The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am wondering if I have an oven heating element on the one side that has gone bad. Seems like the only explanation for such uneven cooking.
It seems likely. I heard a show on NPR the other day where they were talking about making a "map" of the temperatures in various parts of your oven. You get a loaf of white bread and spread the slices around on your oven rack, then turn the oven on. (Should probably do this 2 times - once with it set to "Broil" to check the top element and once with it set to "Bake.") Then you wait until you smell burned bread, turn the oven off, and look inside. The color of the various pieces of bread will tell you where your oven is hottest and coolest.

Margret
LOL, Margret Margret took the words RIGHT OFF OF my fingrtips, susanm9006 susanm9006 ! I've been checking my oven temps like that since my mom taught me the trick some 60 years ago! It certainly lets you know about any serious variations!

Man, my arthritis in my right hip is really kicking tonight. It feels as if something with big teeth and claws is gnawing on it. However, I'd rather have the hip acting up than my hands! I don't type with my hip...although trying to give me an awfully amusing visual image!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man, my arthritis in my right hip is really kicking tonight. It feels as if something with big teeth and claws is gnawing on it.
Sorry about the pain. I never understood pain until I had that sore right leg after my operation. It suddenly went away after 2 years, I have no idea what healed it. Thank God! Two years of pain was unbearable for me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did a ton of online shopping today, and most didn't even end up being on sale, lol. A new car seat and a snow suit as Christmas presents for J, a nice dress, two other Christmas outfits, a birthday outfit, invitations and decorations. And a few new nursing camisoles for me. And a Christmas present for my nephew.

I'm realizing I'm coming up on her last first holiday and my baby's getting close to becoming a toddler and I kind of want to go all out.
I have found the best prices on kid stuff are earlier in November. I make a spreadsheet every year with the kid's wish lists and price compare websites. They bring the prices up so it looks like a great sale for Black Friday or in December; but really it's not that great. Often stuff was cheaper when I added it to the spreadsheet. :rolleyes2:

I was just thinking about snow boots yesterday. They are the kind of thing we don't always wear a lot because we don't always get much snow. But we get enough that it still feels necessary to buy them. I need to have them try last years on to see if they still fit. :nervous:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I know clay litter gets a bad rap because of the dust and not clumping. However, when Gracie has her monthly morning diarrhea, if you wait some time, clay litter completely absorbs it like it never happened.
We have used Cats Pride unscented since Gypsy first came in 5 yrs ago and we are very happy with it. Hardly any dust and clumping is great.
20211127_120043.jpg

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have so much stuff going on with my daughter!

I mentioned the license issue. Well, she plead not guilty and then was told she has an actual hearing and could face jail time. She hired my divorce lawyer--we have to figure out how to pay for that!--and he thinks she has a good case. The BMV only sent her one suspension letter which she should not have gotten because she had insurance the day of the accident, they reinstated her license when she paid the fine, I have a picture of the BMV website stating it was valid after the fine was paid, the BMV did not tell her to get an RS22 (which she should not have needed because she had insurance), and then they revoked her license again because she did not have one. The fact that all she had to do was give them the RS22 for her license to be valid proves that it was still from the first suspension since she did not have to pay a second reinstatement fee. If they reinstated it and then changed their minds without informing her because they messed up, she should have the charge dropped.

A sensor on her ABS went bad as she was driving to work. The roads were slightly icy, and she took a notorious curve about eight miles from our home and six miles from work. She took out three mailboxes, but she thankfully missed the large metal fence pole. Our neighbors pulled her out, and the owner of one of the mailboxes offered to replace all of the mailbox posts because it happens at least a half dozen times a year and he is prepared. (So sweet of him!) Since the mailboxes were no longer a concern and she only has liability insurance, the police officer told her that he would not make a report. The car is drivable and her friend's dad said he will do the work once she gets the parts. She ended up with a moderate concussion three days before her birthday.

Then, when she got home around 11 pm Thursday, her ex-boyfriend was hiding near her apartment. When she got to the door, he pushed himself in and attacked her. She managed to fight him off and call the police. Our police department, which consists of four men and two women, is fantastic. The chief responds to all assualts and domestic violence calls, so he was the one who showed up, along with the one who pulled her over in front of my house concerning the suspended license. They posted someone near her apartment.

She went to work around 10am. By 11, she was on her way home due to testing positive for COVID. (She works in healthcare and has a compromised immune system. We suspected she would get it even with the vaccine.) Needless to say, we have Hobbit for at least the next two weeks.

