The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve always wondered if people really liked the ebook textbooks.
While they are convenient, I'd rather have a physical book. I'm often on the computer enough writing papers and doing research stuff and it was nice being able to do school work off the computer. And also being able to carry it outside easily to use and hold it in my hands.

Weather is warming up and will be sitting outside for a bit soon. The mobile game I play opened up a new album today, so I will be starting to use my saved rolls.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While they are convenient, I'd rather have a physical book. I'm often on the computer enough writing papers and doing research stuff and it was nice being able to do school work off the computer. And also being able to carry it outside easily to use and hold it in my hands.

Weather is warming up and will be sitting outside for a bit soon. The mobile game I play opened up a new album today, so I will be starting to use my saved rolls.
E-readers are great. I love my Kindle Fire and use it all the time. What they are NOT good for IMO is textbooks and cookbooks.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe landscape with some ornamental grasses? That could be a good compromise.

Our old neighbor whose house had to be torn down used to get out there with an old fashioned push mower around the house because she was afraid of snakes. 😣 She was in her 80s and her grandkids didn’t come mow often enough. We are in the country and some yards look nicer than others. I’ve got this daydream about having acerage and making the road frontage a wildflower area for the pollinators. In my mind it would be the best of both worlds; looking nice and beneficial to nature.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
E-readers are great. I love my Kindle Fire and use it all the time. What they are NOT good for IMO is textbooks and cookbooks.
I bring my paperwhite everywhere with me. It fits great in my purse. My kids have the Fire10” and they are heavy after a while! But the larger screen is better for their spelling/reading tile app. I occasionally try to use my phone to refer to a recipe while cooking but I don’t like scrolling.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a second generation Kindle when I commuted on the train. It was convenient, and held lots of books.
It was great because I could adjust the font size.

I did find it awkward when at home. The light was not large or strong enough for my liking.

I love the feel of a real book. And I live easily going back to recap and bookmark things.

Oh, I still have that same Kindle! Still works. Still prefer real books.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, my recipes are all on my phone. I'm so used to cooking that way.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lol, my recipes are all on my phone. I'm so used to cooking that way.
I don't have many physical cookbooks either because I find them cumbersome and rarely, if ever, use a recipe for cooking. I do for baking as it is more of a science. I use Allrecipes for that. I print the recipe and if I make any adjustments I can just write them on the paper. I'm over physical books in general as they take up space and gather dust.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have binders full of recipes. I print them and keep them in sleeve protectors so they don’t get dirty. I like making notes on the page for how we liked something or any changes I made. Sometimes I double or triple recipes but want it printed in a normal quantity. So it’s nice to just jot it down. I cook with recipes a lot less than I did when I was younger and the kids were smaller. Now I feel like I mostly throw meals together. 😅
I used a second generation Kindle when I commuted on the train.
I think my first kindle was a 2nd generation. I had a separate book light for it. I traded it for the Paperwhite 5/6 years ago I think. The side lighting is so much nicer than the first one I had.

I remember thinking I’d never like ereaders but I proved myself wrong! I do read the occasional paperback still. And magazines aren’t the same (but some are interactive and that’s cool). I probably wouldn’t read as much without my kindle. And several of my favorite authors are self-published on Amazon. I think nonfiction is easier to absorb via print for some reason.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, these kids. Lord save me.
Earlier, I asked Aislyn if she could grab Aedan a tissue because I was nursing Ali and the tissues are in the other side of the baby gate so Aedan doesn't make it rain tissues. 🙄
So, anyway, she does it but makes a crack about not being my butler. So I said that's what I'm gonna say the next time she asks me for something.
Anyway, I ask Aedan to grab me a diaper to change Ali because he's decided that it's his calling in life to always grab the diapers and if anyone else does it, we have a meltdown. So he did and Aislyn grabs the wipes and Aedan freaks out so I toss the wipes across the room and ask him to get them for me. 🙄
K, so then I'm drinking from a glass and nursing the baby so I say, "Can one of you please set this on the desk?" Aedan yells, "Me do it, me do it!" He grabs it and puts it on the desk.
Aislyn says, "next time she asks one of us to do something, I get to do it!" And I'm like, dude, 3 hours ago you were complaining that you're not my butler. Pick a lane.
Anyway, so I'm packing my bags and heading to Bermuda. Anyone wanna come?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't used one before, but it is good for me to do things without technology and screens. My eyes get more tired and I can get headaches with screens, but with books this hasn't been an issue.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
He came back again later in the day so my mom and I cut the grass. Guess I can set up an area for gardening now and maybe some flowers. My biggest annoyance was that he wasn't wearing a mask any of the times he came over and we breathing on our screen door looking to see if anyone was inside the house.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
whats on my mind is Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 .. i met her last year on here and shes been a very great friend to me and so i wish that i could be there for her
I know... We all love Mamanyt... I have know her for many years.. as I am sure many people on here have also..
She will be ok.. Have faith.. any faith you use, but have faith... They will take good care of here..
I hope one of her neighbors is taking care of Hekitty...
Distance, in miles apart, makes coping with this more difficult.. as well as limited contact..

WE do not all want to keep bothering her.. She needs rest.. I know.. I was in the hospital a couple months ago.. Mamanyt was a constant support to me.. in my darkest morments, she was always there...She helps everyone... and is there for all....
I can honestly say, that I really love her..
Wish we lived closer...

But things will be ok... they will be....
My candle is still going...

strider rose strider rose , Take care of yourself...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came across a facebook post about an incident where a teenage girl had been sitting alone livestreaming when an adult man approached her. He asked about a chair at the table she was sitting at being used and she said it wasn't thinking he would take it. Instead he sat down and kept trying to talk to her and hold her hand. She was CLEARLY uncomfortable and flustered by the situation. It was hard to watch and you don't even see the guy; just the look on her face. I ended up showing both my kids so we could talk about it. I didn't tell them what was going on; just asked them to watch. DD was spot on in her interpretation. We've had conversations about strangers and things over the years. But I guess now we've taken the next step into situations like this. :disappointed: Sad but necessary and I'm sad that it's necessary. :sigh:

I guess the girl deleted her video (it was originallyon tiktok) but I'm grateful she shared because it'll help other girls. And boys. Boys are not immune and everyone needs to learn how to interact and set boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.