The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Youngest had a ROTC event at the school today. He and 3 other cadets were supposed to help run the concession stand for the Battle of the Marching Bands.

My son was the only one who showed up. That annoys me to no end. I am big on commitments and doing what you say you are going to do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
seen two different labradors yesterday and they were so much smaller fully grown (i asked their owners if they were) than my old yellow lab was in height and body size did the breed shrink?
It depends on the lines. Field lines tend to be smaller and slimmer, so they don't overheat while running around in the grass, and you don't put your back out trying to get them in the boat. Show lines are big and THICK.

But also, the breed standard is (and always has been) 55-80 pounds, and I think for a while the pet breeders were breeding for a much larger dog, maybe people preferred larger dogs at that point. I keep hearing from people who say their Lab they had when they were a kid was something like 150 pounds, and, dude, that was no Lab, that was a Newfie! Lol. And now most people tend to prefer smaller dogs, it seems.

My Lab was from hunting lines and weighed 55 pounds, 60 at a certain age when she got a bit matronly.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the lines. Field lines tend to be smaller and slimmer, so they don't overheat while running around in the grass, and you don't put your back out trying to get them in the boat. Show lines are big and THICK.

But also, the breed standard is (and always has been) 55-80 pounds, and I think for a while the pet breeders were breeding for a much larger dog, maybe people preferred larger dogs at that point. I keep hearing from people who say their Lab they had when they were a kid was something like 150 pounds, and, dude, that was no Lab, that was a Newfie! Lol. And now most people tend to prefer smaller dogs, it seems.

My Lab was from hunting lines and weighed 55 pounds, 60 at a certain age when she got a bit matronly.
:)thanks my lab was a good 120 pounds or so

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably she means a physical device that sprung up when someone opened the box. I've seen a lot of different versions. Informed Delivery just tells you what's coming; it doesn't tell you when it gets delivered.
Yes, that's what I meant. My neighber had problems with her legs
and didn't want to keep making unnecesary trips to her mailbox.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The power of suggestion works on cats... at least Boone and Gracie. I went into my room to check the litter boxes one last time before getting ready for bed. Neither cat had gone #2 all day. There was still no #2 when I checked.

By this time, Boone and Gracie came into the room to see why I was digging in their boxes. I asked each of them why they hadn't gone poop today. I went into the bathroom to grab something and Boone hopped into one of the litter boxes.

When he was done, I checked and it was just pee. He then went over to the other box and squatted. I looked and he went poop! :poop: And while Boone was in the box, Gracie hopped into the other one but just went pee. But when Boone got out, Gracie went over to that box and went poop!! :poop:

Just call me Kelly the Cat Whisperer.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am finally calm enough to speak about this.

I know I have mentioned Hobbit's other side of his "family" before and how much stress they give us. The last time I mentioned them, the "grandma" (I will call her Carol.) had texted my daughter suggesting that she sign custody of him over to her, even though in the past 21 months of his life she has probably spent less than a total of 200 hours with him, and that is being generous. Well, she contacted my daughter a couple of weeks ago and asked if she could have Hobbit on the 10th and 11th, She guilted my daughter into letting her take him.

My daughter actually had the 11th off, so she was home alone and depressed. She called me and asked if we could have dinner together. While we were having dinner, several things happened with Hobbit. Carol took him to two places my daughter had told her not to and sent a picture of him in a front-facing car seat. (He is a big boy, but he is still under 2 and should not be front-facing.) My daughter had words with her. Then she had the gall to ask my daughter if she could take him to a bar--YES, A BAR!--so she could watch the Brown's game. (The Brown's played on Sunday. She really wanted to go see a cover band.) She said, "There's a sand pit where they play volleyball. He can play in it." I am dead serious. My daughter said, "I can't believe I have to say this but don't take my toddler to a bar." Carol then tried to make an argument for the "nice sandpit."Carol agreed not to take him, but she was pretty upset, My daughter and I were suspicious of her behavior, so we drove an hour and a half up to the bar. I drove around the parking lot whilemy daughter went to the patio.

We are 99% sure she took him at some point because the rest of their family was there, including Hobbit's father who he had not seen since June prior to this. They all acted weird. Then, Hobbit had sand in his shoes when he came home. She said it was from the park,

When Carol finally answered the phone, she said that Hobbit was going to bed. We told her we would be picking him up first thing in the morning.

Because my daughter had to work, I had to pick him up. Things did not go well for Carol. She said that Hobbit needs his family and that my daughter should not use him as a weapon. (She does not. They just back out of seeing him, ask to take him to bars, and go months without calling. The last time his father asked to see him was around Christmas. The other two times he has seen him since then, Carol and her one daughter took him without asking my daughter.) I said, "He has plenty of family. And just because someone is family does not mean you need them in your life.[My daughter] has not even met my parents. She is not missing anything." Then she started in about how my daughter needs to stop treating Hobbit like a weapon and that I did not have to be so mean about things. I said, "Carol, you have not seen me be mean, so you should stop right there before you walk away from this crying and hating yourself." She started to talk again, so I said, "Trust me. You are going to want to walk back to your car, get [Hobbit], and bring him to me without saying one more word to me. If you open your mouth again, you will see just how mean I can be. This is for the best." (I have a resting mean face. I oncemhad a class of college students tell me that I looked like I wanted to stab them multiple times. I was in a good mood that day. You can imagine how I must look when I am actually angry.)

