The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
They still look good. I hope you get to see them. What happen to Bill Wyman? I know Brian Jones drown. I have not kept up with them. My sister went to a Stones concert and her friend was able to get on the stage and she ran up and touched Mick. That was before they hired Hells Angels to protect them. Keith Richards will live forever. LOL. The Beatles were my favorite. I never got to see them.
Bill Wyman left in 1992 due to some kind of disagreement with Keith Richards and the pressure of learning songs to play at concerts. He's still obviously good friends with Charlie Watts though. I have the ticket, so why wouldn't I get to see them? My Mom didn't buy the ticket for me to not use. lol I guess that was also before Gimme Shelter tour because Hells Angels attempted to take Mick Jagger's life several times.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Digging up old family records, I discovered that my dad's father's father's last name was actually spelt McGhie which means that our last name is spelt wrong (got misspelt somewhere along the line and wasn't corrected). He is allegedly from Scotland but I can't find any record proving that except for a birth registry from Scotland with the same name and year he was born. But it doesn't show his middle name and I can't find immigration records proving that he left Scotland. I'm wondering if there is someone I can contact that might have a physical record of major events like that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just never know with geneology. I know someone who started looking into their family history, their last name was McGregor so of course the assumption was that their background was Scottish. It turns out that they were German; the family name was just Gregor but somewhere along the immigration line some official thought "hey, Gregor isn't a last name, let's fix this" and boom, they were McGregors.

I also know people who are related but spell the same last name differently, because that's how their respective ancestors decided to spell it. I guess spelling wasn't terribly important back then.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunny, high of 92 with heat index of 108 today. Wet food served to cats with lots and lots of water in shady spots. They despise ice cold water or ice in water. It also happens to be the day that Mom has to have her hair done just so she looks pretty sitting around the house. Ugh. And grocery shopping. Once I'm on my own all groceries will be delivered to house. This is Tourmaline's first Friday since coming back. It may take some getting used to again.

I have my neck fan because I'm susceptible to heat strokes, but Mom doesn't care. I guess I should complain about her though. She did buy a ticket so I can see the Rolling Stones and she doesn't even like them.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
You just never know with geneology. I know someone who started looking into their family history, their last name was McGregor so of course the assumption was that their background was Scottish. It turns out that they were German; the family name was just Gregor but somewhere along the immigration line some official thought "hey, Gregor isn't a last name, let's fix this" and boom, they were McGregors.

I also know people who are related but spell the same last name differently, because that's how their respective ancestors decided to spell it. I guess spelling wasn't terribly important back then.
That's interesting. How would I find out for sure?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Digging up old family records, I discovered that my dad's father's father's last name was actually spelt McGhie which means that our last name is spelt wrong (got misspelt somewhere along the line and wasn't corrected). He is allegedly from Scotland but I can't find any record proving that except for a birth registry from Scotland with the same name and year he was born. But it doesn't show his middle name and I can't find immigration records proving that he left Scotland. I'm wondering if there is someone I can contact that might have a physical record of major events like that.
you could get a subscription to Ancestry.com for a couple months. They have immigration and naturalization records that might pinpoint when the spelling changed. It isn’t uncommon for this to happen. On my father’s side a Scottish ancestor was Macclesfeld and they became Maxfield when they came to the US.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily we've used ancestry. I remember using it at the library with my mom and somehow finding someone's ship record with her last name totally mangled. Another issue is that everyone wrote with blotty ink in cursive back then, so when I saw the actual picture of the log the name looked right, but the person who typed it into the database made their best guess.

We've also had some luck with census records. My mom's done more of it than me, but gives you info to get birth and death certificates. And the Mormon database is huge. I think their website is FamilySearch.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least 3 of my great-grandparents had their last names changed when they came to America. 2 were intentional by my great-grandparents. The other was not and some family has reverted to the proper spelling. There is/was some family that had contact by letter with relatives in the old country too.

