The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When i lost my job in 2007 I was required to apply for a certain number of positions per week to collect my unemployment. I got a job and worked one day before I found out it was not what I applied for! I had to explain to unemployment why I couldn’t keep that job. I was still dealing with the after effects of a back injury back then and fetching motorcycle parts from a huge warehouse is not clerical work. 🤪 I was supremely uncomfortable there too. Fortunately I was hired at another place a few weeks later and that job was a MUCH better fit even though it was new to me in a lot of ways.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
When i lost my job in 2007 I was required to apply for a certain number of positions per week to collect my unemployment. I got a job and worked one day before I found out it was not what I applied for! I had to explain to unemployment why I couldn’t keep that job. I was still dealing with the after effects of a back injury back then and fetching motorcycle parts from a huge warehouse is not clerical work. 🤪 I was supremely uncomfortable there too. Fortunately I was hired at another place a few weeks later and that job was a MUCH better fit even though it was new to me in a lot of ways.
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles well that is different then the generation of today where they only want the money but dont want to work for it

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles well that is different then the generation of today where they only want the money but dont want to work for it
Lol, "generation of today", I wouldn't have guessed you were that old :tongue: . While there are of course always some people who don't want to work (as there always has been), don't confuse that for demands for humane working conditions as so many do. Employers have been allowed to get away with far too much for far too long, it's about time they got their comeuppance.

strider rose

Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, "generation of today", I wouldn't have guessed you were that old :tongue: . While there are of course always some people who don't want to work (as there always has been), don't confuse that for demands for humane working conditions as so many do. Employers have been allowed to get away with far too much for far too long, it's about time they got their comeuppance.
W Willowy i am 48 years old and have worked for everything i got ... i was raised to believe that you work for what you want and not beg for it

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy i am 48 years old and have worked for everything i got ... i was raised to believe that you work for what you want and not beg for it
Ah, I thought you were younger for some reason, sorry :).

Not knowing the particulars, I'm just saying that many older people seem to think that employees should have to beg their employers for basic human decency, and get mad about younger people not putting up with abuse. So just saying that I hope the situation you're complaining about is actually a case of someone not wanting to work, and not one of those situations.

strider rose

Top Cat
Purraise

Not knowing the particulars, I'm just saying that many older people seem to think that employees should have to beg their employers for basic human decency, and get mad about younger people not putting up with abuse. So just saying that I hope the situation you're complaining about is actually a case of someone not wanting to work, and not one of those situations.
W Willowy i was referring to my husband's co-workers .. they are very lazy and he ends up having to do everything

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that’s everywhere. Some people get that way because they used to be the one who did everything. My bestie’s husband was passed over for promotions because they said productivity would go down without him! He was doing 80% of the work. Literally. Instead they lost him to another company with a 3x raise!! It was amazing.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I mean, one of the reasons we decided I'd stay at home and not work for a few years was because factoring in day care costs and gas, what I was making in a Catholic school wasn't worth it. I'd get more in a public school, but add in the pandemic, and we're even happier with the decision. I'll rejoin the work force once kids are in school.

Wages haven't kept up with cost of living, and while I did my work, I put in way more effort when I felt appreciated. Workplace culture affects a lot.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am disabled and have to be within a good view of a bathroom now ... i would like to work but not sure that i can with crohns disease ??
It would depend on what kind of work you want to do. Teaching where you can't just leave your students, probably not. But working in an office or call center, or a remote position which are more common these days, or even something slow and low key where you can use the bathroom as needed like shelving books at the library should be doable with a few accommodations.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my co-workers has Crohn's. . .a lot depends on how well it's managed with meds, I'm sure.

