The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, we are so happy and excited (and exhausted!). I love her hair, it was totally worth all that heartburn.

And her blood sugar was completely normal, so my GD didn’t affect her which I am so happy for!

I’m feeling pretty good, actually. Haven’t noticed too much of a hormone drop so I might have lucked out a little there.

The induction went super quick actually, I must have been pretty ready. Sunday night they gave me Cytotec, the first quarter dose actually kicked off labor. They added in pitocin at a very low level and about 21 hours later she was here. With the epidural the whole thing was pretty manageable, although pushing was almost 4 hours and that was the hardest thing I think I’ve ever done. So worth it though.
I'm glad you're doing well and that everything went smoothly! :heartshape:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at these beautiful dark haired babies I am totally jealous. I am very dark haired and deep olive complexioned so I just expected I would have a dark haired baby. Instead I got the other side Norwegian colorless baby, nearly bald with hair so light you couldn’t see eyelashes or eyebrows. Fifty years later and it still doesn’t feel right.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at these beautiful dark haired babies I am totally jealous. I am very dark haired and deep olive complexioned so I just expected I would have a dark haired baby. Instead I got the other side Norwegian colorless baby, nearly bald with hair so light you couldn’t see eyelashes or eyebrows. Fifty years later and it still doesn’t feel right.
My oldest was like that. Toehead up until he was in his mid to late teens. Then his hair darkened up a bit. He looked like he was completely bald until he was almost 3 years old. I just let his hair grow so that people could see he had some. Youngest was the dark haired kid and came out needing a haircut. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has brown eyes (mine are green), so I just assumed any children we had would be dark haired and eyed. J still has blue/gray eyes and her hair has lightened to a light brown. Though from pictures I've seen it's now about the same color as my husband's as a small child, so that's less surprising than the eyes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents both have dark hair. My mom has brown eyes and my dad has green eyes. I was born with a lot of dark hair, and it's always been nearly black. Also dark brown eyes. The next kid had extremely blonde hair and blue eyes. The youngest had reddish hair (I don't think he's genetically redhead though) and light brown eyes. Having 3 kids with 3 different hair colors was a huge novelty to the Japanese people we met, they thought it was amazing.

Now everyone's hair is all about the same color, oh well.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We always joked our child would be blonde - we felt like all children in Colorado seemed blonde even with dark haired parents. But we are both brown hair and brown eyed so it made more sense this way.

Apparently we both were born with a lot of hair as well.

Attachments

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations KarenKat KarenKat !! I love all her hair!!

DD had a full head. The nurses put a little purple yarn bow in it at the hospital. :flail: It didn't stand up much until she was a few weeks older. Maybe because she was early? By her first Christmas she was blond and random strangers would stop me to tell me she looked like Cindy Lou Who. :lol: Her hair is much darker now but not as dark as mine. It can still look blonder in the sun too. Both my parents were blond blond as little kids but got as dark as mine in their school years. For a while when she was little it was amusing because she had none of our hair coloring. (Don't be jealous of my photo editing y'all... I had forgotten the hospital had their name all over the old gowns. The new ones I had with DS were specific to the maternity floors and a "pretty" pink.)
Hairy Baby 1.jpg Hairy Baby 4.jpg

Here's DS; much less hairy and he eventually had baby pattern baldness for a little bit. His went lighter for a little bit as a toddler but more of a dark caramel color before becoming about my shade of golden brown. So now both kids look like me. Sorry DH! :biggrin:

