The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally got DD online by connecting the laptop directly to the router with a cable. (That's really convenient strung across the room.) Then we went off to redeem my free coffee reward at Dunkin!

So then she sat there pouting because her math was hard and I don't get it either. (Watching someone teach math might as well be in Greek to me...) I was googling for videos and it did not help much. :lol: :cringe: Fortunately with her math program we can back up to ANY grade for review. I think going back helped and she seems less pouty at the moment... I won't poke to ask yet...

The moral of my story: DON'T TAKE THE WINDOWS 11 UPDATE! :crash:

Also I don't really care what the sum of all odd numbers between 1 and 100 is. I can't recall the last time not knowing that prevented me from adulting. ;)
I see the little reminder on my laptop for the update. I will not be clicking on it. :headshake:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Scariest thing my youngest did (other than turning blue at 7 days old and had to be flown to Washington DC for surgery) was to pull down an armoire that nearly squished him. For some reason, there was a Hot Wheel on top of the armoire. Son saw it and pulled out a drawer to climb up to get it. Needless to say, the armoire tipped and the huge TV that was on top of it went flying onto the bed and onto the floor. Luckily for my son, he was able to fall between the bed and armoire so he was completely safe.

I heard the crash and went running. Saw the armoire and TV and thought the worst. Then he came crawling out. I yelled at him and then hugged him profusely.
My son did the same thing with his dessert when he was 3 or 4. Used drawers to climb up it and then it tipped backwards. Fortunately it landed on his bed and there was enough room for him between the bed and the floor. Otherwise he could have died like so many other children have done in similar accidents.

He also nearly died at six months when he stopped breathing after a seizure. Fortunately my neighbor was a pediatric nurse supervisor and she did cpr while I called the ambulance.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got curious and just did it in my phone's calculator and got 2,500.
I finally found a formula: S = 50/2(1+99)

I bookmarked the website with that explanation because it just made more sense than what I found earlier.

Today was just off I guess. I was working late with DS so I started following a help guide online to figure out the connection issues with DH/DD’s laptop. I was nervous following it but somewhere in there it connected! …. And then MY laptop and phone lost connection!! I broke out in a sweat about that time and DH cane home. I ended up just having to reset the router… but man that did me in! :thud: I have never called my brother in law in a panic but today could have been the day. Dinner ended up being chicken with toast! I told DH “This is why computer people make good money!!”

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my 2nd cataract surgery yesterday. I had the first one last Tuesday. It went well and my vision has really improved. Everything is so bright and I can now read small print. He said I might need glasses down the road for distance. But since I don't drive anymore I'm am not going to get them unless I have to.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sick. Woke up feeling like I got white girl wasted last night. I didn't. Just water. Maybe someone spiked my water.

I'm freezing and John says it's hot in here.

I'm wondering if we're gonna survive Aedan's first year of preschool. He keeps bringing home icky bugs.

His second week, he brought hand, foot, and mouth home. His friend's mom called me and said he had it. A week later, Aedan had red splotches on his feet. They were gone by morning. I called the pediatrician and she said it probably wasn't hand, foot, and mouth - that it was probably just skin irritation. So we sent him to school.

The next day, John was covered in blisters. He could barely walk for days. His hands are still peeling. Aedan's never got worse and Allie and I didn't catch it, but poor John.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my 2nd cataract surgery yesterday. I had the first one last Tuesday. It went well and my vision has really improved. Everything is so bright and I can now read small print. He said I might need glasses down the road for distance. But since I don't drive anymore I'm am not going to get them unless I have to.
Wow, that’s great. It took me a couple weeks to get clear vision and about a month to heal. Good to have it over with, isnt it?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got curious and just did it in my phone's calculator and got 2,500.
I spent one year teaching maths - perhaps the most frustrating job I ever had. Some kids like it, understand it and don't really need teaching. Just give them a push in the right direction and they are off: solving quadratic equations, proving theorems, calculating angles and working out the formula for adding all odd numbers from 1 to 100 :lol:. Others just don't get it at all - forget calculus; they can multiply a whole number by 2 and still get an odd number.
But, most people never need the maths they learnt at school. 50 years later, I certainly don't need (or remember) 99% of what I was taught and teaching at school and university. Unfortunately, future generations of engineers, computer programmers, architects and even biologists, to name but a few, still need to have been taught the basics in order to appreciate the more advanced and complicated maths.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is Geoffrey's official "Gotcha Day".... Hooray!! :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::clap2::clap2:
Three Years ago, he came home to me!!!

For some strange reason, I got him a bed... It arrived this morning. He is afraid of it! A nice covered bed, so he can be cozy for the winter... nope, no way... He still prefers under my bed or under my bedspread... darn cat......geesh....

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that’s great. It took me a couple weeks to get clear vision and about a month to heal. Good to have it over with, isnt it?
Yes, it is good to have it over with. My doctor was amazed at how good my right eye turned out. My left eye is still a little blury but the double vision seems to gone. I have to put eye drops in my eyes for about another 7 days and wear the plastic eye patch for another 5 nights. Now I have to see a surgeon
about my hernia. That has me worried.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Others just don't get it at all - forget calculus; they can multiply a whole number by 2 and still get an odd number.
DD is usually much more of a natural at math. I'm more this way so I really appreciate it. :lol: She and my stepdad will doodle math problems out when we go out to eat together. It wasn't until I was in college that I figured out how to learn math. I think sometimes in school you just have to learn stupid stuff. :lol:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is Geoffrey's official "Gotcha Day".... Hooray!! :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::clap2::clap2:

For some strange reason, I got him a bed... It arrived this morning. He is afraid of it! A nice covered bed, so he can be cozy for the winter... nope, no way... He still prefers under my bed or under my bedspread... darn cat......geesh....
At least it's not like my cats-they loved their bed at first, then decided they'd rather sleep literally anywhere else :rolleyes3:

I use it as their toybox now.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise

It could just be the unfamiliar smell of the new item. Hopefully when it smells more like home he will be less afraid of it and willing to try it out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I'm sorry to hear about your sister.
Thank you. I never knew her, she died the day I was due. I was 12 days late. My mother never really got over it. As for me, I've always wondered if it might have been better, having her there, or if being in her shadow would have squashed me entirely. I'm not at all sure which it would have been.

I spent one year teaching maths - perhaps the most frustrating job I ever had.
Oh, dear. Forget mathematics. I have issues with arithmetic. Actually, all my issues stem from the fact that I could never manage to memorize the 7s or 8s multiplication tables. I developed ways to cheat. Most of the time, I could just reverse (7x6 became 6x7, for instance) but when it came to 7x7, I'd resort to 6x7+7. 8x8 became 9x8-8. But 7x8 just had me banging my head against a wall. Given that, I was an excellent auditor, because I knew all the weird little tricks for finding errors. That never threw me at all. If an error was divisible by 9, I'd look for two transposed numbers. If divisible by 3, it was probably an 8 read as a 5, or the inverse. Or a 4 as a 7 or inverse), If divisible by 5, look for a 3/8 error. THAT stuff, I found fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.