The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now used and new car prices are just insane, so you will end up paying much more than you expect for a used one and might not be able to get a new one for months. So given that it is probably best to spend the money to repair the one you have.
Yeah, my car needed yet another repair recently and we just thought about replacing it with a mid sized car (it's a compact) to have a bit more room with the car seat, but seeing how inflated car prices are, we decided to just get it fixed again.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my car needed yet another repair recently and we just thought about replacing it with a mid sized car (it's a compact) to have a bit more room with the car seat, but seeing how inflated car prices are, we decided to just get it fixed again.
My car is three years old and it’s value today is more than I paid for it new in 2018!

thatphysicsteacher

Just another “catty” teacher
Young Cat
Purraise
My car is three years old and it’s value today is more than I paid for it new in 2018!
Sorry to butt in on your convo! But that’s so true! I got into a really bad car accident last week (everyone involved is okay) the person who hit me totaled my car, the insurance company paid me over double what I paid 14 months ago for the car, it’s crazy, every vehicle is going like hot cakes!!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im excited about starting my weight loss journey :yess:
Good luck! When I wanted to lose weight about five years back, the first thing I did was make small sustainable changes I knew I could keep (like two spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee rather than three, or buying whole wheat bread instead of white), once I saw those start to make a difference it helped me make more changes.

Guys, this onesie speaks to the deepest part of my soul.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck! When I wanted to lose weight about five years back, the first thing I did was make small sustainable changes I knew I could keep (like two spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee rather than three, or buying whole wheat bread instead of white), once I saw those start to make a difference it helped me make more changes.
That’s what I did too. I weaned off/down sugar, cheese and things like that. I still let myself have them so I never felt deprived; I just limited them. Not being “appetite ruled” especially emotionally was kind of empowering.

I worked up to physical exercise too. But my goal was not weight loss; it was just to be consistent about moving. The weight loss was a bonus.

I’m working on reestablishing those habits. Life got busy but I just have to tell myself “this is what I do.” I’ve found keeping things simple is MUCH better at motivating me. I have a fitbit and trying to track and log stuff got old fast!

Guys, this onesie speaks to the deepest part of my soul.
That’s so cute!! :lol: As mybestie would say; poor you! :hugs: Only another 6 months or so. (Or whenever you guys decide to wean.) Personally I’d be planning which foods to celebrate (ease the mama’s heart) through the transition. But theres that being food motivated again. :rolleyes2: A friend of mine said he dropped a lot of weight when he gave up cheese. I don’t want to take it *that* far and make it forbidden fruit.:lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s what I did too. I weaned off/down sugar, cheese and things like that. I still let myself have them so I never felt deprived; I just limited them. Not being “appetite ruled” especially emotionally was kind of empowering.

I worked up to physical exercise too. But my goal was not weight loss; it was just to be consistent about moving. The weight loss was a bonus.
I was definitely trying to lose weight then! I had gained about 50lbs in about three years due to depression and stress eating and I was so unhappy. I'd managed to lose about 30 of it before the wedding and another 5 before I got pregnant. I'd still like to lose a bit more, but I feel like I have to be really careful not to say that in front of J because even though she's so young I want to model healthy thinking. I talk about how I weight lift so I can be strong enough to carry her, and how stroller strides will hopefully give me more endurance to keep up with her (cardio has always been my weakness).

That’s so cute!! :lol: As mybestie would say; poor you! :hugs: Only another 6 months or so. (Or whenever you guys decide to wean.) Personally I’d be planning which foods to celebrate (ease the mama’s heart) through the transition. But theres that being food motivated again. :rolleyes2: A friend of mine said he dropped a lot of weight when he gave up cheese. I don’t want to take it *that* far and make it forbidden fruit.:lol:
I'm hoping to start the dairy ladder with her in a few months to see if she's outgrown any of her intolerance. If she could even handle just baked milk and butter, even if she can't do cheese yet, going out to eat would be a lot easier!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now used and new car prices are just insane, so you will end up paying much more than you expect for a used one and might not be able to get a new one for months. So given that it is probably best to spend the money to repair the one you have.
. We want to get a truck as our next vehicle I cannot believe how many miles some of these used ones have. :(