Hairy Baby 3.jpg Hairy Baby 5.jpg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellllll. . .I also know a girl who was born with a full head of black hair, then it fell out and grew back blonde :D. So who knows.
My niece is 1/4 Chinese but looked 100% at birth. She was a redhead at 1 and now more like blond with a hint of strawberry. Each of the siblings in DH's family had kids with different color hair; but all the siblings all have the variations of the same color. SIL 1 got all blonds. SIL 2 got all redheads. We got brunettes. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to being bald and terribly skinny, my son had a serious cone head and a swollen face from forceps . Before they brought him back to me the nurse very gently told me that he wouldn’t always look that way. My first reaction is there had to be something seriously wrong with this child. And I wasn’t the only one that felt that way. In those days babies stayed in the nursery that had the rows of bassinets lined up by a big glass window. I was there looking when the woman next to me nudged her husband and pointing to Cory whispered “look at that one, isn’t that too bad”. Fortunately cuteness set in within a couple months when the head went down and he gained a few pounds.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J's hair got pretty thin up top there for a while, but it's filled in. See Mother's Day vs today, and you can see the color change, too. I think it slowly fell out and grew in lighter.
FB_IMG_1634677572172~2.jpg
1019211609b_HDR.jpg

In other news, I have decided that rubysmama rubysmama would hate my neighborhood, but game misconduct game misconduct would love it, because a lot of people seem to be decorating with oversized fake spiders for Halloween.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kids now have 2 Trunk-or-Treat options this year. My moms new church and ours. We never really used to do costumes because we don’t focus on the Halloween aspect. And our old church always had a bunch of bouncy houses and obstacle courses and kids would always struggle to play in costumes. So at most they did like superhero capes with masks. (Which I held most of the night…)

So the new church has a handmade costume contest. And I am so completely uninspired. I googled for ideas and it still looked like too much work. :paperbag:

First DH told me to wrap them in foil and I told him it might rip on a bouncy house.

His next idea? Wrap them in Saran Wrap and say they are “Leftovers.” :flail:
J's hair got pretty thin up top there for a while,
DD rubbed off all the side and back. The new hair came in blonde but she still had a brown top and a brown rat tail! I trimmed that off eventually. :lol2: Fortunately it didn’t take too long before the rest turned blond and its not super obvious in
:crazy:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the new church has a handmade costume contest. And I am so completely uninspired. I googled for ideas and it still looked like too much work. :paperbag:

First DH told me to wrap them in foil and I told him it might rip on a bouncy house.

His next idea? Wrap them in Saran Wrap and say they are “Leftovers.” :flail:
Dress one in red and one in yellow and have them go as ketchup and mustard!

DD rubbed off all the side and back. The new hair came in blonde but she still had a brown top and a brown rat tail! I trimmed that off eventually. :lol2: Fortunately it didn’t take too long before the rest turned blond and its not super obvious in
Lol, J had a huge bald spot in the back for the longest time. It took forever to grow in, and since the hair near the nape of her neck was still really dark, it was really obvious.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is a full moon isn’t it? My mother swore it affected the kids that boarded at the school she taught at when I was a kid.
It is, indeed. Oddly enough, when I worked at the mental hospital, I noticed that those who tended towards manic behavior were, as expected, in full cry during the full moon, but those who tended towards depression actually got worse during the dark of the moon. I guess that, out of a hospital setting where such things are actively watched for, it just isn't noticed.

Meet Isabelle Ripley, 7lb2oz and 19.75 in long
Well done! OH, VERY WELL DONE!

LOL, I used to have so much fun with my boys' costumes. My ex was 6'6" tall, so one year I painted a refrigerator box in a brick print and the boys were dressed as bats. They were bats and a belfry! Then one year the boys were Jaws 1 and Jaws 2, and the year after that, the younger one was a cockroach, and the older was a can of Raid. That may have been the ones that they enjoyed most. The can of Raid chased the roach all over the neighborhood!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, I crawled into bed while husband was finishing up shaving. He was commenting on how blue his eyes were. He said, "I find it strange that you are Irish and have brown eyes." I sat up in bed and said, "Ummm... my eyes are green." Then he said, "Ok, I meant hazel." I said, " Nope, my eyes have never been brown. They are always green. So after 24 years, are you telling me that you've never looked at my eyes before??" He laughed and said, "I look at your boobs. Not your eyes." :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.