Theodore has taken a turn for the worst, advice please?

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gums definitely are inflamed.  I know what I would do if it was my mouth--gargle with salt water and swish it around in my mouth, then spit out.  I do not know what to suggest for your kitty.  I hope someone else does...

Sorry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they are. She's going to get a vet visit within the next couple of days anyhow. It might give us more clues as to why Theodore has become sick too.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi elise1030, I have been following your latest thread here and hoping along with everyone else that things were going to turn out okay with the kidneys. Very happy to read that this is the case. Thank goodness.

Many positive vibes for a complete recovery for T.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Theodore is still at the vet. He's on a drip and I'm sure he would have been given antibiotics. He hadn't eaten since he was taken in yesterday morning. We just went to visit to have pats and cuddles and he's looking a lot more alert. He's still really cranky and he does still look ill but he's alert. He started to eat food while there with our encouragement. At first he just licked and then I think he realized he was hungry and continued to eat a fair bit of the food! I'm so happy about this!

Now, as for our other cat, we've always had an issue of her not using her litter to poop in and when we came home, we found bloody mucous type stuff in her poop. It's not diarrhea but there was a small puddle of light colour blood at the end of it. I guess we need to take her to the vet and figure out what's causing that too!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh you poor boy!! You hang in there!!! We all are pulling for you. We. Love you!!

Elise any word on how he's doing? Again he's the first thing I'm thinking about as I drink my first cup of coffee!!!! ((((Hugs))))

old cat lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sub Qs are not insane and they are very safe as all these kind do is rehydrate. I gave one of my special needs cats sub qs everyday for the last 2 years of his life and Im currently giving them to another one of my special kittys who is in stage 2 of kidney failure. Tell your vet to humor you and let you do them. They are very easy to do. I cant imagine how they could possibly hurt him. They make prescription food as well. Is that the s/d you mentioned?

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jodie, no more updates from further today. The Vet was extremely busy and so I trust that everything is ok. He said he would call in the morning(sunday for me) and give us another update. We may be able to take him home then.

Old Cat Lady - He is in the vets now for hydration and I'm sure anything else needed to get him back on his feet. When I was visiting I know they had sodium lactate running through the IV. I will ask him about sub-qs when I talk to him tomorrow. I also ordered a drinkwell for the cats in the hope it will help increase water intake. And yes the s/d is the prescription diet. We bought both the wet and dry food for him.

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well no news is good news!! I hope he gets to come home. His little spirit is probably crushed considering this is his 3 rd time being left there but again he knows he will come home since he's been through this. He knows he always feels better so I truly believe he understands this is where you go when you feel bad. That doesn't mean he likes it just he understands. He knows that he's LOVED!!
Hugs to you and Theodore!!!

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still no news yet and it's 11am sunday. The vet clinic techinically isn't open from 12.30am saturday until 8.30am monday morning but Kris is always working on call and I know he does go in there on sundays to do whatever he needs to do like check on animals etc. I think I'd actually prefer him to stay in there as long as possible to get as healthy as can be before bringing him home. Plus I know this sounds terrible but it gives us a break from worrying about whether he's getting sick all over again and fretting. I miss him like crazy but he's in the best place for now. I'm setting up a quiet area in my bedroom for him so he can go there when he comes home for a little while longer. The kids know they're not allowed to be in there so our bedroom is the cats safehaven.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE AGAIN! Theodore is home, and Mango has been checked out. She is healthy but yes she has the FHV from evidence in her mouth. Theodore is so skinny it makes me want to cry but he is happy enough and is hungry. Now for the uphill battle to get his bladder back under control and get him fat and healthy again.

I asked the vet about L-Lysine and well I got a 10 minute "lecture" on it and how it hasn't been proven clinically to help cats in flare-ups of FHV. He says that a control group of 6 cats is not proof. He might believe a study if it had been a control group over thousands of cats and have several studies over a period of years. So, he's out on that one but he said if it makes me feel better, to go ahead and do it

So all I can do is just keep him calm and quiet and recouperate him over the next few days. I'm a total nervous wreck right now that he's home.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to see things headed in the right direction.   L-Lysine has an avalanche of anecdotal evidence that cannot be ignored.   I have seen it work.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would continue with the Lysine.  I had a FIV positive cat and can tell you that made a huge difference in his life.  I also mix it into the wet I give my cats as it is so cheap.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the wellwishes. So far so good! He's on antibiotics and a half dose of microlone to help with the inflammation.

As for the Lysine, I haven't made up my mind if I will give it or not. I haven't found anything that says its absolutely terrible to give but I haven't found alot that says it makes a difference either. Hmm... I might try it, I just don't want to harm my cats any more than they already are :)

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well of course there is no rush.   I would probably hold off on lysine for 3-4 weeks just so you get to a stable point and see if the lysine improves things from there.  Good luck! 

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theodore is doing well still! Still peeing and no sign of cat flu other than the scruffy skinny body and low energy. He is bright and happy and inquisitive but still requires a fair amount of sleep when he's done being a stickynose lol.
I think I might go ahead and buy some lysine to help keep building his immune system.
Thanks to everyone who has supported me through this terrifying rough patch, though I still a bit nervous about him being ill all over again.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Theodore is doing well still! Still peeing and no sign of cat flu other than the scruffy skinny body and low energy. He is bright and happy and inquisitive but still requires a fair amount of sleep when he's done being a stickynose lol.
I think I might go ahead and buy some lysine to help keep building his immune system.
Thanks to everyone who has supported me through this terrifying rough patch, though I still a bit nervous about him being ill all over again.
Glad to hear that Theodore continues to do well. Regarding building the immune system, omega-3 fatty acids as in fish oil, could help in this respect. Fish Oil is good for a whole bunch of things including but not limited to, healthy skin and coat, powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. There are different oils such as cod liver, krill, and pure wild alaskan fish oil which I use on my boys. The drawback is that some kitties do not take well to fish oils, but if your little guy tolerates this, it could do wonders for him.

http://products.mercola.com/healthypets/krill-oil-for-pets/