The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also had brought my pink elephant stuffie and really glad I did, even though everyone who talked with me seemed to glance at it and notice it curled up against my side. I felt embarrassed at first, but I think it was comforting to have and thankful I got over it and decided to bring it.
I was just on the couch snuggling DS's stuffed Pluto so who would I be to talk? I've always slept better hugging something to my chest too; so I've been married for 18 years next month and never stopped sleeping with a stuffed-something really. It's a king size pillow now; but I have several stuffed animals on the bed that either DH or the kids gave me. If it comforts you and relieves anxiety; go for it. It's sure not hurting anyone! :) Unless you told them you don't have children; they might have assumed it belonged to your kid.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow so I think I'm going to set up the splash pad I got for the kids. The only problem is one set of neighbor kids.

Currently, we have 3 close neighbors with kids playing outside. Aedan loves playing with anyone and everyone. Two of those neighbors supervise their kids and I'm fine with them joining in the splash pad play. The third neighbor does not. The three kids are always running outside while mom is inside with her baby. She was pregnant last summer, so he's under a year old. But I don't think that's a valid excuse because I was always outside right after Ali was born keeping an eye on Aedan. I put my chair in the shade to protect her from the sun and kept him in my sight. These kids are older than Aedan but younger than Aislyn.

They don't have any boundaries. One evening when we weren't home, they were on our back patio messing with the power wheel and grabbing the kids' scooters and one of our neighbors chased them off. That really irritated me. Plus, when they're outside, I feel obligated to supervise them.

I'm really not comfortable having them play in the water - even if it is just a splash pad - without their parent supervising. I don't like to be rude or mean, but if they come over, I'm going to tell them they can't play unless their mother comes out, too. I feel bad, but I have my own 2 very small kids to watch. Also, as little as Ali is, I'm not going to want a ton of rowdy kids in the splash pad with her. It's just not safe.

Anyway, on a cuter note, I'm going to leave this here. 20210426_020347.jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Lari Lari Nice to know others with cute stuffies that bring them comfort to cuddle. I got my pink elephant while away at school and was just in the mood to get it one day. I was at goodwill and stood in front of the stuffed animals and let someone call out to be that felt right. And there was a bright pink elephant with neon green accents on the ears, feet, etc, and knew that was the one!

I don't like to be rude or mean, but if they come over, I'm going to tell them they can't play unless their mother comes out, too.
That is a completely valid boundary to make. If they take it as mean or rude, that is about them. You are keeping the kids safety in mind as well as what you feel comfortable with. Especially considering you own the splash pad, you have a right to say who can use it and when.

Weather is getting hotter today, too. Excited to sit outside on the deck later!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been accused of being a helicopter parent due to my rules about water. I refuse to take kids swimming unless there is 1 adult per non swimming child. That means Aislyn is going to have to learn to swim or we will need someone else to come with us.
We were going to get her swimming lessons last summer, but covid happened and they also tore the pool down to rebuild it. I'm not sure when it's supposed to be finished, but covid is still a problem so she might not get to learn this year, either.
I'm not requiring an adult per child with the splash pad since the water is not deep. I know that kids can drown in less than an inch of water, but I won't have to worry about leaving one kid to his/her own devices while I swim to rescue the other one. I'm still not comfortable being responsible for 5 kids, 3 of whom aren't even mine, during water play.

I'm just kind of expecting these kids to make a big deal about it. They seem very entitled and take toys and things off all the neighbors' patios. When our neighbor chased them off our back patio, John came home to go talk to their mother. She said, "oh, where are they?" Lady, it's your responsibility to know that!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
When I wa a small child, I had a baby doll, which I got when I must have been about 3 years old.. i had to always have it around me. It was worn, hair was falling out from me brushing and hugging it... It was my "Tiny".... from the very old 'Tiny Tears" Doll... I needed her for security. Never went to bed without clutching her to me...

Now that I am an adult (?) and old... I got a stuffed item from the Original Disney World, when it was in it's infancy.. It is not politically correct, but I always loved the character~~ "Dopy" from Snow White.. I guess now, we can say that 'Dopey" was "On the Spectrum"... but he was always a favorite of mine.. I just gravitated towards him...I guess the beginnings of my caregiving....
He has been around for me, and has caught many of my tears.... Seams splitting and all.... He sleeps above my bed... holding on to the top of the headboard...

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt lived in Wisconsin and we visited the Olde Style Brewery when I was a toddler. I got a teddy bear with an Olde Style T-shirt that I slept with basically until college (after a while it was just physically comfortable to sleep with, not emotionally needed lol). I picked off all the letters on the shirt over time though, I wish I hadn’t.

I think my parents still have it in their house somewhere. They are coming to visit next month and I think they are trying to bring all my old junk with them like my old dollhouse and “treasure box” of toys.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He must be just like your mother. Some rich people are mean.
Yes, they are both narcissists, only care about themselves and their own feelings. I have my one nice brother who tries to help, and my dad, but they won't stand up to her.

In related news, it's possible that Aedan was switched at birth. He rejected the KFC. That boy ain't right.
Future vegetarian maybe? :thumbsup:

Aedan, with that smug toddler attitude, "I'll poop in my pants."
Oddly, I think I had this same argument with my dad over our 1 bathroom...with similar wording...:lol:
Demi hogs the bathroom too! He will only drink his water on the bathroom sink.

Sleep tight. You're my best boy."
"Yes, I am."
I love this kid and his one liners! ❤

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aedan and Ali got to play in the splash pad a bit. Aedan doesn't like the sprinklers around the edge, but I can just fill it and it's like a little wading pool. Ali didn't want in it at first because the water was cold, but it warmed up quickly enough and then she splashed around a little until she got tired and wanted her nap.

No neighbor kids showed up! They might be in school. I don't know. My kids are too young for school so I don't keep track of whether it's in person or online or whatever on any given day. I'm just glad we got to have a peaceful afternoon. 20210426_145259.jpg 20210426_145309.jpg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 - That splash pad is huge! I don't know what I was expecting, but apparently not something that big.

MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf - prayers for Tourmaline. I hope the treatment helps him out.
I do too but I don't want to jinx it. I'm really very scared.
My cousin is going to get involved now with getting my Mom committed. Holding a cane over someone and threatening them is not normal.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just realized I got a sunburn today. :doh: I didn’t intend to be out so long and i had a long sleeve shirt over my tshirts most of the time I was outside anyway. My moisturizer has spf so my face is fine too. I just burned where the vneck is on my tshirt. Its not even a deep v!:rolleyes2: Tomorrow I guess I’ll be more diligent!

At least I’m not sporting a farmers tan from wearing my garden gloves. 😉

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized I got a sunburn today. :doh: I didn’t intend to be out so long and i had a long sleeve shirt over my tshirts most of the time I was outside anyway. My moisturizer has spf so my face is fine too. I just burned where the vneck is on my tshirt. Its not even a deep v!:rolleyes2: Tomorrow I guess I’ll be more diligent!
Aw, how bad is it? I've had days spending time on the deck where afterwards I feel so tired and blah. Realized I may have spent too much time outside or should remember to put sunscreen on. The deck is covered, but sun still comes through the screen. Most of the time indirect, but I've been trying to remember to wear sunscreen when I go out and see if it helps.

It is hitting the 80's today, wowza!

Status
Not open for further replies.