The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thing about Blue's Clues is that they played the same episode all week, because kids like repetition. I babysat for 2 kids whose mother was gone in the mornings, just about the time Blue's Clues came on. I like the show! But watching the same episode every day for a week drove me insane. Although it's still definitely better than Barney or Teletubbies or other toddler shows.

I absolutely cannot stand the live-actions kids' shows on the Disney Channel. The hammy acting and stupid storylines are so annoying. I would have been embarrassed to watch those past age 6, I think. . .
Yes!! It's super annoying! They get worse the longer they go on.

The one that has been pretty good is Disney's The Secrets of Sulphur Springs. It's PG but I'm not really sure of their target audience. It's just a nicely done time-travel mystery series.

And Barney was banned in my house. :lol: Along with Dora. The kids could watch those at someone else's house; but not at home! :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We avoided those two. I was always leery of YouTube for kids and we didn’t have cable so i think we missed a lot! We didn’t miss Cailou though.:cringe: That was the first show I connected to poor behavior. Arthur was another! Thankfully they were good with dvds and then netflix. They will still pull out Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or My Little Ponies on occasion.
We've definitely discussed that at such time as J ends up with a tablet (and we're trying to put off screens for her as long as we can and block her from seeing the tv 95% of the time), we're going to make sure to take off youtube/youtube kids and just download games and shows to watch. There's so much junk that gets through the filters.

Alicia88 Alicia88 - I saw Bluey on Disney + when I was babysitting last summer. It's so cute! I also enjoyed TOTS.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've so far managed to prevent my kids from knowing that Barney exists. I threatened my little sister with great bodily harm.
Just remind her of what they say about paybacks!!

I was always very concious of that when buying gifts for my nieces and nephews before I had kids. :lol:

It turned out the most annoying toy we had was an approved purchase. It's a toy piano that meows notes and plays music. I hid it in a closet for years but they found it last year; so we made it a "garage only" toy. Unfortunately I can still hear it all in my head... :hmmm::lol2:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm completely extra and ordered the play kits from Lovevery because I figured they're an investment of gender neutral high quality toys I can also use for a second child, so I'm really trying to keep J from getting addicted to technology too early because I know it will come later.

And my in-laws gave us this flashing light music maker for her baptism.
0621211319~2.jpg

It's not bad as far as noisemaker toys go, but J likes it and it's going to get annoying fast. Oh well.

Love Mr Rogers. Daniel Tiger is a good spiritual successor.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! Daniel Tiger was popular here. I loved the Wonderpets too. :lol:

The other bad toy I chose was a ball popper. Both my kids were scared of it at first butquickly loved it. It was just loud with the motor and little tune. Thankfully they never tried what my friends son did… He put a handfull of cereal in it. It went everywhere.:flail:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Temps are very pleasant. Considering it was 101 with 105 heat index on Friday in some parts of St Louis and now it's 55 degrees with no heat index. Yea I'll take today over Friday.

One of the female raccoons had 7 babies. Usually they have 2 to 5 although I guess 7 is not unheard of. Treasure was laying on the bricks under the steps til all 7 showed up and he takes off like "Nope, not tonight. I'm outta here". They all ate and then the babies came back a few hours later to play. haha that was a sight. I leave food out for them because they do eat the cockroaches that seem to be in hoardes this year, I guess from this crazy weather. So I need to feed the exterminators.

Anybody here play Skillz games? I'm getting kind of good with the Bingo as well as their gin rummy.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom with her toenails. She needs help clipping but then she complains or puts it off. I'm on verge of saying "Schedule an appointment for a pedicure". The fussing goes on for weeks and then she complains that I don't clip her nails but when I approach her to do so she doesn't want them done just yet. I'd have less hassle trimming the claws of these feral cats then getting Mom to sit down for the 5 or 10 minutes it takes to do her toenails. Any tips though for those with nerve damage in both hands? I can't even clip my own because it's hard on the hands. Not a lot of strength

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally got to try the Hawaiian bagels I kept trying to order but were out of stock when I’d get my grocery order. I thought they’d make a good egg bagel sandwich since we like the buns so much. It ended up being too sweet and savory for me. 🥴 Kind of a letdown. The kids might like them on their own so they won’t be wasted.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My morning started well with my tree being cut down but the afternoon with the dementia auntie was a challenge. She was having a not great mental day and I had to spend a good deal of time explaining how to use the cordless house phone that she has had for at least ten years. My patience wore off before everything got done so I am going back tomorrow for hopefully just a short while.

Status
Not open for further replies.