I was looking up some family names earlier this year and confirmed with my cousin that the stuff on Ancestry is not all correct. My great-grandmothers name is even wrong. She had 8 children and those names and dates were wrong. One was murdered as a child just before my Grandma was born (so about 103 years ago now) but they had the record as him passing in the 70s. We think that they combined a nephew named for him with his information. Another sister died as a young mother and she wasn’t listed accurately either. My cousin is a lot closer to that side so she knew the extended family better and remembers these things. So maybe someday she’ll fix it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I opened Lola’s door for a few hours but it was pretty uneventful since she hid in her room the whole time. If I walked in and talked to her she would come out but hide immediately as soon as I left the room. We will do it every morning until she gets more confident with exploring.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grr... I just got 2 ebay orders from piecing together our health curriculum for the school year. I had a hard time matching editions to availalbe pieces. The current one doesn't have a separate teacher's manual for the health because they now combine it with science. So I managed to find everything in 2 purchases. The listing for the 2 keys and workbook said like new condition. And the books look good.. But the worksheet book has the first 30 pages cut out. I went back to the listing and if you read it one way it only says the other 2 answer keys are like new. But it doesn't specifically say that that the worksheet/test/quiz booklet is half missing either. 😠

So because it's an older edition I can't find JUST that piece I need. I'm trying to compare the current workbook to see how much has changed. It's not completely identical but it looks like that won't be a huge issue. I can only view a handful of pages. The one I have has them write definitions on one; but the current has a word bank to choose from. So very workable and I have a solution. It's just going to cost me more. I don't meet the minimum for free shipping because I placed that order earlier this week and it already shipped. Only one person on ebay has the worksheets (and you better bet I'll verify it's the FULL workbook!! Plus the I'll have 3 copies of the answer key! :rolleyes2:) And that doesnt save me much either. I'm just not excited to pay $6 shipping on a $9 workbook. Or I could spend $9 on an "Acceptable" one that I have to verify has all the pages.

It's just a hassle after I thought i was finally done! :runaround:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
At least 3 of my great-grandparents had their last names changed when they came to America. 2 were intentional by my great-grandparents. The other was not and some family has reverted to the proper spelling. There is/was some family that had contact by letter with relatives in the old country too.

I was looking up some family names earlier this year and confirmed with my cousin that the stuff on Ancestry is not all correct. My great-grandmothers name is even wrong. She had 8 children and those names and dates were wrong. One was murdered as a child just before my Grandma was born (so about 103 years ago now) but they had the record as him passing in the 70s. We think that they combined a nephew named for him with his information. Another sister died as a young mother and she wasn’t listed accurately either. My cousin is a lot closer to that side so she knew the extended family better and remembers these things. So maybe someday she’ll fix it.
This is the problem I've been running into as well. Birth dates not matching, wrong ages, absent information in some cases. It's really difficult to verify anything. Someone I met recently got me interested in my family history so this is why I've been trying to piece everything together. I hope one day, I'm able to complete the family tree.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bill Wyman left in 1992 due to some kind of disagreement with Keith Richards and the pressure of learning songs to play at concerts. He's still obviously good friends with Charlie Watts though. I have the ticket, so why wouldn't I get to see them? My Mom didn't buy the ticket for me to not use. lol I guess that was also before Gimme Shelter tour because Hells Angels attempted to take Mick Jagger's life several times.
I didn't know you already had a ticket. I bet it cost a small fortune. Your mother does love you. The only concerts Iv'e been to was Elton John and Rod Stewart. They were good but I just don't like the crowds and traffic.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the problem I've been running into as well. Birth dates not matching, wrong ages, absent information in some cases. It's really difficult to verify anything. Someone I met recently got me interested in my family history so this is why I've been trying to piece everything together. I hope one day, I'm able to complete the family tree.
If you go on Ancestry you may find others who are also working on branches of your family tree. It’s also worth spending $100 on their DNA test because they will provide you with a list of other people you are related to. I found my father’s biological father that way and dozens of relatives.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , my grandparents also referred to it as “the old country”.

Status
Not open for further replies.