Large employers are required to make accommodations for disabilities/health issues. My co-worker's legal accommodation is "don't be a jerk about his bathroom use", which ought to be basic human decency but I guess that's too much to expect from American employers unless they're being legally forced :/.
I mean, one of the reasons we decided I'd stay at home and not work for a few years was because factoring in day care costs and gas, what I was making in a Catholic school wasn't worth it.
Once you have more than one kid, there's honestly no point unless you're making $120,000+, even then it would depend where you live, etc. Daycare costs are wild. My cousin just had her second, and I'm pretty sure she'll end up not going back to work (she won't say that, though, because she's on paid maternity leave and doesn't want to jeopardize that).

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother and I both have a background working with non-profits that specialize in helping people with disabilities find and maintain employment. It's definitley a challenge sometimes. Like one large employer (who will remain nameless) instituted a policy that you must CALL a certain automated number if you needed to miss work. Prior to this a hearing impaired person had been allowed to text his supervisor. The TTY/relay system wasn't an option at all with this system for some reason. (I never heard specifically why.) They tried to discipline this employee for failing to follow policy. Um no. The big company found out they had to accomodate their employee. From my experience; people often don't think what it's like for others unless they have the challenge themelves. :sigh:

Our office contracted with the state to provide these services so I would assume other states have them as well. When I left our state was pushing the counselors from their department to start doing that sort of work themselves. I don't know how well that worked because what office person had time to go make contacts with dozens and dozens of potential employers? My mother often put +300 miles on her car in a week. ;)
I mean, one of the reasons we decided I'd stay at home and not work for a few years was because factoring in day care costs and gas, what I was making in a Catholic school wasn't worth it. I'd get more in a public school, but add in the pandemic, and we're even happier with the decision. I'll rejoin the work force once kids are in school.

Wages haven't kept up with cost of living, and while I did my work, I put in way more effort when I felt appreciated. Workplace culture affects a lot.
Daycare would have cost all but $20 of my paycheck. Literally. With one kid!
One of my co-workers has Crohn's. . .a lot depends on how well it's managed with meds, I'm sure.
My friend is a respritory therapist at the local hospital and has chrons. She's been hospitalized a few times but hasn't had to stop working. Her father also had it and had periods where he was hospitalized frequently but eventually he went into a remission they said. It really depends on the person.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most employers, large and small, must follow ADA guidelines regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities and for the most part they do attempt to accommodate.
If they have fewer than 15 employees they don't have to follow the ADA or anti-discrimination laws. . .it's considered too much of a burden or some such, idk.

I have a friend with epilepsy who desperately wants to work, because she's bored to death staying at home (no kids), but no employers are willing to accomodate her need for a flexible schedule and a lot of sick days, even a lot of volunteer opportunities get mad about her calling out on short notice (she doesn't know if she's having a bad day until she wakes up that morning!). Which is understandable, sure, but it's a shame there isn't someone out there who could deal with it. She once worked for a family friend's daycare and loved it, but nobody who isn't family or a close friend is willing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If they have fewer than 15 employees they don't have to follow the ADA or anti-discrimination laws. . .it's considered too much of a burden or some such, idk.

I have a friend with epilepsy who desperately wants to work, because she's bored to death staying at home (no kids), but no employers are willing to accomodate her need for a flexible schedule and a lot of sick days, even a lot of volunteer opportunites get mad about her not being able to schedule too far in advance. Which is understandable, sure, but it's a shame there isn't someone out there who could deal with it. She once worked for a family friend's daycare and loved it, but nobody who isn't family or a close friend is willing.
True, very small employers are exempt but that still leave a huge percentage of employers that must accommodate.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Changing the subject utterly...THIS is what is on my mind. Mathematics is the language of the universe. Music is the purest expression of mathematics. Everything that exists in the universe is made up of atoms. So, all of the atoms in a particular thing have consented to dance the same dance together. It is a structured dance, more a Pavane, never free form, but it is a dance. If we could teach ourselves to hear the music of the universe, and to observe those dances, we could move gently across another thing's "dance floor" without disturbing the "dancers," moving easily through "solid" objects.

And this is why some people think I should not be allowed out alone, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.