The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Watching Godzilla marathon on Comet tv over the air channel. Gypsy in hiding from fireworks. We are in the city but they are everywhere, started Thursday night. Last night I called the police to report loud ones about a block away operator said officers are all over city hoping to catch illegal folks. They also have traffic stop points to get impaired drivers off the streets.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fever was completely gone this morning. Hasn't come back.

Everything is packed and in the car. Kids are sleeping in their clothes. Getting up at 5, buckling kids in, and driving. Hoping to be on the road by 515. We'll stop somewhere for breakfast and the BBQ will be waiting when we get to my aunt's. With any luck, we'll get to get place by noon.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fever was completely gone this morning. Hasn't come back.

Everything is packed and in the car. Kids are sleeping in their clothes. Getting up at 5, buckling kids in, and driving. Hoping to be on the road by 515. We'll stop somewhere for breakfast and the BBQ will be waiting when we get to my aunt's. With any luck, we'll get to get place by noon.
Have a great weekend and I’m glad you little one’s fever broke!

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far my kitty that’s still inside doesn’t seem to be bothered with the sound of the fireworks going off around us. Last year we had our own fireworks display, and it did seem to bother the dog more than the cats. My dog tired to climb under the computer desk

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We are working with a dog trainer for our new 9 week old golden retriever Casey. First session is next Thursday but we had a meet and greet. The trainer mentioned that we shouldn’t comfort her for things like fireworks and instead ignore it. Comforting tells them there is something to worry about and going about business as usual let’s them know it’s no big deal. Counterintuitive but we are going to give it a try.

It’s honestly been so overwhelming with this new puppy. She is the most bitiest puppy I’ve ever met, almost every interaction she is going after shoes, pants, legs, ankles, arms, faces. Ignoring and redirecting don’t seem to work and we are almost regretting the whole thing. Hopefully the trainer will have good advice. We are figuring out the best cadence to manage her energy and prevent overtiredness but it hasn’t been easy.

She is pretty cute though ...
3EB8EE10-2728-4AF5-92F3-C655D168425E.jpeg

7C493242-A21D-4532-8ECC-E1659F97492C.jpeg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We are working with a dog trainer for our new 9 week old golden retriever Casey. First session is next Thursday but we had a meet and greet. The trainer mentioned that we shouldn’t comfort her for things like fireworks and instead ignore it. Comforting tells them there is something to worry about and going about business as usual let’s them know it’s no big deal. Counterintuitive but we are going to give it a try.

It’s honestly been so overwhelming with this new puppy. She is the most bitiest puppy I’ve ever met, almost every interaction she is going after shoes, pants, legs, ankles, arms, faces. Ignoring and redirecting don’t seem to work and we are almost regretting the whole thing. Hopefully the trainer will have good advice. We are figuring out the best cadence to manage her energy and prevent overtiredness but it hasn’t been easy.

She is pretty cute though ...
View attachment 386772

View attachment 386773
Good advice. When Willow gets frightened I have to ignore it for exactly that reason.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had neighbors who were letting off fireworks and there were some pretty big mortars going off. With bubbles being displaced at the moment I’m sure she was probably hiding from the noise. But my other cat “ grey kitty “ has just been laying on the back of the couch not bothered by any of it

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is the most bitiest puppy I’ve ever met, almost every interaction she is going after shoes, pants, legs, ankles, arms, faces.
Have you ever had a retriever pup before? Retrievers are ALL MOUTH. That's what they're bred for after all. My family's first dog was a Lab and we had the worst time with her. Eventually we started jamming a toy into her mouth whenever she went for us and for the rest of her life she would grab a toy when she got excited. It does improve a little after they're 18 months or so, but ugh, retriever pups are such land sharks. I hope the trainer has some good tips for you, try to cut back on the amount of time you're bleeding, lol.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a retriever pup before? Retrievers are ALL MOUTH. That's what they're bred for after all. My family's first dog was a Lab and we had the worst time with her. Eventually we started jamming a toy into her mouth whenever she went for us and for the rest of her life she would grab a toy when she got excited. It does improve a little after they're 18 months or so, but ugh, retriever pups are such land sharks. I hope the trainer has some good tips for you, try to cut back on the amount of time you're bleeding, lol.
No, this is the first Retriever puppy I’ve dealt with and I had no idea. We did breed research for good family dogs that would be good with cats and babies but I never saw anything about the puppy bitiness. My parents had Westie puppies and I expected a similar experience. We are getting better with her but it’s been a frustrating learning curve.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No, this is the first Retriever puppy I’ve dealt with and I had no idea. We did breed research for good family dogs that would be good with cats and babies but I never saw anything about the puppy bitiness. My parents had Westie puppies and I expected a similar experience. We are getting better with her but it’s been a frustrating learning curve.
We had Labrador retrievers all the years I was growing up and we started training when they were a couple months old. It was just some of the basics like sit or to come when called but these dogs love to learn and it can help with the obnoxious baby stuff.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure and Sopdet for the most part are not bothered but when one almost hit Treasure I do believe he needed a bit of comfort regardless of what anyone says. The ones that sound like cannons or bombs are the ones that bother me the most. Remember though, loud noises hurt a cats ear, it doesn't just scare them or annoy them. I think a lot of people forget that. And what I dislike the most about fireworks are the neighbors that point their fireworks toward your house. So far local hospital admitted 10 people with burns and other fireworks related injuries (I have a friend who works the hospital) and on person almost had his house catch fire from people not being responsible. It is illegal but with police leaving the force and some of our police forces in St Louis are being eliminated there is only so much they can do. I guess just let the houses burn down huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.