Therapy Cats Can't Be Fed Raw?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, I apologize in advance if my question turns out to be trivial, I don't know very much about cat nutrition or raw feeding.

I was looking through the online Catster articles when I came across one about therapy cats. Not that I thought Charlie could be certified (he doesn't like being handled very much), but I was just curious what therapy cat training entailed. Most of the requirements made sense (cats have to be calm, amenable to handling, get along with other animals, be leash and harness trained), but the one thing that I was confused about was that the article said, "there are less obvious things, like cats who eat a raw protein diet not being eligible to participate." I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of why this might be there case, it just seems really random. :confused:

Here's the article: How to Get Your Cat Certified as a Therapy Cat | Catster

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably something about being trained killers with a taste for blood or being disease carriers harboring bacteria.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably has to do with the fact people with suppressed immune systems or incisions are hyper sensitive to salmonella and other foodborn illnesses that can come from raw meats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It probably has to do with the fact people with suppressed immune systems or incisions are hyper sensitive to salmonella and other foodborn illnesses that can come from raw meats.
I guess that makes sense. But people can only get salmonella for eating infected food?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cross contamination is possible with foodborn illnesses that's why you should wash your hands and utensils after handling raw meat. Also why you should wash any surface used to prepare meat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The concern is that a raw fed cat (or dog) harbors salmonella and such which could infect an elderly or imunocompromised person or a child during a therapy session. It doesn't have to be through a cat bite. Cat saliva can carry nasties and you know kids aren't very good at washing their hands. Very young kids stick their hands in their mouths.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The concern is that a raw fed cat (or dog) harbors salmonella and such which could infect an elderly or imunocompromised person or a child during a therapy session. It doesn't have to be through a cat bite. Cat saliva can carry nasties and you know kids aren't very good at washing their hands. Very young kids stick their hands in their mouths.
Good thinking, I didn't consider that.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. Bacteria shed in feces. (As if, that doesn't sometimes happen with processed foods.) But it is true that raw-fed pets are more likely to be shedding salmonella.

I wasn't sure if that was only state-by-state, or a nationwide policy. Probably nationwide, yes?

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had not thought of this. It makes perfect sense and, I am sure it is probably the fact everywhere. Shoot, I have a cat that would be a perfect Therapy cat and, I have been leash training her thinking that in the coming months she could become a therapy cat. I would hate to take her off raw, just the thought of doing that ........