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am trying to figure out if you can get dried lime zest to use in place of fresh in recipes. I have a marinade I make in summer that uses fresh lime zest, juice, cilantro and jalapenos. It's fabulous! But I've had a hard time getting limes in my grocery order recently. And lime juice. So I'm trying to find an alternative because I have at least half a dozen jalapenos on the counter. And more on the plant. :lol:

I also need more jalapeno recipes. :crazy:

thatphysicsteacher

Just another “catty” teacher
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying to figure out if you can get dried lime zest to use in place of fresh in recipes. I have a marinade I make in summer that uses fresh lime zest, juice, cilantro and jalapenos. It's fabulous! But I've had a hard time getting limes in my grocery order recently. And lime juice. So I'm trying to find an alternative because I have at least half a dozen jalapenos on the counter. And more on the plant. :lol:

I also need more jalapeno recipes. :crazy:
omg that sounds sooooo good! In the words of Ina Garten, if you don’t have fresh, store bought is fine! haha, in other words, that’s still gonna be an incredible marinade without fresh lime zest :)
That’s so cool you have a jalapeño plant!! I always love grilled jalapeños but I guess that’s not really a recipe but I’ll keep an eye out :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
omg that sounds sooooo good! In the words of Ina Garten, if you don’t have fresh, store bought is fine! haha, in other words, that’s still gonna be an incredible marinade without fresh lime zest :)
That’s so cool you have a jalapeño plant!! I always love grilled jalapeños but I guess that’s not really a recipe but I’ll keep an eye out :)
Jalapenos are actually really easy to grow! I have one in a large pot on my patio. This year I got a "heatless" variety. It tastes good but next year i want this one and a regular. lol

I love the marinade. I usually double the recipe and cook it down after the chicken cooks; then put it over rice like a sauce. Even my DD loves it!
You can, although I wouldn't know where to find it locally. Any specialty spice stores in the area? Maybe lemon zest would be almost as good, although it does lack that lime zing.

Amazon.com : lime zest
We have a place that sells bulk goods including spices. I may run there this afternoon. I need another bag of bay leaves anyway. I got one a couple weeks ago for $.99! If they don't have it; I'll go with something off Amazon if it isn't too expensive. I've never tried lemon with jalapeons but I can't see how it would be bad.

Have you ever tried the True Lemon or True Lime packets? It's crystalized lemon and lime. DH got them to add to water as flavor but they come in shaker bottles and they are AMAZING!! They have a lime/garlicl/cilantro (salt free!) blend that I put on almost everything. Especially my egg whites in the morning. So so good! Amazon has their Lemon Pepper too so I might have to order that eventually. I use the plain lemon on fish and it's really good!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would scout around til you find limes, use the zest for your recipe and then freeze the remaining zest. I think that would work better than dried. Also, you can buy bottles of lime juice, same place in aisles as lemon juice.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would scout around til you find limes, use the zest for your recipe and then freeze the remaining zest. I think that would work better than dried. Also, you can buy bottles of lime juice, same place in aisles as lemon juice.
The lime juice has been out of stock too! I used up a lot of what I have last week making the marinade. I need to try another grocery store to see what they have. I wonder if I could pre-measure the lime zest with the jalapeños and pop them in the freezer in the same bag. :think: Then I can just grab one for each marinade. The fresh lime zest really adds so much flavor! I add a little lime to chili and tacos too.

I did finally get a resolution/refund for my ebay purchase. I also communicated directly with another seller to confirm the one she’s selling is complete. I bid now so I’m praying I get it!

I also now have TWO sets of DD’s history curriculum! :doh: The retailer I ordered it from back in June sent me a notification it was still out of stock and not expected in until after school starts for us. So I tried ordering directly from the publisher. All weekend it was crazy busy but I was looking for a shipping update from them. So I was thrilled when DS brought in this big box today. I jumped on the other retailer’s website to cancel the one from them…and it had shipped this morning!:doh: The shipping notification from the publisher was in my spam folder.:doh:

I can return it. Its just a heavy box. 9 pounds… And returns aren’t free. Oy.:rolleyes2:

Status
Not open for further replies.