She did go with is to my mother-in-law's house (she had tested negative on Tuesday), but had worked 16 hours the day before and ended up sleeping in the downstairs living room for most of the visit and had kept at least a 6ft distance from everyone just because she works in healthcare. Only four of us had not had our boosters, but we all got tested anyway. We are all negative. Just to be safe, we are all retesting in a couple of days. The symptoms hit her yesterday evening.

Around 4 am, I got a text from her saying that her ex had just been arrested outside her apartment. He had taken his grandmother's car (with permission), in what we can only assume was the hope that he would not be caught by the police if they ran the plates, He called my daughter and asked if she would bail him out! He even whined that they had put him in medical quarantine because she had exposed him to COVID when he attacked her, and they were waiting to test him.

Then today, I was looking at the calendar and noticed that her two-week quarantine ends on the 10th if she tests negative. Hobbit's 2nd birthday is the 8th.

I told her this was her dark year of the soul and that next year will be better.

Last edited:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man. 2022 has to be better for her! I hope the ex faces some real consequences! Are you planning a little celebration for Hobbit? Maybe that will help give her something to look forward to while she's stuck home.
Me, too! She was crying about how all these bad things keep happening to her. My poor sweetheart!

I hope he does, too. She just found out that he is on probation for domestic violence with one of his other ex-girlfriends.

If she is negative by the 10th, we will have something small that weekend around her work schedule. I told her that he does not know how to read a calendar so it will be nothing to him if we are late celebrating.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the ex faces some real consequences!
Considering that he was already on probation for domestic violence, he should.

I saw a thing online the other day: A woman suffering domestic violence called 911 and ordered a pizza. The operator told her that this was not the place to order pizza, but she just kept on placing her order. Fortunately, the operator was quick on the uptake, so he asked her a bunch of yes/no questions about her situation and then sent the cops. The genius part of this technique (beyond the genius of the operator who realized what it was really about) is that one does have to give one's address when ordering a pizza for delivery, so nothing she said could make her abuser suspicious.

Margret

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be 23 next Wednesday. I'm wondering if I'll even have time to celebrate with the assignments I have to finished. I wanted to get my nails done at least. And maybe a chocolate cake as per tradition.
happy birthday :biggrin: go for 2 cakes snack food while doing your homework

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just came back from making Christmas cookies with my son and his gf. Even though he is fifty plus he wanted some of his childhood favorites and the girlfriend is not that great of a baker . They had tried baking them last year with not so great results and now I understand why. Had to give some lessons on the importance of carefully measuring flour and not to try using a liquid measuring cup. Plus she wasn’t measuring correctly with her teaspoon set as well ( she thought she was only supposed to partially fill each spoon instead of all the way to the top). It was a fun morning though and I added a set of dry measuring cups to her Christmas gift list.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:when you live with a person you get to see/hear some bizarre things at times when they are sleeping or half asleep:lol: walked into bedroom this morning to use bathroom and gf began demanding that i glue my hands together hehe so i started talking to her after i figured out she was sleeping still:rolleyes:soon as i said i wanna new tarantula for x-mas she woke up with a solid not happening:lol:

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me, too! She was crying about how all these bad things keep happening to her. My poor sweetheart!

I hope he does, too. She just found out that he is on probation for domestic violence with one of his other ex-girlfriends.

If she is negative by the 10th, we will have something small that weekend around her work schedule. I told her that he does not know how to read a calendar so it will be nothing to him if we are late celebrating.
I hope her luck turns around soon! :hugs:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well if that doesn't prove he's a danger... ugh. I'm so sorry she has to deal with this!
:flail:when you live with a person you get to see/hear some bizarre things at times when they are sleeping or half asleep:lol: walked into bedroom this morning to use bathroom and gf began demanding that i glue my hands together hehe so i started talking to her after i figured out she was sleeping still:rolleyes:soon as i said i wanna new tarantula for x-mas she woke up with a solid not happening:lol:
I used to be able to hear my stepbrother across the hall. The best was when he let out this laugh that can only be described as a deep chuckle and said "mmm.... Jumanji." :lol:

But the best was one of my closest friends through high school and college. She'd have serious conversations with you and not remember a thing. One night "we" made plans to go to the dollar store. :lol: She did this kind of thing every single time we ever had a sleepover; so I doubt she's stopped as an adult. :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sister used to sleepwalk. With her eyes open. We were staying at my grandmother's house many years ago, She and I shared the spare bedroom. I was awake one night when she got up and started walking out of the room. I asked her if she was OK. She just stared ahead and kept walking. She came back soon after and got back into bed. The next morning I asked her about the night before. She insisted that she never got up and I must be crazy. Well, that's been well known for many a year but she did get up and walk through the room with her eyes open. She did it a few times after that too and never believed me. This was in the late 70's. No camera phones to take video with. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.