I am so happy this morning..even though I went to bed at 1am, I feel SO rested
Nat, my Aunt had to have the shots just a couple of months ago. She passed out during the first two shots. Granted she had to have the shots directly in and around the bite marks.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends which shots they use, there are several manufacturers of the shots and they are given in various places according to manufacturers guidelines, some still do have the big ones in the stomach.

Also make sure you clean well, there was a study done a while back and animals got sick without bites from the saliva and guano/urine of bats

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Nat, my Aunt had to have the shots just a couple of months ago. She passed out during the first two shots. Granted she had to have the shots directly in and around the bite marks.
My mom had to have rabies shots before. I told her she needed to get the tag and wear it as a necklace. She was attacked by a cat and had to have the shots directly in the wound and she said it was horribly painful!

Glad to hear your bat problems are over! Hopefully you arent rabid!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nat if you starting having a desire to hang from doorframes, that's a bad thing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat..or cling to the side of my mattress

I asked the bat guy directly..and he said around here they just do shots in the arm..so thats good

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your little space invader!

Bats are truly amazing animals! DH's uncle is a research scientist at the University of Ohio in Toledo! He studied the evolution of hearing in bats for over a decade! It is so amazing to hear his stories!

Did you know not all bats use echolocation? Fruit bats have evolved to use their sense of sight to get their food. The size of their ears relative to that of their head and eyes are a good indication of what type of food they eat. The smaller the eyes and bigger the ears, you can bet they eat bugs! The bigger the eyes and the smaller the ears they most likely eat fruit! Some bats have an excellent sense of sight! Others not so good, however, none of them are blind!

Swampwitch - the bat in your post is a fruit bat. It is actually one of the main species that DH uncle studied! They make excellent friends, and have as much personality as our cats do!

They are truly amazing creatures!

Nat- I am glad to poor guy is out of your house and you can get some rest. Too bad he will have to die, but better safe then sorry. Hope you and trout are both okay!