At least she made the right choice. Had I known he had sand in his shoes, I would have not been as nice as I was. She did call my daughter and ask what my problem was. She said, "I'm 100% certain that her problem is you."

I advised my daughter to not let him go back until/unless they get a court order. I know that I sound like a horrible person, but it really is for Hobbit's mental and physical safety. I have not told you all even a fraction of what has happened or what they have said. I just hope she listens to me and does not cave to their guilt trips.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg! Definitely get a court order!!! I'm livid just reading that. Car seat safety is a huge one for me, and a BAR?????

I hope your daughter doesn't cave! Hobbit's father has the right to see him, but that doesn't extend to grandparents, especially ones that won't respect your daughter's authority as mom and put him in unsafe situations.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont watch much sports so I didn’t realize they stopped showing games on home tvs. :hmmm: I hope you guys are documenting everything in case she tries to get a court order. Do you think she might have been trying to “force” her son to be active in Hobbit’s life? Not that it even matters if her intentions were good. She completely disrespects your DD and his safety and well-being. And people like that don’t change.:headshake:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband, youngest, and I watched "All's Quiet On The Western Front" last night and Gracie sat on my lap for almost the entire movie watching it with us....very intently too. If she wasn't on my lap, she was on the coffee table watching it. Who knew Gracie was into war movie. Maybe she was just trying to get some ideas for her plans of world denomination. :lol:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg! Definitely get a court order!!! I'm livid just reading that. Car seat safety is a huge one for me, and a BAR?????

I hope your daughter doesn't cave! Hobbit's father has the right to see him, but that doesn't extend to grandparents, especially ones that won't respect your daughter's authority as mom and put him in unsafe situations.
They make it seem as if she keeps Hobbit from them when it is really just that they rarely want to see him and go months without wanting to see him or even calling/texting to check on him. She has a CPO against Hobbit's father (I will call him Jay) because he beat her up and then threatened to "shoot up" her apartment with her and Hobbit in it. He is only permitted to contact her if it has to do with Hobbit. For the first year of Hobbit's life, she would call/text Jay asking him if he wanted to see Hobbit. The 1 time out of 100 that he actually took Hobbit, he has never taken him on his own. He has always gone to his sister's house or his mother's. (His sister has seen Hobbit the most out of any of them, but Jay has only gone to see him there a couple of times.)Three-fourths of the time that any of them has actually taken Hobbit, they have called her and told her she needed to come and get him. Even with all of that, Jay has constantly threatened to take Hobbit from her and run off. One minute they are calling her and telling her she has to get him because he is "too much" for them. The next, they are sending texts saying they are not returning him and she will have to go through the court to get him. (She has sole custody.)The worst of it happened last Christmas when, after telling her that she had to get Hobbit, they stopped replying to her texts and phone calls for three hours. The last thing she got was a text from Jay saying, "Good luck getting him back." (Jay does not want him. He only meant to scare her.) She got the police involved.

**Trigger Warning** At one point last summer, Jay pretended to hang himself in the backyard of his sister's house because my daughter would not drop the CPO. His brother committed suicide four years ago, so it was even more heinous of a manipulation tactic than it first appears.

After the Christmas incident, she decided to just stop being the one asking Jay if he wanted to see Hobbit. Not only was she terrified they were actually going to take Hobbit, but it brought up memories of when my ex-husband, her father, kidnapped her for eight months during our divorce proceedings. She has told Jay that if he wants to see Hobbit, he needs to take her to court for visitation. She knows that if he does he will likely get supervised visitation.

She was angry that Carol took Hobbit to see Jay because he has not asked to see Hobbit since Christmas. Even then, I think it was his sister who asked because it was at her house. She is fine with Jay seeing Hobbit, but he has to be the one to ask and she would prefer that it was court supervised.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he needs to take her to court for visitation. She knows that if he does he will likely get supervised visitation.
This is what I was thinking, maybe even for the grandparents. They can't do a ton of damage with a court supervisor right there. And that's easier to get than trying to keep them from having no contact, and makes your side look reasonable in court. Plus it's annoying enough that they probably won't bother.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a fairly rough weekend - our new dog Casey had severe diarrhea starting Friday night and we were taking her out every hour to try and avoid accidents. Husband fell asleep Sat night by accident and she pooped in her crate and was a complete mess. Husband freaked out and kept saying we would have to give her back to the breeder since it will be too much with a baby soon. Very little sleep that night for either of us. He takes pet guardianship very seriously so I knew he was just spent.

Calmer times yesterday at least, I found a vet that could squeeze us in and they are doing a fecal test. In the meantime we got some Hills canned food to keep her hydrated and antibiotics which seemed to really do the trick - she perked up and has way more energy yesterday and today and is up to her old puppy shenanigans. Still waiting to see if her poop is better since she hasn’t gone since yesterday. I think the husband is more ok with the whole thing after a good night’s sleep!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sleep deprivation will have you saying some crazy things you wouldn't normally. I bet her "bowels and consanants" ( :crazy: family joke...sorry...not sorry...) are empty after everything. That seems to be how it works for any of us after stomach viruses have hit too. Hopefully thats all over and she'll be just 100% normal puppy shenanigans now. :hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.